What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On a mission...

...for sex....sorta.

My purp is flowering, and I had the idea to go to a bog and collect some pollen for it, just to see how the babies would end up, being as the gene pools would be very different.

Here's just some pics from the excursion:

Pretty much what the scenery was like on the trail before the bog
DSCN3776.jpg

lil toad; he peed on me :suspect:
DSCN3778.jpg

NepAk, I figured this might interest you, considering they were gold ants
DSCN3779.jpg

DSCN3780.jpg

Und jetzt, Sarracenia flowers
DSCN3781.jpg

DSCN3783.jpg

DSCN3786.jpg

-Ben

This one was invaded by caterpillar things, and eaten on the inside
DSCN3787.jpg

Plant
DSCN3788.jpg

Dew (D. rotundifolia)
DSCN3784.jpg

Peat hole :0o:
DSCN3785.jpg

And that's about it. I have no idea if the pollen I got today pollinated my plant, but now the flower seems to be no longer nodding, but lifting upwards. ???

-Ben

Nice pics Ben. Were is this bog located?

Pretty nice pitchers. I like the D. rotundifolia picture.

Good luck with the pollination.

What are those plants with the broad leaves in the first pic? It almost looks like Hosta.

Thanks for the comments.

Jayson, it's in Mendon Ponds Park.

Clint, I think those are skunk cabbages, but I'm not sure. They were all growing in really nasty black swampy stuff.

-Ben

Neat-o pics!

And don't worry, the frog didn't pee on you. It's just water that they let out when you scare them. I forget why though.

You know you are a carnivorous plant grower when you spell "pictures" as "pitchers".

Cool dude. The peat pit looks like you could get sucked in forever, like quicksand. Nice pictures. How far did you have to travel?

xvart.

Lol, my dad and I were joking that there might be person on the other end of that branch stuck in there.

The trail isn't that long, maybe a 10 or so minute walk, prolly shorter. But there's bugs everywhere. :-(

-Ben

Well, something's obviously happened.

DSCN3791.jpg

-Ben

Preggers for sure. Petals should dry up soon.

Heh you said a funny word.

The petals dried up and I pulled 'em off. The anthers/stamens have come off with the rain, too.

-Ben

Those ants are Lasius umbratus.

Cool trip. I went to that same bog a few days ago. It's a really neat place.

Back