What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S-methoprene for mosquito control?

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Anybody know about this stuff? I went to the hardware store looking for 'Mosquito Dunks' and all I could find was Pre-Strike brand Mosquito Torpedos. I thought I had read that Mosquito Dunks contained some sort of bacteria or something, but this product is based on an insecticide. Can I still use it with my plants? I'm kind of wary.
Thanks in advance,
~Joe

I would personally stick with the bacteria ones because you already know that they're safe, and as long as there are some of those bacteria in the water the mosquito larvae will die.

Well, if I had noticed at the time, I would have. But, my hardware store only had these ones, and I didn't take the time to read the label. I can still return them, but if possible I'd rather use them than return them; it's a lot easier than cleaning out my trays every week.
~Joe

check some other stores and if you have to call around, the bacteria dunks are awesome!
I used one and broke it up last year at about this time and it kept them away all year, and I scooped up a bit of water before it got cold and put it in a jar, this spring I found a dish with some mosquito larvae in it so I poured it in there and the next day they were all dead.
loose the isecticide man, go all natural

I haven't a clue, but Bugweed recommends non-stick spray, like PAM, on the water surface. I think they just can't breathe.

You could just change the water.

Back