What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sometimes i hate my wife..............

well after a couple really bad months with my knees i convinced myself that i needed to try cortisone injections again. my appointment was this afternoon. as is typical i spent about an hour in the exam room waiting to see my doc.....now i was just going to go up by myself but the wife insisted in tagging along.

for some background i had my appendix out in the seventh grade. it was a rough experience for me even though as it turns out i didnt have appendicitis. it took 3 nurses over a half hour...believe me i timed them....of trying to get an IV in me about the time they ran out of places in both arms to try one and started discussing putting one in my foot i kinda......sorta.....flipped out. anyways they then called an anesthesiologist in and in 30 seconds had an IV in my arm....needless to say i developed a hatred for needles.
ofcourse my wife knows this and the needles for cortisone injections into the knee joint arent small and quite a bit of meds get pushed in.....it took 2 months of bad pain and psyching myself up to even request it be done....

so while im waiting for my shots today my oh so loving wife desides she is bored and going to have some fun and starts in on just how big the needle is going to be and maybe they should do each shot in two parts instead of one....and so on and so forth.....after about 20 minutes of this i threaten to toss her out of the room. i think she figured i was serious cause she quit for the most part...........anyways both shots are done....my knees are good and numb except the extra fluid increased the pressure in the joints quite a bit so the feel funky. ive got atleast 2 maybe 3 days of being pain free do to the other 2 meds in the shot hopefully the cortisone kicks in good after that and im good for awhile.

doc says if this doesnt work next step is chicken cartilage injections once a week for several weeks............ :0o:

Then I'll call you chicken legs. I wonder if your knees will point the other way and you'll need a special chair?

Lol, really I do hope you get better. Pain sucks. And how is your tolerance/dependency on opiates these days? Have you considered acupuncture? That way instead of one big needle, you get lots of little ones all...over...your...whole...body. Doesn't that sound like fun?

Ouch, sorry to hear about that. Maybe she will get the hint and stay home next time. You know, making a nice hot supper with an ice cold beer waiting for you.

Down PAK !!

i agree with you, droseraguy. Have the wife the get the beer ready, football, and her magic fingers to massage your feet.

Down PAK !!

rofl Whuuuut?? You think I'd say something about icky beer?? :rolleyes: :D

I've had a cortisone shot and it was creeeepy. You can feel the goo slithering out into your body. Right now I need cortisone for my foot, but I am going to try to get an oral steroid so I don't have to deal with a shot.

Other than that, I tolerate needles Ok. After having allergy shots twice a week for two years and then a week in the hospital getting dilaudid every 3 hrs...you kinda get over it. I certainly don't like shots but...I can deal with them.

Good luck on the knees. It doesn't sound fun. :( Maybe if you stopped doing all that walking around hunting...... :rolleyes: *ducking!*

Maybe if you stopped doing all that walking around hunting...... *ducking!*

how could you say such a thing!!!!!!!! be nice.......im headed out this weekend(if it quits raining) to take wild flower pics and maybe a few critter pics out in some of my hunting grounds.....if you aint going to be nice i wont post them here :censor: :poke: :grin:

hehe Now that's the kind of "shooting" I like. :hug:

Try Apitheripy, sting your self with bees repeatedly! Honey bees of course. I know it doesn't sound fun But its got to beat getting a huge needle shoved into your knee. I don't know if it would help your problem.

Disclamer! I dont have any medical knowladge, but what I have read on the web. and dont do it if you are allergic!

nep ak ive heard of that treatment for arthritis.....i dont have that, infact my problems about the exact opposite, my cartilage doesnt stop growing so it produces folds and spurs that catch and grind as the knee moves.......

who knows, it might help. But you probably have done more research and know more about it for me.

nep ak ive heard of that treatment for arthritis.....i dont have that, infact my problems about the exact opposite, my cartilage doesnt stop growing so it produces folds and spurs that catch and grind as the knee moves.......

I am really alergic with bee stings,
When I get stung my arm,leg,
or whatever would get super
swollen for a few days :censor:

That's rough, rattler. I hope you start to respond to treatment. Does your doctor have you doing any sort of physical therapy type of stuff? It doesn't sound like a problem that exercises will correct, but some targeted stretching might make you a little more comfortable, at least.
~Joe

he says work out on an exercise bike.....low impact while doing lots to build up the leg muscles........

Good thing the steer wrestling and branding is done !

My father had knee problems after blowing up an ACL playing (touch) football in high school. He got into bike riding in his 40s and eventually noticed his knee wasn't a problem anymore. The better developed muscles had taken over some of the work from the ligaments. But I think you have a very different problem. I hope you find something that works with a lot less reliance on the pharmaceutical industry. Maybe there's a medicine man at the res.

will look for a medicine man

learned something tonight about my left knee, now that the swelling caused by the shot has gone down and the cortisone has started kicking out the general swelling in the joint.........pretty sure the meniscus on the front, outside portion(to the right of the left knee cap when viewed from the front) is partially unattached to the tibia :0o:

taking stairs has now become an adventure........our bedroom is in the basement....out of 5 trips down the stairs this evening, 3 have been pain free and 2 have about brought me to tears......dont know which its going to be till about the third step...........

I assume you know it better than me but, just in case, you know to step down first with the bad leg and step up first with the good one?

was not aware of that Bruce....always step with my right leg first, weither its up or down. will keep that in mind but i doubt ill remember it...........girls at the office think im nuts.....ill be walking fine......next time they see me im hobbling and cussing.....next trip through im walking fine.......going to try my other knee brace, this one isnt doing anything...........

The goal is to make the good knee do the bending when you're lifting yourself up or lowering yourself down a step. But you only go one step at a time.

Back