What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show your pet photos! Lots of photos

Peaches and SweetPea, the Southern Flying Squirrels we raised from pinkies when our dog killed the mom.
DSC01998.jpg

Precious the dog
DSC02121.jpg

Pippi the Hedgehog
DSC01882.jpg

Awww...I didn't know you had flying squirrels. How cute! As are Precious and Pippi. I can't imagine not having pets. :)

the squirrels are adorable!!! how are they to take care of? (friendly, labor-intensive, etc) just curious :)

Thanks guys. They are very friendly but demand a lot of time. They are smart unlike hamsters. When you put them in their cage, they will reach out their arms and grab at you trying to get to you. It's pitiful. They are VERY fast and hyperactive. Very easy to care for, easier than Pippi for sure. The air temp can't go below 70 or else Pippi could die. She's temperamental but worth it.

southern flying squirrels are supposedly mush easier than sugar gliders. they can live with colder temps (as clint said) and from babies are also easier to tame. cute!
Alex

do flying squirrels require the same bonding time as gliders? i know that gliders get really depressed when their owners dont play with them or dont get carried around in a bonding pouch.

are the squirrels nocturnal?

I would love a Southern Flying Squirrel!

Yes they do, and yes they are. They will become mean if they aren't bonded. They will go to sleep on their backs in our hands and let us kiss them and pet them. But they only do that after they've ran around your body a hundred time and jumped from one person to the other over and over. The best part about them is that they like to glide from one person to another over and over and over. They are illegal in some states, but then again so are box turtles. Some laws are dumb. They aren't endangered or anything , you just never see them since they come out at night.

You can buy them if you are lucky to find one, or get one from a breeder. They are about 175 each. The northern flying squirrels are bigger and less hyper, but harder to find.

Back