What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crane collapse

The thirty story condo to the south of me, had a crane staitoned at the front of the building to facilitate roof repair. We are talking a big crane here, 280' boom plus a 50' jib.
Two Saturdays ago we had a low pressure area come through and this was the result.
cranedsized.jpg

The boom blew over backwards leaving the cab and tractor upright.
cranesized.jpg

craneasized.jpg

cranebsized.jpg

The headache ball, which weighs about 500#, went through the roof of the building. During all of the wind, a towel which I had left on my balcony table did not move.
cranecsized.jpg

Gold Coast Crane Co. started disassembly of the crane about 7:00 Saturday morning. At 1:30 in the afternoon, the boom sections and jib were loaded on flatbeds, the tractor/cab fired up and drove off.
Sunday morning at 8:00 they started assemblying a replacement in the middle of the street. It took up nearly the whole block. At 10:30 AM, it boomed up and drove into position, ready for work Monday morning. Those guys are real professionals.

During that 24 hour period, Comcast, my cable TV provider was not able to
string 150' of cable that was knocked down.

Construction people are good people.
Cable people...SUCK.

Wow! I hope no one got hurt. What a mess. :(

And I agree...CABLE sucks! Having just been 3 weeks of nightmare service from them.

Wow thats terrible. In my job as a commercial framer, I work around machinery like that all the time. Its somewhat sobering to realize that something like that can happen at any time. I hope nobody was hurt.

Oh and I agree that cable sucks. I ditched my cable company about 12 years ago and I have never regretted the decision once. DirecTV is so far superior to cable that its not even a contest.

Cheers
Steve

No one was injured as it happened a 4:15 AM. I am going to tell you...it sure as heck woke me up. :0o:

Cranes should be FL's state bird. Although they're flightless, they're everywhere.

glad no one was hurt. my first thought/question was if anyone was in or near that thing at the time.

so, do you live or work by where that hapened?

Love the way it fell right between all those nice palms...

I live next door to the building bugfreak. The following photos may give you a clearer perspective as to just how tall the crane is. That is a thirty story building.
crane1sized.jpg

crane2sized.jpg

crane4sized.jpg

crane5sized.jpg

:0o: wow, I'm glad your okay...I don't think I can imagine a death any more improbable than getting hit by a falling crane...

lol

-peace
-gabe

Back