What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Silly little Ants...

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
If Ants had brains they would know putting their nest up under a large S. minor 'okee giant' probably isn't the best spot.

I just came home from a cabin watching ants suicidal drop into S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii and S. minor 'okee giant' they were all marching along and falling in at a non stop pace.

Silly little creatures...

Well if your brain was wired to follow the pheromones you would march right in with out question. Its ok once it fills up they will be fine.

Lol,

One of the S. minor 'okee giant' pitchers got so full it toppled over, yet, they still keep climbing up it and walking in.

Madness.

watching ants suicidal drop into S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii and S. minor 'okee giant' they were all marching along and falling in at a non stop pace.
LOL.:-)) :-))

Sounds like that colony is going to be a victim of natural selection pretty soon. You should post pictures.

Reminds me of when these wasps kept cramming themselves into a S. flava pitcher, even though it was full to the brim. Crazy....

-Ben

Too bad I have no camera!

Indeed Drosera36, I had a plant that had 3 wasps crammed into it's thin pitchers. Silly wasps.

Hundreds of ants are marching along the railing of the porch and have decided to put themselves in, not only the S. minor okee giant pot, but the S. leucophylla 'hot pink' and S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii pots as well. I have one S. minor 'okee giant' that has toppled over from the weight of the ants, and a S. leucophylla 'hot pink' that has HUNDREDS (I looked into it and all I saw was a dark spot and hundreds of moving legs and bodies) of ant bodies in it, the pitcher is tipping repeatedly, I've had to balance it against other plants' pitchers. The pitchers are tipping over and leaning over the porch because of the ants, the S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii pitchers fluid are a milky white with dozens of black ant bodies floating in there. My D. capensis is littered with ants and even one big one which rubbed the dew off of one leaf, barely escaping, minus a few limbs, then onto another, barely escaping again, and then it had almost no limbs and collapses on another dewed up leaf and was felled there. I used to see fly corpses in my Sarracenia pitchers, but, I see no flies or spider bodies anymore because of the ant massacre. My other Sarracenia are filled to the brim with ants and all my Dionaea are closed on ants, ants are drowned in the water bowls around the Sarracenia, and ants are going in groups of up to 10 to their own doom. Ants are stuck in the hairy hoods of some of the pitcher plants built this way, seemingly impaled, and are littered down into the depths of the dark pitchers where hundreds of dying bodies lay, like S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii and S. x 'Bugscoop'. Yet their numbers seem unlimited as more spawn from the pots and hundreds continue to die and fall in, and hundreds more take their place.

I have never seen such a massacre of life at one time.

Well at least they are getting fed. Poor ants.

Indeed. If this isn't a All-You-Can-Fill-Your-Pitchers-with-Buffet I don't know what is.

Also, I have no idea how the plant can digest any of the ants above the digestive fluid since all I can see is ants above the digestive fluid.

Indeed. If this isn't a All-You-Can-Fill-Your-Pitchers-with-Buffet I don't know what is.

Also, I have no idea how the plant can digest any of the ants above the digestive fluid since all I can see is ants above the digestive fluid.

that was my first question/thought is whether the plant is capable of processing so much food.

my question is how did the first worker to find it get back????

I guess it followed it's own trail.

uhmm their ARE minutes amounts of nectar all over the plant, they get to the base and say hay this is great, go back get more they find their way up.

Well, bacteria could eat some of the ants inside and maybe release some of the nutrients and the pitcher wall could absorb it. But, I'd expect it not to be too much.

Still, they're doing a great job! I found a surprising lack of them today. No wonder. EVERY time I look at a pitcher on my larger Sarracenia there is at LEAST 2 ants on it, and at most about 20.

Ants: the lemmings of the CP world!

Rephrase that

Social insects, Lemmings of the CP world!

uhmm their ARE minutes amounts of nectar all over the plant, they get to the base and say hay this is great, go back get more they find their way up.

There is a nectar trail on the ala - the keel or fin that runs along the pitcher tube from the base to the peristome (mouth). On some plants the trail will be red. Run the tip of your finger along the edge of the ala and you'll find that it is sticky with nectar.

...just a random thought... how many people here have tried to taste Sarr nectar?...I wonder if it tastes any good? I feel very tempted right now lol...

I haven't. I sprayed my Sarrs because of mealybugs so I don't need any more Imidacloprid in my system then what I absorbed from the overspray on my skin.

Check out this clip with David Attenborough, Sarrs are after the VFT bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktIGVtKdgwo&NR

Back