What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mugged

thanks again for all the advice people - you're all very great people and you should be proud of yourselves.

My apologies for my language... i was frustrated over the entire thing, and usually maintain a higher quality of vocabulary than simply slurring out my emotions. I'll be wiser for the future though on that matter.

I don't blame crime on race - i don't really blame it on anything except bad parenting nd social values. Think of it this way... while you might associate a black person with, say, stealing your car - what do you associate a white person doing?
While white people may not be your first pick for car thieves, i want you to briefly remind yourself of one word.... one company, who ruined thousands of lives. ENRON
Think briefly now, on major pharmaceutical companies - an incident a while ago produced aspirin that was tainted with AIDs. The company's founder, a white man, decided that instead of destroying those things, he would sell them over-sea where laws did not punish them. His decision to infect potentially millions of people was made pruely to see a bigger profit margin.

Yes, i'v seen the studies on how low-income areas have lots of crime - here in eugene, we have a huge homeless problem, and a massive meth problem - i'v seen this stuff first hand. But guidance, morals, and social influences create the person. But it is not always the poor who are criminals... just look at the politicians and those in high-ranking government positions (Mark Foley). Crime is rampant in this society... it is not a fault of color or class, but by a lack of guidance, poor upbringings, and greed.

But anyways, lets not let this topic get off hand. I was mugged, and i got back from the doctor's a little while ago. My nose is broken, and i have a 50/50 chance of losing my front left tooth. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow to get my tooth looked at and evaluated.

Bugfreak - never fear or seclude yourself for your color - you, like people of brown, yellow, white, and purple, have a good heart - and that is what truly matters in all of this.

Sorry about the mugging. My brother has wrecked his life and he's black, but, a majority of his friends are white and they have too. Just, more blacks do it than white, usually because like JLAP said they are usually poorer, and blacks in gangs usually seem to be more beefy than white folk so it'd be easier to pull off a crime, but, this is just speculation.

Bugsy, why would people be surprised in the VW community? I don't understand that. I've seen black people in bugs all the time (OH! SO THAT"S WHAT YOUR NAME MEANS! DUH CLINT!)

OK, can I see some documentation on the aspirin with AIDS in it because this is the first I've heard of it. Also, the race of the man is irrelevant. This is a case of greed and corruption not race. I really fail to see what him being white has to do with what he did. It was also my impression that aids had to be transmitted from human to human contact, not dried into aspirin then ingested.

About the comment that "guidance, morals, and social influences create the person" in regards to meth. I used to use ice, coke, etc, and I had all of those so that theory isn't always correct. I was also a straight A student , hung out with the right people and live in a nice neighborhood in the burbs far north of ATL. Looking at me, you'd never know it. You'll find that morals are really a gray area up to individual interpretation, and a lot of well-off kids do drugs. Drugs span all social classes and incomes and they don't produce insanely addicted crackheads 100% of the time.

It seems to me you're tune has changed completely from your first post. I don't really understand the problem with the way you are talking now but I hope you keep your tooth! Even if not dental implants are an option.

I honestly don't understand why you tried to fight. No offense but, to me, that's just stupid when it's two against one and especially when you didn't have any money anyway. I would have let them take whatever they want, because it's not worth a nose and a tooth.

i didn't fight o.o; i got hit once from the side - which i determine broke my nose (i was bleeding everywhere), then fell to my knees, where i was put into a head-lock. Luckily i kept my chin down, and my blood lubed things up enough that he couldn't get a good enough hold on me - that resulted in my face being pounded into the cement. Once they discovered i had nothing worthwhile on me, they kicked my side a few times and left. If it was a real fight, a very different tune would be heard.

JustLikeAPill - you have morals, and you are a strong person. Not everyone who has bad influences is a bad person - some people have inner strength and a good set of morals deep within them, and it helps them through to get to a better place. I commend you for it.
I'll look for the articles about the aids thing for you - it happened back in 1995 i think, so its been out of the mainstream for a while.
If my tune has changed, it is because i have good friends, and good advice from people who i barely know (here on the forums). I am not one to take advice and not heed it, and i thank you for your support.

To briefly follow that tangent, I'm pretty positive HIV wouldn't survive more than minutes in an aspirin. It isn't a very durable virus outside a human. Hep B could be a problem and some bacterial and other diseases might be transmitted that way. If they could enter the aspirin production process, that is.

As for the mugging, plenty of people who have the physical ability or martial arts training to defend themselves get mugged or worse. It's such a surprise to be suddenly slugged that few people's brains react to defend themselves. Unfortunately, many people who try find themselves dead.

As for the racial component, people can overcome their upbringing, but it takes work and it'll always lurk within you. I took some of those implicit tests last year and the racial issues are certainly in me. I don't like the way affirmative action is done either; the children of black professionals get preferential entry into elite colleges, while blue collar jobs that would help the truly disadvantaged are replaced by machines or are exported. But us whites whose families have been in the country for a while have benefitted from generations of preferential treatment for whites.

There's a book called When Affirmative Action Was White that came out a few years ago. I keep meaning to read it, but I've seen reviews and they were enough to show that my family escaped from dying jobs in fading cities to booming careers/suburbs because of government policies that allowed them to do it but limited the ability of blacks to do the same.

Maybe I missed something. Why did you not fight back? You have the training. ???

well, i mainly didn't fight back because i got blind-sided. Imagine yourself in my shoes - someone who seemingly poses no threat is walking towards you - you can't raise your fists or get into a stance when you walk by everyone in the world - that wold be crazy. So you act like nothing is going to happen, and you walk normally - hands at your hips.
Now imagine getting hit by a brick to the side of your face, and instantly knowing there is blood everywhere - even in your eyes. The whiplash effect from not having a ballanced stance and being 100% unprepared sends your body into a twist, and before you can even hit the ground, an octopus wraps its arms around your neck and tries to choke you into a sleeper-hold.
Now ight the octopus, and more bricks being thrown at you, while you are already mildly dazed. Oh, and there's a possibility that the octopus has a gun, and the bricks might have knives taped to them >.>
that's why i didn't fight back. If i had stance preparation, and knew the fight was there, i would be singing a very different tune right now.

HereNotThere - Oh, it was actually an injectable for hemophilia - made by bayer. Go onto u-tube and type in "pharmaceutical AIDs" and you'll see a news report with sean hannity (i think thats his name) who does a thing over it.

I would have been "shreded" if I was in a public shcool in hawaii especially in hilo because there are lots of hawaiins mostly in hilo who could do whateve they pleased and to me a white guy or http://www.slangcity.com/email_archive/1_01_04.htm
I could have gotten nailed but I am/was homeschooled.

Ridestu- how much are your medical/dental bills going to be?

do you have good insurance? that would piss me smooth off to take the time and expense of having to get checked out. on top of all the other anguish you have to go through. i truly feel for you and this kind of thing makes me mad. very glad you're beeing a trooper and even wililng to talk about it.

well, over the last two days, i have spent maybe 10 hours total in being examined and x-rayed, and waiting for results. its cost me about $200.00 so far... but fear of a tooth extraction or a root canal could jump that total waaaaay up.
thanks for the kind words!

I'm a bleeding heart liberal about a lot of things, but I think muggers should be sentenced to Louisiana chain gangs in the summer and Montana chain gangs in the winter. And they can pick up litter in between during their forced march from one to the other during spring & fall.

Me and a friend got mugged when we were 16 (I'm 49 now) and although they ( 5 black dudes ) didn't hurt us (we're white) and only got a total of $7 from us they threaten to kill us if we went to the cops. We went to the cops who of coarse did nothing. A week latter an old lady got killed in the same spot.

Life can suck sometimes.

I won't comment on the whole Klan issue. Except that those people are screwed up IMHO.

Tom

I sometimes say African Americans to show respect. Some people at my school get offended when I say blacks and some people get offended when I say African American.

Ridestsu, poor guy, I hope you are ok. :-(

If they were born in America they are AMERICANS not African Americans. Simple as that. My ancestors are from Germany, I don't call myself German American.

People live in TODAY'S world not in the distant past.

No offence meant of coarse.

Tom

I'm a bleeding heart liberal about a lot of things, but I think muggers should be sentenced to Louisiana chain gangs in the summer and Montana chain gangs in the winter. And they can pick up litter in between during their forced march from one to the other during spring & fall.

Great idea! Of coarse that is AFTER they are beaten into a coma first.

As a bleeding heart, I cannot condone beating them into a coma. It's dehumanizing for the person doing and the person receiving the beating. As a practical person, I don't think any of us want to pay any extra medical costs for them and, furthermore, they'll be far more productive workers if not comatose.

As a bleeding heart, I cannot condone beating them into a coma. It's dehumanizing for the person doing and the person receiving the beating. As a practical person, I don't think any of us want to pay any extra medical costs for them and, furthermore, they'll be far more productive workers if not comatose.

The penal system in the U.S. IMHO is a complete joke. We wrist slap criminals. Unless we start dealing out VERY SERIOUS penalties crime will continue to get worse.

There is no real insentive for criminals to stop, the penalties are FAR too lame. Plus they have too much freedom in jail.

Tom

If there is a mesage i would spread, it would be this.

"Don't answer violence with violence."
or rather: "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"

If there is a mesage i would spread, it would be this.
"Don't answer violence with violence."
or rather: "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
The message I would spread is, "Do unto others as they would do unto you...only do it to them first."

Doing it to "them" first has a pretty poor track record. Not only would someone land in jail for punching a potential mugger before the mugging, it fails at the international level too. Our pre-emptive war in Iraq is only the most recent example, but Japan's attack at Pearl Harbor and Germany's invasion of (insert country name here) didn't help them. Unless you go back to the point of view some had a decade or two ago that Japan had actually won WWII because they pretty much owned us.

Doing it to "them" first has a pretty poor track record. Not only would someone land in jail for punching a potential mugger before the mugging, it fails at the international level too. Our pre-emptive war in Iraq is only the most recent example, but Japan's attack at Pearl Harbor and Germany's invasion of (insert country name here) didn't help them. Unless you go back to the point of view some had a decade or two ago that Japan had actually won WWII because they pretty much owned us.

110% support from me.

Back