What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a question

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I'm currently working in a facility that produces enriched uranium. I walked into a lab the other day and I saw two 5 gallon ice coolers with water pumping in and out. There was duct tape one cooler that said 'For Brine shrimp only, NOT FOR USE WITH FISH" On the second cooler was a duct tape tag that said "Control"

I stated looking around, there were lab beakers, tubes running all around. Everything you'd expect to see in a lab. As I looked closer, I saw some of the beakers had brine shrimp swimming around. Some labeled "Controlled". There was about 8 or 9 jars of brine shrimp.

There was a log book with reminders to feed the fish. I didn't find the fish though.

My question is why would a nuclear facility be doing experiments with sea monkeys?

???

So much for security if they let you just wander into labs.

It's called diversification. Enrich uranium on one hand, on the other sell sea monkeys and other biological nightmares. Do you really suppose "triops" are a naturally occuring organism?

So much for security if they let you just wander into labs.

I have security clearance.

:eek:

I have security clearance.

:eek:

Like he said... They must have *GREAT* security if you're walking around in there.... :crazy: :0o: ???

:-))

That must be neat working there I just hope to get a college degree because I can't/won't be able to drive from my vision so I will have to earn more than the average person

You might not keep that security clearance if you describe what you see on an open forum.

Although I'd like to think it was something evil, my guess is that they're testing the water they discharge. Federal regulations say treated chemical discharges have to be tested occasionally by seeing how they affect crustaceans and fish. I don't know what the regulations say for nuclear facilities but there's probably a similar requirement in there somewhere. I usually see results for tests on Daphnia and fathead minnows, but those are for freshwater discharges and maybe brine shrimp are used for saltwater discharges? It sounds like a very half-@ssed testing setup, but it's a horribly dangerous nuclear facility and we shouldn't be surprised.

A former room-mate of mine continued on in the academic world and once was able to go fishing below GA's Savannah River plant. It was officially some kind of duck survey, but they spent the day fishing. He said the fish they pulled out of that water had strange growths and sores and deformed fins and so on. So the brine shrimp you saw probably are in the process of becoming real sea monkeys.

Ozzy,

You're so silly! If you're dealing with enriched uranium, just turn off the lights and you'll find the fish. They'll be the ones glowing in that beautiful shade of green.

I don't believe him, not without pictures, and him being in at least one picture in front of a reactor, and holding two forms of government issued ID.

And aren't you an electrician? So why would they have you looking after fish? And as Bruce said, if any of this were true you wouldn't be able to talk about it.

He misread the log book the reminders actually said "Don't forget to feed them fish"

Sounds like an Infocom game to me. Where's Floyd?

Maybe they are just pets of the employees? lol. Please feed my fish... They are my family... I can't work if they are dead...

Like he said... They must have *GREAT* security if you're walking around in there.... :crazy: :0o: ???

:-))

You might not keep that security clearance if you describe what you see on an open forum.

LOL. I love it!

xvart.

Well, maybe they're planning on laying off a few workers and hiring some new, "more efficient ones." Hey, if you can get em to do a few tricks with a simple flashlight, imagine what else they can do!

I don't believe him, not without pictures, and him being in at least one picture in front of a reactor, and holding two forms of government issued ID.

There is no reactor, it's not a power plant. I have worked at one of those too.

The plant I work at produces the fuel for the power plants. I can't get any pics because there are no cameras allowed.

Um yes about that security clearance, Mr. Ozzy. We at the organization would like to offer you a higher level of clearance. Please just step this way, that's right. Dark ? Oh sure let me get the lights for you ....

It's been fun man. Sniff, sniff...

Ive seen minnows used to field test discharge water quality (EPA) at our college, they tossed a few minnows in... waited a prescribe period of time and counted the suviviors..

the way they talked, "x" number of suvivors meant youre ok, less meant further testing required

maybe something simular?

Av

epa reference

Yeah, I am guessing this is a canary type situation.

Ozzy...my suggestion is..DON'T DRINK THE WATER.

No man, they let you in there to see how the radiation wouold affect YOU!!! The critters were just a ruse. Soon you'll be growing breasts.

On your knees.

Back