What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pine Barrens 2007 Trip - pics

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Friday morning our tour guide, Rich, took Gale and myself around to some sites to see some CP’s further east then what I usually go.

Rich brought some hybrids with him, 3 clones of Drosera intermedia x rotundifolia (Drosera x beleziana) and Drosera intermedia X Drosera filiformis called Drosera hybrida, which he was kind enough to share with us.
tourguide.jpg

The first stop was Webbs Mill Bog.

WM_boardwalk.jpg

Curly Grass Fern
WM_Curly-Grass-Fern.jpg

WM_Orchid.jpg

WM_utric.jpg

WM_utric1.jpg

WM_Sarrs.jpg

WM_Sarrs1.jpg

WM_Sarr_filiform.jpg

WM_inter.jpg

WM_Filiform.jpg

Then he took us to another site where Drosera filiformis grows all over the sand roads.

site2_filiform_bug1.jpg

site2_filiform_bug.jpg

The last site that Rich was kind enough to take us to was a site that has a hybrid of Drosera intermedia X Drosera filiformis called Drosera hybrida. This plant is much smaller then Drosera filiformis. The leaves do not come to a point and the tentacles do not start till further up the petiole then Drosera filiformis. Rich told us that at one time there was a bunch of Drosera filiformis growing here. When we looked there was none to be found, and only about 6 or 7 Drosera hybrida left.

site3_hybrida1.jpg

site3_hybrida.jpg

The group that made it this year, Ron and his wife (taking the picture), Mike, Gale, and myself.

CP_group.jpg

We took the boats to Batsto Lake and paddled upstream.

BL_canoers1.jpg

BL_canoers.jpg

BL_bird.jpg

BL_turtle.jpg

BL_turtle1.jpg

BL_untirc.jpg

BL_sarr.jpg

BL_rotund.jpg

BL_inter.jpg

BL_inter1.jpg

BL_filiform_DF.jpg

Gale came across this plant. I believe that it is Drosera intermedia x rotundifolia (Drosera x beleziana).
BL_hybrid.jpg

Then early Sunday Morning we went for a little paddle in Atsion Lake.

AL_canoers1.jpg

AL_sceen.jpg

AL_sceen1.jpg

AL_iris.jpg

AL_bird.jpg

AL_sarr.jpg

We also saw lots of Drosera intermedia and Drosera rotundifolia around Atsion Lake, but no Drosera filiformis.

Cool! No way I'd go out there! What with the Jersey Devil!

Next year I will make it! Looks like it was a great trip.

Nice photos,I bet you had a great time!

Jerry

Looks like it was a great trip.
It was a great trip! The wildlife we saw & heard along w/ all of the CPs and great scenery was beyond my expectations. We had a blast!
455.gif
(check out that fish in the Osprey's talons - very cool)

Along w/ all the sights & sounds, it's also excellent to be able to sit down and talk CPs with a bunch of friends that you've either just met or have not seen for a year or so.
92.gif

IMO, the boats clearly added another dimension to the trip - allowing the discovery of wildlife & CPs we would never have found if we stayed on terra firma.

How cool! I love the roadside filiformis. What a great trip. Looks like you had some fun. I like the dual turtles, too. They look so happy together... Awwwwee!

xvart.

Man I wish I had been able to go! I may be heading out there later this year, I'll make sure to take some pics then.

It's pretty cool to see a natural drosera hybrid out there.

Maybe next year I can talk the wife into doing this trip for our vacation. Looks like it was a lot of fun and my daughter would love the camping experience.

Wow, awesome pictures! I bet you had a blast!

Back