What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Local scenery pics

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
Forum is kinda slow tonight so I took some time to upload pics I took recently of plants and things in the area. Click the thumbnails for larger pics.

My neighbor Gary is a blacksmith and when he retired from the DOW he set up his own smithy. These are the doors he just finished this past month. He had the dragons cut by someone else but the texturing, patina and assembly he did as well as the other hardware. Not exactly ye olde smithy, but definitely unique and interesting.

Here's something the wind stirred up. That yellowish cloud is pinion pine tree pollen that got kicked up by the wind as a storm front moved through the area. The first one I took as I was headed back into town for lunch. And the second one was taken about 3 miles out of town. The pollen cloud is that yellowish haze behind the ridge that is just above the houses. Sorry it's so dark. A cloud came over just as I took the picture. Also, that's a hill in these parts, not a mountain. It's around 9000 ft above sea level at its peak. A days hike from the foot to the top...if you're good in shape.

Here's a mountain. This is Mount Princeton. 14,197 ft above sea level and full of trout fishing, hiking, camping, and 4-wheel drive roads. And the view from the top is breath taking. Especially if your a flat lander and not used to the altitude.

Last week I was out pressure testing a new sewer line and while waiting for the contractor's guys to get set up & took pics of some of the local flowers. First is Indian Paintbrush followed by wild Lupine. Both are common in this area.

The Third is of what I think is Indian Pipe, a parasitic plant. At least it looks to me like the pics some of you guys have posted of the plant. Once I noticed one plant, I started spotting them all over the place, This one was in amongst some wild onions.

And one last pic of several different flowers.

Nice! I always loved the Colorado landscape. Everything is so new, and the mountains are always changing. Are you sure that's Indian Paintbrush, though? I thought the infloresences had a different shape.
~Joe

Hi Joe! I didn't realize it until I Googled it to be sure, but there are several different varieties of Indian Paintbrush. Kinda like there are for VFTs. Also, I didn't realize it was a parasitic plant. If nutrient levels in the soil are low, it will parasitize the roots of nearby plants.

Cool pics, that pollen is pretty amazing. I love the nuts off those pinion tree awsome stuff.

I love the doors. Wonder if he works with mythril...;)

I love the doors. Wonder if he works with mythril...;)
I wouldn't mind some mythril chain mail myself the next time I explore a dungeon or go up against some demons :devil: :devil:

Back