What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA visit; California Carnivores pics and others; 56K warning

good thing I don't live in california. Or else, I would have gone bankrupt with all the purchases of plants that I would have made. :p
I hear ya vraev! I was there the end of May (Hi Lois!) and while I was able to resist his plants via the internet, seeing them in person was more than I could take and I ended up, like Ben, with several new plants. ???

lol thanks for all the interesting comments. Yeah, I couldn't resist buying something; it was right there in front of me, and some force made me buy stuff.

Anyone know what this plant is? It's pretty freakin' sweet.

DSCN4386.jpg

-Ben

N. x trusmadiensis :D!!

I took a picture of that exact same pitcher when I was there in June! (I think it's the exact same one)

Really? Could you post the picture here?

-Ben

I've always seen these great pics, and I've wondered if you wanted to spend the money, could you buy whatever you saw or is it a lot of his personal stuff mixed in and not for sale?

For example, if I had some cash to burn could I buy that TM or is it just for show?

Yeah, that does look a lot like the pitcher that I took a picture of. That's pretty cool.

Clint, no, there are designated 'sales areas', and most of what you see is not for sale. So the N. x trusmadiensis would not be for sale.

-Ben

I figured as much :(

I'm going to be headed to San Fran at the end of October. Looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to get up there when I make my trip! 8)

-Nate

Oh , you will be in SF in time to see "Chomp" at the conservatory of flowers.
If you get anywhere near Cal Carn. let me know. i'll show you all around the place,Like I did ben and J C .

hi guys! im new on the terra forums!! yes, i was just at Cal carn, last month when i met Lois who showed me around the place. and then again i was there last weekend!!! im hooked!

NATE - i hope you can make it out there. it's sacred ground!! you WILL enjoy yourself and will not want to leave once there!! Lois and Peter had to drag me outta there!! :-))

If you get anywhere near Cal Carn. let me know. i'll show you all around the place,Like I did ben and J C .

Lois is a very fun tour guide! And it's a very nice area of the country, too.

xvart.

I went to 'Chomp' a lil before I went to CC, and of course, it wasn't as nice as CC, but it had some huge Neps, like N. truncata, and a huge Darlingtonia. The rest of the conservatory that it is held in is really beautiful, too. It's neat how they mist everything in there. I should prolly upload those pics, too. :D

-Ben

This is a little off subject but about the Conservatory of flowers. I delivered some plant there yesterday . i took my 12 yr old granddaughter with me as a BD present. In the space before chomp. I saw the largest blooming stapiliad that i have ever seen . the bloom was larger than my out stretched hand. also the aristilochia gigantea is in bloom. that is the largest flower of this type that I have seen.
not to mention the Black bat plant (tacca whatever) had a bloom larger than my fist. where was my camera ? at home collecting dust.

Thanx guys for you compliments.
Lois

Heh

DSCN4033.jpg

These next ones are all from "Chomp" by the way, not at California Carnivores.

-Ben

DSCN4034.jpg

DSCN4035.jpg

DSCN4036.jpg

DSCN4037.jpg

DSCN4038.jpg

DSCN4039.jpg

DSCN4040.jpg

DSCN4041.jpg

DSCN4042.jpg

DSCN4043.jpg

They had some pretty cool huge models of plants, but I didn't take any pics. They was a giant Heliamphora with like a cross section of a pitcher to show how stuff got trapped, a giant VFT, and I think a giant Aldrovanda, but I'm not sure. I'm not good at remembering stuff. This goes through August, or somewhere around there, I think.

-Ben

What is that weird flower thing in the first photo?

I figured as much :(

Don't get too discouraged. There's more than what's in the sales area, you just have to ask. That's how I got a Drosera Regia (the last one he had for sale!); I asked Peter if he had one, and he went into the back grow area and found it for me.

Back