What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pneumothorax

Wooh, another thing to add to my life death experiences, for 2007.

A pneumothorax is collection of air or gas in the space surrounding the lungs.

And some how that air got popped, around 7:00pm last night collapsing a small part of my left lung, at first we thought it was a reaction to some sulfur from fireworks, well. I called my mom Paramedics show up, and stuff, my mom takes me to the hospital. They gave me some extra strength Meds and I had 3 x rays taken to see if it progressed. It didn't it was the same all 3 times, so it wasnt getting worse. But they had a 3-4 inch 18gage needle i think, sitting next to my bed in case it got worse and they HAD to get the air out right then and their.

Well i got out around 2 hours ago, i feel much better, but I wont ever be able to Scuba dive, something I've always wanted to do... :'( I cant Sky dive, which is also something I wanted to do when I graduated. :-x , and many physical sports (haha like im doing that any time soon) and I cant play sax for a couple weeks. Have to quit smoking too, at first I thought it was happening because of my smoking, but i had only been smoking for like 6 months, but, I had tried to quit for about a week and a half and had one that morning.

Oh well. :0o:

OH yea its common in tall and lanky guys.

Well at least you won't die!

AND now since you'll quit smoking, you'll live longer!

hey now - i'm 6'7 and quite lengthy! However i don't smoke and am physically active (gasp, a jcomputer/game nerd who is strong? Lawl!)

Hope you recover soon - i used to play the flute, and remembered when i had a sinus problem that made me have to stop for a couple months - i hated every bitter moment of it.
I'm glad you are quitting smoking! tis a horrible habit :p Luckily you haven't been smoking for too long, so you should be well in the clear.
Sorry to hear about your dreams of scuba and skies going up in flame.. its a real downer i bet. I will never jump out of a perfectly good plane, or try to immerse myself in an environment that i don't belong in XD but i know what its like to have dreams crushed (i can't compete in martial arts contests after a knee injury).
Stick with it, be strong, and you'll always find support somewhere.

Sorry to hear that.I hope you get better soon!

Jerry

Its tough to quit, even though its only been 6 months, omg like i want one, but its not like a craving its more like habbit, but thats probably me not accepting my addiction. I would love to be able to smoke after my lungs un-collapsed, i doubt ill be able to though.

That happened to the wife of someone I work with and she had to get the needle. It happened again a few months later and she got some kind of surgery - I think they scarred the inside of her chest wall and the outside of the lung so they'd bond together and prevent the lung from collapsing again. That seems totally wrong as I write it, but I'm pretty sure that's what was done.

As for your smoking, this is the perfect opportunity to quit and take advantage of it. My wife quit to have a baby and my father-in-law quit after barely surviving a nasty case of pneumonia.

Yeah bruce what they do for cronic pneumos is open the chest wall and rince it with a talc and saline solution. This causece the lung to adhear to the chest wall preventing it from colapsing again. I forget the name of the procedure, but I have done them a couple of times.

Nepenthes Your lucky they did not have to put a chest tube in under local! Those look like they hurt. An 18 gauge needle is nothing compaired to the 32 or 36 frends chest tubes!

Yea, they said they would have used an 18 gage, I saw it and it was HUGE, I couldn't imagine any thing bigger.

Back