What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do i even need an RO filter?

• Thread starter Ridetsu
  • Start date

Ridetsu

Gamer
So, after getting a PPM tester and putting it to use, i discovered that the water filter i had previously bought didn't filter anything out bu the viruses in the water - and even added potassium into the water which increases the PPM.
So i took that out and am sending it back today.
My water here though, is 40 PPM... i live in Eugene Oregon, which operates from the same water that Portland Oregon does (who apparently has the cleanest municipal water supply in the country).

So i was out looking for an RO filter, and one of the best i could find that suited my needs was about 200 dollars, and fifty dollars shipping... cripes almighty, 250 dollars for a counter-top unit to remove 40 PPM? Should i even bother to get an RO filter? If you still think i should, got any suggestions?

... 50 dollars shipping? Dude they just charge 50 dollars shipping to make the price look better. Shipping shouldn't be more than 15 bucks tops. I wouldn't give them my business for the sole reason that they did that.

Mine came from like.. the Netherlands and shipping was just 20 bucks.

I thought 40PPM was good?

it is good - 100 is the max i would subject to a CP. But i mean.. is 40 worthy of buying a 200 dollar system to clean out?

and aye, the 50 in shipping is horrendous... they only do it to make the price seem mroe attractive.

Funny--I have the same question. I was just about convinced to buy an RO filter when I hear that the water here is good. I live in Oakland, CA and have been told that the TDS in the tap water is very low. I was recently told by a fairly knowledgeable source that SF water is as good as distilled water--though I've been trying to verify if the same holds true for the East Bay which gets its water from the Mekolumne river and not Hetch Hetchy like SF. Any local East Bay CPers use tap water by any chance?

If your collection is small, buying distilled water from the grocery store might be adequate, economically. If your region receives adequate rainfall, you can set up a plastic trash can to collect the rain and fill gallon jugs of milk or juice, as I do.

That $50 shipping isn't actually high. My unit weighed about 35 lbs total and came in two boxes. One for the unit, and one for the bladder tank. I just ran the shipping calculator on UPS.com and from CA to IL it would cost $48 for ground transportation. Shipping costs are rough sometimes. :-(
-Nate

Why not go flat rate? Must have been big!

Well, the easiest way to answer your question is with a little experiment. People can speculate all sorts about the TDS levels, what else is in it, and if it should be alright, but if you do a test run and water some of your more-expendable plants with the water for a while you can definitively show if it will or will not work. This way you never have to worry about that gut feeling "could it be the water?"

And/or you could talk to an experienced member in Eugene and see if their plants have done fine with the tap water.

Lucky guy, you!

Unless your tap water is really lousy, I would think it would take a long time for you to find out if your plant's health has been deteriorating. I just spoke with the local university's botanical garden caretaker who told me that they have been using our tap water for the past year on their CPs with no ill effects. Ridetsu, does Portland have a botanical garden or another local source with CPs that you could call?

Hey I'm here in Corvallis, and tap water is pretty much all I use. It should work for you.

Unless your tap water is really lousy, I would think it would take a long time for you to find out if your plant's health has been deteriorating.

Granted. But at least it'll alleviate some of the potential worry, and most of the outside plants probably get flushed through with rainwater fairly frequently. So either the water is bad enough and it shows up, or it's fine / will take a good while for any ill effects to manifest in which case the rain flushes should take care of it.

Ridetsu, does Portland have a botanical garden or another local source with CPs that you could call?

Good thinking!

Eugene I was just there maybe a trade soetime :-D

...is 40 worthy of buying a 200 dollar system to clean out?
My vote is to save your money and use it to buy a Pure or Brita faucet filter to remove the chlorine. That or set some water out for a day for the chlorine to gas off. You'll know it's done when there's no more flatulant sounds coming from it.

musamusa1975 -- im in the SF Bay Area, but not east bay. im on the peninsula. my tap water is fine. i was thinking about getting an RO, but what the heck -- its been 4 years, and all plants are fine... thriving in fact. MAYBE if i had a little extra $$ i would get one, but i'd rather use that in supplies or better yet --- more plants!!

i read somewhere that the PPM (parts per million) of dissolved solids in the water should be no more than 110 for CP. I called the north coast water district and inquired about my city's water and they stated average is 120 (although it fluxuates, from 20 at the lowest to 180 at the highest).. but again, all my plants are fine, its been 4 years...

one stratagey i heard someone say was that you can mix your tap with distilled so the PPM for that particular dose of water you are giving your plant is actually LESS that what it would be if you were to use pure tap water...

but anyway, i haven't done that since my CP have been doing fine. just a thought :-O

EBMUD, the company that provides water to where I live, returned my call this morning and said that the tap water TDS level is roughly 53-68 ppm.

I agree--go with tap water--more money for plants!! :)

thanks for all the advice everyone - i'll probably forget about getting a filter, and focus now on how else i'll spend the hundred dollars i'll get back for turning in my old filter :3 hmmm.. drosera.. hmm... hehe

You can buy me a RO filter.. Pretty please?!

EBMUD, the company that provides water to where I live, returned my call this morning and said that the tap water TDS level is roughly 53-68 ppm.

I agree--go with tap water--more money for plants!! :)

I wouldn't take the water company's word for how many PPM will be in the tap water. It might be 50PPM when it leaves the facility. But traveling down the infrastructure to your home may add quite a bit. My water is over 300PPM but I'm sure that's do to the bad plumbing in my house, and I know they haven't replaced any water pipes in the street since they put them in.

Testing the water yourself isn't a bad idea.

... and I know they haven't replaced any water pipes in the street since they put them in.
Testing the water yourself isn't a bad idea.
That's a good point. I know of a neighboring town that was getting water to their pool through old wood piping up 'til a few years ago.

Back