What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Global warming?

Wiki mentions undersea volcanic activity, increasing levels of water vapor in the atmosphere, and increasing co2 levels.

Britannica mentions the melting of ice from a fork in the upper Angerman River in northern Sweden.

I spent a grand total of 5 minutes researching, so I'm sure there are many theories on it.

In my opinion, the problem is that most people who don't believe in GW are republicans, and if you ask most republicans, they'll tell you the Earth is only 5-6 thousand years old. I guess it doesn't matter if the whole world goes to hell when you're more concerned about the next world than the current one. That being said, no matter how much I disagree with some people, saying they have a bloated head on a matter such as this (come on, I can understand other political matters but not THIS one, and even then this forum is supposed to be friendly so don't do it anyway) is pretty out of line. Especially since the person who said that was even making jokes to ease the tension.

Are you forgetting that the problem is that most of this ice is ABOVE water?
I am aware that there is much more ice on land but the article my friend quoted addressed only the ice floating in the oceans.

If the ice were BELOW water then yes, you would be right.
Ice cannot be below water…it floats.

Personally, I suspect global warming is actually caused by all the hot air emitted by politicians and others in power when they try to convince us that we really need them in charge to tell us what to do.
That my man is the perhaps the answer.
Anytime politicians get involved with something they screw it up. Case in point, the current bunch of misfits in Washington has done absolutely nothing about anything. Hence, the Dow just closed above 14,000...the econmy is humming right along and unemployment is low. If the government just leaves us/business alone, we will do just fine.

I do think global warming is happening and it will eventually create a problem. However, blaming it completely on the activities of man is a bit much.

Exactly, that was the point. It DOES float (actually i believe they made a heavy ice that sinks, but that's not the point).

Greenland scares me :( Gore's documentary was good, though. Even just for the sake of hearing him talk (I love his voice)!

The most harmful greenhouse gas is water vapor :D
Let's ban water!

Me too. :-O

It's no worse than jokes about California falling into the ocean giving the residents of Arizona beach front property.

WOOHOO!!! That was great! LOL

Wiki mentions undersea volcanic activity, increasing levels of water vapor in the atmosphere, and increasing co2 levels.

Britannica mentions the melting of ice from a fork in the upper Angerman River in northern Sweden.

I spent a grand total of 5 minutes researching, so I'm sure there are many theories on it.

In my opinion, the problem is that most people who don't believe in GW are republicans, and if you ask most republicans, they'll tell you the Earth is only 5-6 thousand years old. I guess it doesn't matter if the whole world goes to hell when you're more concerned about the next world than the current one. That being said, no matter how much I disagree with some people, saying they have a bloated head on a matter such as this (come on, I can understand other political matters but not THIS one, and even then this forum is supposed to be friendly so don't do it anyway) is pretty out of line. Especially since the person who said that was even making jokes to ease the tension.

The people who believe the earth is only 5-6000 years old don't always believe the same way, nor are they always Republicans. I know cause I believe the earth is only that old, but I also believe that global warming is indeed an issue. I don't think it is as much of an issue a many would lead you to believe, but it is there. I am affiliated w/ the republican party, but I don't always agree w/ them. As for us only caring about the "next world", not so. I care for the current one because I have to live here too as will my children. I also care about the people here cause they are part this current world and I'd like for them to also be part of the next one, but not all will choose that path.

People, especially people who haven't been here as long. Let's keep the name calling out of the debate and respect your fellow member's opinions. That's what makes this place great is that we are all here for plants and can also discuss things that we may disagree on.

I am aware that there is much more ice on land but the article my friend quoted addressed only the ice floating in the oceans.

Ice cannot be below water…it floats.

That my man is the perhaps the answer.
Anytime politicians get involved with something they screw it up. Case in point, the current bunch of misfits in Washington has done absolutely nothing about anything. Hence, the Dow just closed above 14,000...the econmy is humming right along and unemployment is low. If the government just leaves us/business alone, we will do just fine.

I do think global warming is happening and it will eventually create a problem. However, blaming it completely on the activities of man is a bit much.

Although our economy is growing, there is still a long way to go. I think the most current problem for the US is it's economy. Although it seems to be doing well, when you compare it to other 1st world nations, we are doing quite poorly in many areas. A small indication would the WEAK USD, one British Pound is almost $2. Though it is only a small indication, it is an indication none the less. :offtopic:

bloated head...........perhaps

arrogant.........maybe

but don't you dare call me a republican!!:-D

Last edited:
I care for the current one

I thought you were a republican?

LMAO! JUST KIDDING! Of course I was making generalizations. There's always a weird republican or weird democrat (besides Kerry, of course) in there somewhere.

I wont lie that the US dollar being weak hurts :(

And then you have the whole business of the water temp. rising with the influx of fresh water (melted ice) stopping the Gulf Stream. *throws yet another monkey wrench into the fray*

:D

At one point in time, the most of the scientist agreed the earth was flat.

At one point in time, the most of the scientist agreed the earth was the center of the solar system.

At one point in time, doctors thought that if you were sick, you had bad blood. Then they would bleed people. Most of the times to the point of death.

And all those were disproven by scientists too, not the common laypreson. Without scientists, we would still think that also.

I debated this whole thing in detail before, but its mostly a wate of time, as this pops up every few months and i have to make the argument again and again. I could show what ended the last ice age and stuff beyond dispute, but whats the point? I just dont care what other people think about things anymore enough to try and debate it. I just have better things to do.

for those complaining the man is the main cause of global warming..............explain to me why Mars and the other planets in our solar system are also warming up? man cause that aswell?

There is evidence other planets/moons are warming, but there can't be a single cause. Variations in solar output, the only thing that could affect all the planets ~simultaneously, have a negligible effect on the Earth's climate and probably don't do much elsewhere either.

We also live on a planet that looks nothing like it ever has before and has had severe weather and climate changes so many times.

xvart.

out of curiosity.........what was the hottest year on record in the US.........

2006, according to the wahington post and the NOAA, beating 2005, that was then the warmest year of the century...

NASA has a nice list of top 5 warmest years since 1890...

1) 2006
2) 2005
3) 1998
4) 2002
5) 2003
2005 was the "warmest year since the late 1890's", and 2006 topped that to become the hottest year on record - but last year if you asked that it could have have been sometime in the 1890's, i think. I dont hear it mentioned much, that might mean it was more of ananomolus spike... or it might mean that the government started collecting national temperature data in 1895. Then agan, the disclaimer "since the 1890's" might not indicate a hot year around that time period at all but when records started in the firstplace.

wrong :grin: according to NASA its:

apparently NASA's program had a Y2K bug and screwed up the numbers for 2000-2006........if yah dont believe me check their website....2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 were actually cooler than even 1900....................

Ok i checked the website and found this

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/environment/2005_warmest.html

140894main_BlueMarble_2005_warm.jpg

-http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/140894main_BlueMarble_2005_warm.jpg-

Its from 2005, so its dated, but this IS from nasa too.

Could you show me where your date came from?

And, for interest, here's some more links i found

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/environment/world_warmth.html

I checked the NOAA for US data instead or worldwide and this is the chart

Reg110Dv00Elem02_01122006_pg.gif

The last eight 5-year periods (2002-2006, 2001-2005, 2000-2004, 1999-2003, 1998-2002, 1997-2001, 1996-2000, 1995-1999), were the warmest 5-year periods (i.e. pentads) in the last 112 years of national records, illustrating the anomalous warmth of the last decade.
And the climate reveiw summery http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2006/ann/us-summary.html

explain to me why Mars and the other planets in our solar system are also warming up? man cause that aswell?

Oh, that's an easy one: They aren't.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/10/global-warming-on-mars/#more-192

That blog is hands down the best resource on climate change on the web, bar none. It is totally devoid of politics and economics, concerned solely with the science and written from a very technical perspective (complete with references) by a group of climatologists.

If you hear anything on Faux News again about GW, just search this site and you'll find an explanation (complete with peer-review journal references) that goes into *way* too much detail while blowing it out of the water.

in the spirit of Rattler's post, I offer another challenge: Carbon 13 is produced naturally in our atmosphere via cosmic radiation. The claim that increased solar radiation causes global warming leads to the logical prediction that the ratio of c-13 to c-12 would increase. If, however, the extra CO2 in the air is from fossil fuels (which are so old the c-13 has long since decayed into c-12), then the ratio should go down.

Guess which is true. http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=87

Mokele

alright guys.... I rather not start poking my nose into this debate as I am very biased towards nature. But, if u guys want to... please watch this:

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v3933716p48DrSn

Its Sir David Attenborough's : Can we save planet earth

<embed src="http://www.veoh.com/videodetails2.swf?permalinkId=v3933716p48DrSn&id=2101992&player=videodetailsembedded&videoAutoPlay=0" allowFullScreen="true" width="540" height="438" bgcolor="#000000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br/><a href="http://www.veoh.com/">Online Videos by Veoh.com</a>

There is also another 5 part series of him talking about our effect TO earth.

ohh...this website is kinda like youtube...but u need to download its player and the file to watch it fully. This will only show u a 5 min preview in the link.

Back