What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to China; tips?

culure

I am Chinese so here are a few tips ,..... In our tradition you should eat with chopsticks and sit up straight you should try to,learn to speak Chinese because that will help you with food, souviners,etc. thats pretty much it because everbody told you the rest :-O
(p.s food will taste different they eat regular stuff but will also , in some places eat snake crocodile,bats,monke,etc. its a shame :-( )

我会中文。 我的中文不好, as you can probably tell since I have to write this in English. But I know how to write around 120 characters, so I figure I'll be mostly good. 我喜欢吃饺子.:-D I'm good with chopsticks, and I often have dinner at my friend's house. Lol, I'm such a moocher.

I think I'll prolly just eat yogurt, although I'll try to find those pills to take along, too. I already am taking 100g of minocycline (minocin) everyday for acne, so I think that should help with traveller's diarrhea.

I dunno if I'll have time to do anything like look for CPs, because we will be touring with his family most of the time. And also, they probably don't care much for them. But I'll take pics of any strange plants at markets!

-Ben

Ooch! Minocycline is tough stuff. Don't let it expire! If you're taking an internal antibiotic, that sort of defeats the purpose of taking probiotics.

I want to ride a segway across the entire Great Wall. And they call me eccentric...

Take your own Immodium with you for that tourist diarhea! Wish I had it when I lived in Honduras for 6 months.

You shouldn't have problems. Chinese demand the freshest ingredients for their cooking and almost everything is cooked while you wait. So long as Capslock recommends you avoid the low-end establishments (mostly street vendors) you should be ok. There are areas with semi-permanent food vendors in Shanghai and no doubt Beijing where you can get great meals though.

Most likely if you have reactions it will be to the seasonings and spices but you should get used to that in a few days.

Ben,

If you're looking for something plant-related, try to make it to Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanic Garden, Yunnan. There's probably a good chance of finding a few Neps there. Also, if you make it there, look for a guy that works there, Dr. Chuck Cannon. Tell him you're a friend of Ron Buczek (thats me!) and aks him about CPs and whatnot. He's a great guy...extremely nice and hilarious. He does work with tropical trees in Kalimantan and Sulawesi, so he's not really concerned with neps in terms of research, but its a chance to talk face to face with someone who knows about them and has seen them in the wild. He might lose you if he goes really in depth though...that guy is a genius. Literally, like a living plant encyclopedia.

Why do you say that? Do you have any information on what type? I'm guessing you assume I will be taking antibiotics for stomach ailments?

I say that because my father-in-law has been over there 4-5 times now with his job and every time he goes he gets gastric distress. The reason behind it is that the "microbial population" there is radically different than what you have here, different species, different strains and such. So basically your body is not familiar with them and so there tends to be a competition between your native and the non-native types.

I would use a broad species type probiotic, I take one called Primal Defense. I recommend taking one daily for a couple weeks to get your gut properly loaded but then you can cut back to every other day or every third day (do not bother going to 3x a day like the package says, that just makes you burn through them faster so you have to buy more.) If you start to get gastric distress bump back to once a day.

I actually was not assuming you would be taking antibiotics. Truth be told I am pretty hard against the superfluous use of antibiotics so I would recommend you not bother with them unless you are really truely seriously ill and even then you should make bloody sure it is a non-viral cause for your illness. Taking the probiotic now should make it so you do not have to take antibiotics.

One other thing I should have recommended is to go to the CDC website and see what vaccinations they recommend for travel in that region and make sure you get them all. Off the top of my head you are probably going to need HepA and typhus. WOuld not hurt to do HepB if you have the time and maybe even yellow fever. Migh also consider one of the encephalitis vaccines as they tend to offer a lot of cross reactive protection...

I already have the vaccination for HepB and the first vaccination for HepA. My parents say that typhoid is an epidemic, so I don't really need to get one for that. I'll have to ask my skin doctor guy about whether or not I still need to constantly take that antibiotic, and how it will affect my stomach and stuff. Because either I take it for China, which kills everything (as in everything, or at least mostly, that causes traveller's diarrhea), or I rely on the normal bacteria to help me out and get pimples. ???

-Ben

Your parent are not necessarily correct about typhus. There are about 6 different diseases called "typhus" that are unrelated. The typhus I am refering to that you can get a vaccine for is one carried by a biting louse (and very rarely by other blood sucking critters.) I believe it is endemic in China but I may be mistaken, hence my suggestion you check the CDC page.

You dermatologist is going to tell you something totally different than I am about the antibiotic, mainly because he is not a microbiologist and I am :) I was assuming you were talking about getting an antibiotic specifically for the trip which I do not recommend. I am guessing from your comment that you are already perscribed this antibiotic for acne related reasons? If so that sort of changes the field of play. While I personally do not advocate antibiotics for that use I am not going to argue against a standing perscription. One thing I do want to warn you about most antibiotics are not broad scale killers and do not take out everything in your system, that is why we have so many different kinds. What are you currently taking? If the antibiotic is one that is not effective against the probiotics then you can take both. Or, you can take both anyways and just take one of the pills in the morning and the other at night so that the probiotics have a chance to establish some without hard antagonism by the antibiotic.

THe biggest tip I have for you is to stop by Shanghai. Shanghai by far is better then the three places you are going to.

Other tips include if you shop, which you should, divide the price they tell you by 2 or 3. They will try to rip off any tourist. If you do visit shanghai, brings tons of anti inch and bug repellent and bring something to enterain you on the plane ride cause its terrible. I go almost every summer for two months and I love it.

Your parent are not necessarily correct about typhus. There are about 6 different diseases called "typhus" that are unrelated. The typhus I am refering to that you can get a vaccine for is one carried by a biting louse (and very rarely by other blood sucking critters.) I believe it is endemic in China but I may be mistaken, hence my suggestion you check the CDC page.

You dermatologist is going to tell you something totally different than I am about the antibiotic, mainly because he is not a microbiologist and I am :) I was assuming you were talking about getting an antibiotic specifically for the trip which I do not recommend. I am guessing from your comment that you are already perscribed this antibiotic for acne related reasons? If so that sort of changes the field of play. While I personally do not advocate antibiotics for that use I am not going to argue against a standing perscription. One thing I do want to warn you about most antibiotics are not broad scale killers and do not take out everything in your system, that is why we have so many different kinds. What are you currently taking? If the antibiotic is one that is not effective against the probiotics then you can take both. Or, you can take both anyways and just take one of the pills in the morning and the other at night so that the probiotics have a chance to establish some without hard antagonism by the antibiotic.

"Epidemic typhus, which is sometimes called jail fever or louse-borne typhus, is caused by Rickettsia prowazekii, which is carried by body lice. When the lice feed on a human, they may simultaneously defecate. When the person scratches the bite, the feces (which carrys the bacteria) are scratched into the wound. Body lice are common in areas in which people live in overcrowded, dirty conditions, with few opportunities to wash themselves or their clothing. Because of this fact, this form of typhus occurs simultaneously in large numbers of individuals living within the same community; that is, in epidemics. This type of typhus occurs when cold weather, poverty, war, and other disasters result in close living conditions that encourage the maintenance of a population of lice living among humans. Some medical historians think that the Great Plague of Athens in 430 B.C. may have been epidemic typhus. Epidemic typhus is now found in the mountainous regions of Africa, South America, and Asia."

That's what healthatoz.com says about the type of thyphus that is caused by lice. CDC said nothing about lice, mostly just un-safe water and food. EDIT: I previously looked at the disease called "typhoid", but did a search on "typhus", which gave me a large page, and this information:

"Treatments for most rickettsial illnesses are similar and include administration of appropriate antibiotics (e.g., tetracyclines, chloramphenicol, azithromycin, fluoroquinolones, and rifampin) and supportive care. Treatment should usually be given empirically prior to disease confirmation, and the particular antimicrobial agent and the length of treatment are dependent upon the disease and the host. No licensed vaccines for prevention of rickettsial infections are commercially available in the United States."

If that's the case, the acne medication I'm using is a form of tetracyline I think, which would possibly cure the typhus, but I'm not sure.

You're right, my doctor had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned "gut flora". I took 100mg of minocin (minocycline) once a day, but now he is making me take two 100mg pills a day, because the previous method was not working. I read that this medicine kills E. coli and Shigella ssp., which are both the main causes of traveller's diarrhea. It also kills several other things as well. (Here's a PDF, check pages 6 and 7.) I don't know if it hurts the normal bacteria that are evidentally helpful.

-Ben

My father had troubles sending attachments because of the internet restrictions in China. I tried explaining to him about photobucket and imageshack to share his photos. My impression of you, Ben, is that you are a little more savvy with sharing photos, even behind "the great firewall" of China, lol.

xvart.

No licensed vaccines for prevention of rickettsial infections are commercially available in the United States."

How very odd, when inquiring about what vaccines I would need for the Yucatan I was told to get the typhus vaccine... Wonder if the Dr. was off her rocker?? Or maybe since I am at Emory and we are affiliated with CDC we have access to stuff not normally available (though that seems a little unethical.)

Yeah, figured it would be tetracycline or a derivative. Should work fine against R. prowazekii in the event you do get it. However, it will also take down the probiotics so if you do decide to go that route then go for the one in the morning and the other at night routine and keep up a daily dose the whole time you are over there.

You're right, my doctor had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned "gut flora".

Like I said, he isn't a microbiologist :) Even more evident when you take into account this passage from you PDF:

To reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria and maintain the effectiveness of Minocin (minocycline hydrochloride) Pellet-Filled Capsules and other antibacterial drugs, Minocin (minocycline hydrochloride) Pellet-Filled Capsules should be used only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by bacteria.

Unfortunatly dermatologists are very high among those who over prescribe antibiotics. But I said I would not preach so I'll just shut up...

There's a typhoid vaccine, but typhoid's a different beast than typhus.

Ok, I'm glad that it works against that type of typhus. Although, because my dosage is now two pills a day, I think I am supposed to take one in the morning and one in the evening, although my doctor did not say this, nor do the instructions on the bottle. If I do take one at different ends of the day, then I wouldn't be able to take the probiotics. But if I take both at the same time, I could. Just that I think I'm supposed to have level amounts of the antibiotic in me at all times to kill the bacteria that cause acne or whatever. I really don't know what is better.

I realize that taking antibiotics at a rate like this is not good at all, but I really don't like acne, either.

I figured typhus and typhoid were different, because the CDC had them on different pages. :-D

-Ben

My father had troubles sending attachments because of the internet restrictions in China. I tried explaining to him about photobucket and imageshack to share his photos. My impression of you, Ben, is that you are a little more savvy with sharing photos, even behind "the great firewall" of China, lol.

xvart.

Heh, are you saying I'm on a mission to upload pictures in China before I come back to America?

-Ben

lol. Well, Ben, I know how much everyone here loves your photos; so I figured some people would be demanding to see your pictures! Or, just warning you because we all wouldn't want you to get locked up in a Chinese prison camp like Jack Bauer in "24!"

xvart.

lol I think my parents were obsessed with that show. Why did he go to prison in China?

-Ben

Why did he go to prison in China?

He went on a trip to China (Beijing, Wuhan, and then Shiyan) with a friend and tried to upload pictures through attachments. :-))

Actually he was on a raid in the chinese embassy and a Chinese guard was killed by friendly fire; but they accused Jack of doing it.

xvart.

Back