What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
We just moved this Saturday, to a townhouse within the same town, in Western New York.

My CP collection, minus a couple Petiolaris Complex plants are on the patio of the apartment, which will be adequate for ther balance of the summer and part of the fall. My wife volunteered to find me an aesthetic looking rack for the plants. Not sure what I am going to do with the American pitcher plants, VFT's, and temperate sundews for the winter, since I no longer have an attic or an unheated window sill. I did connect with a guy at work who has kept pitcher plants before and maybe I can con him into taking them off my hand when the time comes. I'd like to do something similar to the unheated stairwaiy windows for the Mexican pings and the pigmy sundews, but will have to look into that. After 2 days on the patio, the plants are safe and not reacting to full sun or overnight lows in the 50's.

Addendum: When I came home from work and checked on the plants, I saw that ~2/3 of the Mexican butterworts and the D. adelaes reacted. The butterworts have that gray, lifeless, washed out look to them. Lynn volunteeted the bedroom window sill, which wasn't enought space. The rest of them went into a storage tray. Too soon to determine whether this reaction was unto death or just temporary destruction of the existing leaves.

BTW, this is NOT a plea for plants! I am only venting my frustration.

Ouch. I hope that's only a temporary setback and good luck with the new home.

yikes! good luck with the transition. at least you didn't have to move across the country or anything.

don't worry jim. I move like 4-6 times an year. Just get a nice shoplight fixture.....put two philips daylight bulbs in...and thats all they would ask (VFT's and sundews). I have had no problems with VFTs, dews or the p.primuliflora that I have. They don't mind the move at all. They start growing the next day. Ofcourse, the ceph, the neps do show effects. They stall for a week or so. Just get the daylight fix for VFT's and even sarrs (if they are small) ;)

ppl say sarrs cannot grow inside.. that is only a problem if you have the FULL SIZED ones. look at this one: around a foot tall

554575395_f3f757308f.jpg

I grow all my plants under lights. I can confidently say that my VFT's look pretty colourful ;) . its not as bad as you might think. (especially if you have been growing them outside)

When I moved 2 years ago, I lost almost all my plants. I just finished a new bog and only now am I starting to rebuild my collection. I know what you're going through.

I have a solution to your problem. I have a new (almost empty) bog. I'll be glad to babysit them for you until you can get a place to put them. It might be an extreme solution, but it's better than letting them die. I'll send them back to you whenever you ask at my expense.

I'm sure you'll come up with a better solution, but I have the space if you need it.

Oh wow, all that risk for just moving across town. Hope all works well for you.

Peter

Dang ! An entire house moved and all you have go wrong is a few washed out plants ! You da man. Good luck finding a spot for them all.

Stewarding plants for other people is a very kind "CP" thing to do. :) At one time or another many of us may be faced with having to give up plants when we don't really want to. So if anyone can step up to the plate, like Ozzy, and offer to steward plants for someone, please do! Things change and maybe later on Jim will be in a place where he can take them back.

Also bear in mind that if you share seeds and/or plants with your fellow CPers, then if something tragic happens to your own plants, you might well be able to replace your lost plants through someone you shared with previously. Its like having plant insurance. :) Just another good reason to give away material when you have the opportunity.

I hope you like your new home Jim. But moving sucks. lol

I'm just hoping that the butterworts still have life in them! They have been my "bread & butter" for trades this past year.... they and the Utrics. Probably in another week or so I will know better their status.

Back