Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: R/O Unit Problems

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    oh, good! As long as it has a destiny other than sitting in the "junk drawer" for 4 years before someone says "What the heck is this" "I dunno, not mine." "Okay, I'm going to throw it away." haha
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool.... i recommend you still take all the readings and put them in a safe spot, then if you have future issues you will have some baseline numbers to compare with

and do you have a pretty good understanding of the process now?

nice work

and its all about pressure differentials:

Reverse osmosis separation technology is used to remove dissolved impurities from water through the use of a semi-permeable membrane. RO involves the reversal of flow through a membrane from a high salinity, or concentrated, solution to the high purity, or "permeate", stream on the opposite side of the membrane. Pressure is used as the driving force for the separation. The applied pressure (P) must be in excess of the osmotic pressure of the dissolved contaminants to allow flow across the membrane. (General Electric's Membrane Division)

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.. I spoke too soon.

Just now I went to fill a gallon jug with the water and I checked the TDS. It's 26 now. That didn't bug me all that much because I figured as the tank got less full, the TDS would get lower. But actually.. the opposite happened. It slowly went from 26 to 30 and it just kept going up steadily from there until it got to 41 just as the tank emptied.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    then you need to take the measurements... if tds is low coming out of the membrane but high coming from the tank then the membrane isnt the prob... (just an example...)

i cant tell you if your membrane is good or bad without knowing the numbers, no one can

if... your brine rate is between 3:1 to 5:1

and

if your water temp is "normal"

and

if your pressures are correct

and

if your rejection rate is less then 90%

then the membrane is junk, it's cut and dry

if the rejection rate is more then 90%

then the membrane is damaged but servicable, more then 95-97% and its in great shape

its that easy... but you got to do it systematically or you will continue to go in circles mate

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason the TDS went back up is because the waste line slipped off of the hole in the drain pipe so the pressure was put back on the membrane again. I fixed this by extending the hose so that it actually goes into the drain pipe.. which is actually probably what I was supposed to do in the first place, but the waste line came pre-attached and I once again assumed that nothing more needed to be done with it. Now the system doesn't reach the nails that it had been hanging on (I don't know WHY they had to make some of the hoses so short and others incredible long.) but it's not that big of a deal...

Now the TDS should be going back down now. I still can't wait to get that new restrictor.. apparently it was just now shipped today so it probably won't get here until Monday or so.. but I had to move it from the setting that I had it on before so now I'm not sure if it's the right ratio. 4 1/2 turns I did.. it better be right.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567