What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

went hunting today..........

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
used a 300mm

elk.jpg

elk2.jpg

buffalo.jpg

Great photos. I love the buffalo one. Any luck?

xvart.

Luckily for him, the 300mm was a lens. Otherwise, his shoulder would be somewhere in Idaho.

Luckily for him, the 300mm was a lens. Otherwise, his shoulder would be somewhere in Idaho.

LOL. Shows what i know. :-)) Noob much? lol.

xvart.

Yea, that'd be one heck of a hunting gun. LOL Wonderful pictures, I love wildlife.

lol yeah....my normal hunting rifle shoots a bullet thats about 6.5mm in diameter....hell my big gun is only 11.6mm :grin: 300mm is an 11 inch gun, thats into battle tank main gun territory :grin:

The biggest I normally shoot is a 7mm. We don't have anything in NC that would merit an 11mm.

hell my big gun is only 11.6mm :grin: 300mm is an 11 inch gun, thats into battle tank main gun territory :grin:

Then I guess you probably wouldn't miss with that!

xvart.

the best way to put an animal through a lense is seen here in this thread :3

The biggest I normally shoot is a 7mm. We don't have anything in NC that would merit an 11mm.

actually if yah hunt thick stuff at all for deer or black bear than my 11mm is ideal. i use it for deer and elk in the thick timber. its short, light weight and has a ton of power. its the first one on the left

IMG_0161.jpg

BTW 11.6mm is just .458 inches.....the round in question is a 45-70

Those are some pretty pieces of hardware. It's so cool to see what people shoot.

What is the gun to the 2nd left? That's a very interesting pattern that I've never seen.

Thick timber, huh? Yep, now I know why I don't use one. We stand hunt and clear out a path to the bait pile. I normally use a 25-06. Does the job. I'm also partial to a .50 cal muzzle loader.

the second to the left is a custom built off a Remington 700 short action. its chambered for 375WSM hell of an elk rifle with a hell of a punch on both ends. the stock on its a McMillan. the rifle weighed in at about 8 pounds with scope.......the recoil tore apart the scope pictured on it after about 40 rounds :grin: i traded it though for a Kimber 84M in 260 Remington. my new Kimber with a 6x scope weights in at a hair over 6 pounds........now thats a packing rifle. joy to shoot aswell. im without a serious elk rifle at the moment though. thinking of getting a CZ in 9.3x62. though with good bullets the Kimber can pinch hit for elk pretty well. here i can go from hunting elk and mule deer in thick timber to hunting them as well as speed goats on open prairie in as lil as a couple miles.......generally carry 2 rifles in the truck :grin: i hate stands, much prefer to walk....

Wow, Beautiful scenery! you're lucky you can go hunting in such a nice place!

I wish we had bison here. If we did you can believe I'd be stalking them like I've been doing our local gator population.

We don't have anything in NC that would merit an 11mm.

We do, but most of them are in Raleigh.

And NC sent the rest to Washington.

So do every other state.

I wish we had bison here. If we did you can believe I'd be stalking them like I've been doing our local gator population.

We do, but most of them are in Raleigh.

Dang, I'm moving to Raleigh! :jester:

Short of hitting a reserve -which I'd love to do- you can't really do a lot stocking. We don't have the big western ranches. I do however stalk turkey and coyotes when I go after them. I just don't get to hunt them much. I plan to do a lot more coyote hunting because the population is started to REALLY swell and I know the hunting is pretty easy! LOL We've got 76 acres that they are just crawling all over that I plan to hunt with a friend.

By the way, my dad wants to know what the rifle on the far right is.

By the way, my dad wants to know what the rifle on the far right is.

its a Savage 99EG built in 1953 IIRC, would have to look at the lever boss code again and double check but im prolly only off a year. its chambered in 300 Savage. it has a Redfield reciever sight and hasnt been drilled and tapped for a scope. my first big game animal was taken with a Savage 99A in 250 Savage.....kinda like to keep atleast one 99 in the safe :grin:

Enough about the guns. What's attached to the outlet behind them and is that a sheetrock wall they're leaning on?

Back