What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sending potted CPs to California

Hey guys,

I'm a little confused about something and maybe someone here can help.

I need to ship some potted CPs to California and I'm not sure if this is allowed because I recalled a thread stating there were certain restrictions on sending soil or plants in soil to California.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Are there restrictions on sending potted plants from Florida to Cali?

Ah yes!

It is not California that is your enemy here; it's the sending of plant material out of Florida. I'm not sure what they are exactly but there are a whole bunch of restrictions due to all the vegetables fruits etc coming into the ports (at least this is what he was told). Also I don't know how to deal with customs regarding that either... Sending things to Florida should be fine but exporting them is a different matter...

Hope it helped...
-J.P. : /

A summary of the restrictions of transporting plants to CA can be found here:

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pe/summary.htm

An email and phone number is listed to contact California Department of Food and Agriculture is on the page if you have any questions. State what you are interested in sending and from where.

CA doesn't want to be receiving your potting medium from FL. Send them bare-root and don't label the box as having plants. CPs aren't on CA's list but, if they were to decide to inspect them, everything would be dead by the time they're done. I don't think the USPS routinely diverts boxes labeled "live plants", but I'd avoid the risk by not labelling the box.

The very last box in that table at the bottom says California regulates all plants and plant parts except tomatoes from Florida. I say just don't label it. I highly doubt a CP would harm California's ecosystem. It's pretty easy to kill CPs, it's not like they're weeds.

I don't think that it is the plants themselves but what could be living in them or their potting mix.

-J.P.

The very last box in that table at the bottom says California regulates all plants and plant parts except tomatoes from Florida. I say just don't label it. I highly doubt a CP would harm California's ecosystem. It's pretty easy to kill CPs, it's not like they're weeds.

The sentence is confusing but it means that of tomato plants you can only send the fruit or seeds - no other tomato plant parts or whole.

Thanks for the help everyone!

If I receive a reply to my email from the Pest Exclusion Branch, I'll post it.

I thought California was a liberal state. Why would they discriminate against soil from Florida?
I go there twice a year and even though I am a conservative, they let me in.
However, I take a antiseptic shower before returning home...don't want to bring home any of that Pelosi dust. :-D

Back