What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying Book 3

pedersonplants

The Obsessive Gardener
Hi:

I've earned another $25 gift certificate from amazon.com credit card. Am thinking of buying volume 3 of the Carnivorous Plants of Australia to supplement my cp library.

I have Slack's book, Barry's Book, Savage Garden, and CP of North America. Also have Gardening with Carnivores (Sarracenias).

Would there be a better book than this 3rd volume?

I'm particularly looking at tropical cps that could grow year round in a terrarium.

Would rather not waste this certificate if the book wouldn't add that much to my library.

That's a really good book, but its focus isn't on cultivation. It's a great field guide that gives tons of info on natural habitats. There's also a ton of scientific jargon referring to plant parts and whatnot.

So if you're looking for a book in the same style as say, The Savage Garden, then look elsewhere. But if you want something a little more on the scientific side (with some nice pictures of CPs in their natural habitats) then I say go for it.

Are the pictures black and white or colored? I was really hoping to have something that would cover the plants I run across that aren't mentioned in one of my books.

The pictures are in color, and if I remember correctly (too lazy to go grab my book!) the diagrams and drawings are in black and white.

Back