What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sad day for vft's

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Today I was driving down a road that has a very nice vft site. This site was part of the cp tour I have given to a number of people. Pics of these same plants have been posted on here at least twice before.

I've known for awhile that they are planning to turn the 2 lane road into a four lane. The construction on the road isn't suppose to start for another year or so. Apparently they have started moving the utilities. They are moving them in the edge of the vft's. I thought about it all day and I decided that I can't let them just be destroyed.

So I went back to the site this afternoon and the site has changed so much that it took me about 15 minutes to find the vft's even though I have been to the site many times. I've never had trouble finding them before, I've always just walked right up to them. After looking over the site I decided it was best to take the plants that were near the construction. I know this site don't have very long to exist because the whole area is rapidly being developed and this land it up for sell. Regardless I decided it was best to only take the plants that were currently in danger.

I took some pics before I removed the plants.

Here are some pics of the construction.

225598209O129809173.jpg
225598184O592952888.jpg

225598228O529921496.jpg

225598224O559203607.jpg

225598240O148893049.jpg

Here is where some of the vft's are.
225598243O779264499.jpg

In the next pic you can see where the construction currently is and where the closest vft is.

225598286O209423647.jpg

Some of the vft's were in really bad shape. I guess the workers have been walking on them.

225598293O237061952.jpg

225598299O291873846.jpg

The next pics are after I dug up the vtf's. I only dug up about a 2ft by 5 ft patch. I felt that the vft's past that wasn't in danger at this time. So I left them there.

225598315O971017708.jpg

225598325O606431929.jpg

225598324O500626800.jpg

I got about 100 pounds of vft's and the soil that they were in. I put them in a plastic tub.

225598323O442843255.jpg

225598369O829623109.jpg

225598352O868664628.jpg

I probably have hundreds of plants and seeds. I also got some D.capillaris. I plan to keep half the plants to one day introduce them to back to the site if it is ever possible. I'm going to offer the other half to site that a friend of mine owns and has agreed to protect. I'm not going to sell, or trade any of these so please don't ask.

Noble work, Ozzy. How long did that job take you? Did anyone stop and question you about what you were doing?

xvart.

It took me about an hour. One other sad fact that i wanted to mention before but I forgot was that even though I was in plan site of the road, I had a shovel and was digging up vft's and placing them in a tub, nobody stopped and questioned what i was doing. I saw a few looking as they drove by, but nobody cares. This is a very busy road too.

isn't VFT collecting illegal though. Apart from the fact that its ok that ppl can kill endangered plants. (IRONY. :( :( ). I am not supporting either one.....but good job Ozzy. Its really sad to see things like this.

Its just sad on how entire ecosystems that have endured for generations basically disappear in flashes due to the impact of human life. :(

Good plan with the VFT's ozzy. Good luck. :)

how can the gov't not care that ENDANGERED species are being killed, tampled, etc...?

it's just discusting! :censor:

no offence, but i would stop and question you and/or probably report you to the police :D!!

no offence, but i would stop and question you and/or probably report you to the police :D!!

Most of the people probably didn't even know that there were vft's there, or even that vft's are endangered. Ozzy probably just looks like a construction worker doing his thing.

xvart.

Haha, I would too if I hadn't read this first. Sad... poor Venus Flytraps. Why does it need more road? Stupid civilization...

Stupid Civilization? With out Civilization we wouldnt have the internet, and most of us wouldnt have VFT's! Hows THAT for a smack in the face?!

To bad about that site Ozzy.

I just took another look at the picture of the trampled vft and it truly is a sad picture...

xvart.

With out Civilization we wouldnt have the internet, and most of us wouldnt have VFT's! Hows THAT for a smack in the face?!

Without civilization, none of this would have happened! everything would be good, natural, etc...How's THAT-oh never mind.

But yes, this is a horrible, horrible thing.

Thank you Ozzy.

bless you for doing that, Ozzy. If i could have been there with you, the job would have gone by twice as fast :3

Good work Ozzy. Next year the little individuals will be romping away wherever their new home will be.

I don't know about planning laws in the US, but in the UK you are really not allowed to just build roads if it destroys endangered species. It's common for rare species such as certain newts, frogs and plants to be removed prior to any building, if the development is given any permission to go ahead in the first place.

isn't VFT collecting illegal though.

Well the short answer is yes. You can collect VFT's if you have written permission from the land owner. I think what I did would have been an extreme gray area. If a wildlife or police officer had saw me collecting them, I don't know if I would have arrested. If I had been arrested I don't know if I would have been convicted. I thought about all this, before and while I was removing the vft's, and I decided that if I was arrested I would damn sure use use it to make everybody I could aware of what is really happening with our local cp's. The way I look at it is that since the land they were taken from was in the states right of way, I am part owner through taxes. Since the state didn't care enough to save them, I did. Sometimes doing the right thing means you have to break the law.

The penalty for poaching is $2000 fine and 6 months in jail. Each plant and each seed is a separate offense. So I would be facing a life sentence if I was caught. LOL

Apart from the fact that its ok that ppl can kill endangered plants.

VFT's are not listed and endangered. They are listed as a Species of concern.

I would have too. lol

Why does it need more road? Stupid civilization...

The reason that we need new roads is because people from the north (We call them yankees) are moving down here in record numbers. There are more nonnative people here than there are native.

Why did you take the media, too? To avoid stress or to do some.... natural media conservation deal?

I was surprised that you'd do it without permission because you work for NASC, but I've done the same thing (is this considered Poaching of Passion? lmao) at a construction site in Florida so I can't say anything bad. You did the right thing (even if technically was in the wrong way.)

To the person who doesn't like civilization, leave your house, get off the internet, and go live in the woods. Come back in a week and tell us how you like civilization then. Get real.

I work for NASC but I want to make sure that everybody understands that I did what I did on my own. This is in no way connected with them.

I took the whole media so that it'll reduce stress on the plants.

There was plenty of civilization before we started living with such a large footprint that destroys everything around us. NC isn't developing like that only because of Yankees moving there. CT's population has hardly budged in decades, yet roads, subdivisions and shopping centers are sprawling out like mad.

NC isn't developing like that only because of Yankees moving there.

Development will happen no matter what, but we are forced to grow and grow fast to accommodate not only our growing population but the influx of people fleeing ohio, New York and New Jersey.

Wait Why Ohio? I could see why cause the stupid Public Smoking Ban.

Back