What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horticultural Sand

Has anyone used Quikrete All Purpose Sand as part of their CP media mix? The Quikrete website says it is coarse sand and one of the listed uses is mixing with potting soil. Is there something better that may be available? I can't seem to find a place here that sells "horticultural" sand.

Jason

It's fine. Don't ever buy sand just because it says "horticultural", or not buy sand because it doesn't.

Rinse it well first. It's dusty.

I actually asked a couple guys in the department and supposedly it is sand that doesn't have chemicals. But as with anything, rinse well.

If one wanted to be sure they were using an inert sand, couldn't you pour a little muriatic acid into some sand? If there's a reaction, it's alkaline and you wouldn't want to use it. If there's no reaction, it's inert and safe to use in plants?

I've tried three types of sand: quikrete; "cactus" sand designed to decorate plant soil surfaces; and pool filter sand. Out of those, I definitely like the pool filter sand the most. It's coarse, guaranteed to be inert, and it's very clean. Plus it's cheap (I paid like $5 for a 50-pound bag) and easy to find (go to any pool supply store).

I've tried three types of sand: quikrete; "cactus" sand designed to decorate plant soil surfaces; and pool filter sand. Out of those, I definitely like the pool filter sand the most. It's coarse, guaranteed to be inert, and it's very clean. Plus it's cheap (I paid like $5 for a 50-pound bag) and easy to find (go to any pool supply store).

I looked up pool filter sand and there are two different kinds. Do you use the silica, or quartz sand?

Horticultural sand by definition should be both chemically neutral and inert. Check the label. You should be able to buy it at any garden supply shop. Since it's often classed as decorative it can be expensive.

Play sand can be had at most hardware stores at about $5 for a 50 pound bag. Play sand is usually quartz or silica which are chemically neutral and inert.

Pure Quartz/silica sand is clear whiteish. Since horticultural sand is often "decorative" it is often mixed clear/tan/brown/black from impurities in the silica/quartz but it should be inert. Glass after all is just quartz/silica and gets its color from added impurities. But read the label.

As mentioned before, rinse your sand no matter what. The sand itself maybe inert but there may be other crap in there from the manufaturing process and/or the small particles are suspected of clogging root pores.

I use "AquaQuartz Pool Filter Sand". I think it's 20 grade or whatever you call it, so pretty big sized particles. A crud load bigger than play sand, which I think is good because it loosens up the soil a lot more.

-Ben

If one wanted to be sure they were using an inert sand, couldn't you pour a little muriatic acid into some sand? If there's a reaction, it's alkaline and you wouldn't want to use it. If there's no reaction, it's inert and safe to use in plants?

Any kind of acid would work, including household vinegar.

Back