What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did not know this

Rosolio is still produced in Europe, however I don't think they still use Drosera as one of the ingredients. Now they use like.. rose petals.

I would love to try a Drosera infused Rosolio.

Take of the hearbe Rosa-Solis, gathered in Iulie one gallon, pick out all the black moats from the leaues, dates halfe a pound, Cinamon, Ginger, Cloues of each one ounce, grains halfe an ounce, fine sugar a pound and a halfe, red rose leaues, greene or dried foure handfuls, steepe all these in a gallon of good Aqua Composita in a glasse close stopped with wax, during twenty dayes, shake it well together once euerie two dayes. Your sugar mutt be powdred, your spices brused onely or grosselie beaten, your dates cut in long slices the stones taken away. If you add two or three graines of Ambergreece, and as much muske in your glasse amongst the rest of the Ingredients , it will have a pleasant smell. Some adde the gum amber with coral and pearle finely poudred , and fine leafe golde. Some vse to boyle Ferdinando bucke in Rosewater, till they haue purchased a faire deepe crimson colour, and when the same is cold, they colour their Rosa solis and Aqua Rubea therewith.

From Sir Hugh Platt, Delightes for Ladies (London: 1600)

So what I gather, the simplified version is:
A gallon of sundew leaves with the black bugs removed,
.5 lb dates
1 ounce cinnamon,
1 ounce ginger
1 ounce cloves
.5 ounce grain
1.5 lb powdered sugar
4 handfulls (about 5 or 6 cups) fresh or dried red rose leaves

grind all the herbs, cut dates in slices, and put it in a gallon of compound water (what's that mean? Maybe add some vodka to distilled water.) for 20 days. Shake well every two days.

I suggest you skip on the ambergris :) Ground amber, coral, pearls and gold leaf sounds like the ultimate in conspicuous consumption lmao. Maybe you should add some diamond dust while you're at it lol.

First I have to decipher recipe. Antiquated English takes a bit longer to read.

Maybe you should add some diamond dust while you're at it lol

Or, if you're up for attaining a higher plane of consciousness, some gold isotopes. lol

Back