What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHat's that moving in my terarrium

I was looking at my terrarium from across the room tonight and saw something move. I figured it was just a big moth that finally found his way in. When i went to look here's what I found:

lizard.jpg

I've been studying tree frogs and dart frogs as possible future inhabitants when I got the tank setup naturally the way I wanted so this was totally unexpected. Right now it's just an empty aquarium with a false bottom and about 30 plants in 2-4" pots that I've recieved over the last month or so from all over the US, including hawaii. So he couldve come from anywhere. definatley not a local critter for Minnesota. My guess is he came in as an egg in a pot since he's so tiny.

I'm planning on getting some fruit fly cultures tomorrow since I think even the small crickets at petsmart would be too large for him.
Will I need to get some nutrient dust to put on the flies too?

Hopefully someone can help me, I'd like to keep this little guy healthy and happy.

It looks to me like an cuban anole.

You got some plants from Cuba?! lol. He's cute. What a great picture on the label stick. It sure shows the size of the little guy.

xvart.

Him on the plant label is how I found him after I saw the movement in the tank and went to investigate. After he saw me he just froze. Now I can't find him after I've been here on the PC!

WOW its a Brown Anole (cuban brown anole), Anolis sagrei

250px-Anolis_sagrei.jpg

Thats a male with a extended dewlap. Yours might be a female, but same species, no?

Theres 2 species that can have 'cuban' in front of it. The brown anole has a cuban subspecies. Theres also the Cuban knight Anole (Anolis equestris), not this species. Both are called 'cuban anole'. Confused yet?

And both are introduced to florida, too, BTW.

I used to keep these as a pet, thats how i know. I love them great species

I hope it's a Cuban Knight, they are so sweet.

Sweet as in big and has a nasty temper! Those things bite hard. They had them at the animal shelter i used to work in. I take the tiny one any day.

heres a cuban knight for reference
250px-

How can this not be considered sweet.

Marcus725sundaydasdaFULL.jpg

lmao! I want a pet velociraptor. :p

Thanks for the info folks! I saw him on my bearfoot fern first thing this morning when I misted the plants but by the time I got the first lamp off the lid of the tank he was "vanished" again. I'm gonna go out today and get supplies to make a substrate layer and I'll have to pull out all the potted plants and plant them. I was planning to do this at my leisure a month or so from now but now It's kinda imperative I do it since I don't want all the fruitflies to fall into the water resivor under the false bottom.

Does anyone have any ideas how best to catch him, he sure is fast and easily hides easily!

The best way would be a gluetrap. I have a feeling that's not an option you want to do though. I think the best way to catch him without hurting him would be a large net. Like a butterfly net.

Goodluck catching it. It’s a pain and they will hide in places where you cant get them. And they are FAST! Don’t grab it by the tail, the tail will fall off if seized!

Back