What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to acquire another baby lizard?

Ok, so I've been doing reading up on the brown Anole I found in my terarrium the other day. Many websites and two books I picked up say that Anoles should be kept with others of their kind to be happy/not bored. So, now I've been looking for a source for hatchling brown anoles but haven't come up with anything.

All the local pet shops I hit today only had the green species and they were about 2-3 times the size of my hatchling. I looked at Kingsnake.com but you can't post free want ads/inquiries to buy anymore like I seem to recall you could long ago. Gotta pay the same as if you're selling something. This weekend I'll hit the outta town pet shops and see what there is.

Am I just being paranoid about their need for companionship or will this one be OK with introducing another one or two (likely of the green species) at a later date. Say when I'm able to tell what sex it is? If mine is a male and I introduce a green female (or vice versa) will they interbreed or at least, enjoy each others company?

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me over the past few days. This guy was such an unexpected surprise, I want to do everything I can to make him happy/healthy.

It is not totally necessary for them to have companions. A lot of those "guides" are written by dealers who just want you to buy more. I am not sure if anyone actually sells browns as they are not as "cool" as the greens. Your best bet migh be to just talk to someone in FL and see if they can catch a few and ship them to you.

They should cohabit with greens well enough, they do in FL at any rate. I do not think they will cross breed but one never knows what animals will do in captivity.

One it gets a little older and easy way to sex is to put a mirror in front of it. If it is male usually it will display its dewlap in challenge.

We have tons of green anole here in the trees. Good luck catching them lmao. They turn from green to brown and back.

They always have this incredible blase look on their face, like they just don't care about anything and are bored with life. See what I mean? Look at this lizard. He just doesn't give a damn.

http://diamond-back.com/photos/gallery/images/green_anole.jpg

Wikipedia says the brown anole is compatible with the green one as Pyro said, also said compatible with long tailed lizards, fire bellied toads, and small geckos. I don't you they didn't care!

I dont think its a problem. Know your lizards sex. Two males will fight in a confined area, females with males will co-exist. Your space should not have more than 3, 4 at most, and of those only one should be male.

I found my brown at a pet shop. Most anoles are wild collected. Browns turn up from time to time. Not common but it happens.

Brown is actually an invasive, and out competes the native green in areas where it is well established. Greens are seen both on the ground and trees where browns are not found in the wild, but brown pushes them off the gound in areas where established. Its sad. Both do fine in a terarium togeaher BTW.

I'd only want 3 total in my terarrium (one boy 2 girls) cos it's only a 56 gallon cube. I emailed one seller of green anoles online but he only has adults. I would definatey wanna get them no bigger than this one cos lots of sites say adults will eat hatchlings. Perhps I will wait til it's sexable and then check for mates. Wonder if there would be any consequences of introducing a new one in a year or so - fighting, etc.?

Yeah, catching one of these guys outside would be hillarious to watch! I wonder how they catch them for the pet trade? I was able to trick mine into a clear container, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to pull that off again.

If they are such easy breeders as the books/websites say, why aren't anoles all captive bred these days? Is the demand for "cheap reptiles" that high?

catching lizards with only my hands-never anything else-is a great hobby of mine!

i love the challenge, the fun, and the lizards! of course, i let them go afterwards though...

usually i check the sex/size/condition to monitor the area for signs of trouble.

If you'd like to send me to Florida, im all yours! i'll catch you pleanty! :D

He he! Don't pack your bags just yet! Gota get myself to florida first... someday! :)

Back