What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shark attack

• Thread starter Lauderdale
  • Start date
We had a shark attack here in Lauderdale Memorial day. The guy was wading in three-foot deep water when a small spinner shark bit him on the arm. He punched it a few times and it let go. He ended up with sixteen stitches.
This is why we had our latest shark attack. As you will see in the pics I have attached…people do dumb things.

The dark spot just offshore is a school of anchovy size baitfish. We call them pilchards. They come in close to shore this time of year to escape the critters that eat them.
baitsized.jpg

Two very large, about two-hundred yards long, schools on the outside of the sand bar and a smaller school on the inside. Note the two complete dummies wading around in the middle of them. It is especially interesting when people wiggle their fingers in the water with lots of shiny jewelry on them. A silver sequined bathing suit works well also.
baitasized.jpg

The big black spot is why it is not a great idea to swim with the bait fish...a large hungry critter cruising just offshore looking for something to eat.
Personally, I really like our large heated pool.
baitdsized.jpg

Come on down...the waters fine.

dang it dont show me this stuff..............ill be down there somewhere at the beach on Saturday.......havent been informed where at exactly though

I gotta say I'm guilty of swimming after schools of baitfish on the beach. :p

Must of been pretty scary to get attacked. Reminds me of a story that was in the news paper a while back in the keys.

Some guy was spear fishing and had just speared a big one. As he was swimming to the surface, he felt a strong tug on one of his flippers. He looked back and there was a big hammer head latched on to his flipper. I can't remember how the rest of it went but I think he ditched the fish he had speared and the hammer head let him go and went after his catch.

:-( I hope this doesn't give sharks another bad image because that was absolutely those two peoples fault.

well, it will!

people think they it is the sharks fault, never theres.

We know whats best, and the "bad" animals are just out to hurt us! duh!

yeah seriously, some people are so blindsighted

Hey Rattler,
Don't worry about the sharks here. They are all pretty small close to shore...well most are small.
If you are going to be in the area, give me a call. PM me and I will give you my phone number. We could have a couple of cold ones and swap some lies.

people think they it is the sharks fault, never theres.

ARG! English 101: Never THEIR'S

There = location
Their = possessive
They're = They are

If I'm not mistaken--the correct spelling should be "never theirs." --no apostrophe.

(Either way, I understood what you meant.)

Hey Rattler,
Don't worry about the sharks here. They are all pretty small close to shore...well most are small.
If you are going to be in the area, give me a call. PM me and I will give you my phone number. We could have a couple of cold ones and swap some lies.

going to Orlando actually but my wife and sister in law want to go to the beach aswell so when we land tomorrow(im sitting in a hotel in Minneapolis at the moment, flight to Orlando supposed to leave at 10:30am) we are going from the airport straight to a beach...or so im told........still havent been told which one ??? going to be in Orlando for a week.......

If you have the opportunity, also go down to Sebring and see Highlands Hammock State Park - http://www.floridastateparks.org/highlandshammock/default.cfm. It's less than 2 hours south of Orlando and was definitely a highlight of my trip to FL in June, even though it was so dry that the swamp trail was dry.

edit - back to the topic . . . those are cool photos and I'm glad I've never seen photos of what was probably nearby when I was swimming in FL as a kid. I used to love swimming among the fish. Like a lot of things that were cool then, it seems so stupid now. I'm not sure which perspective is better, but the current one seems safer.

hehe

sorry about that!

I believe the people who do such things as swim in bait fish schools or even near them often experience a principal that a man name Darwin came up with. It usually refered to as natural selection or often survival of the fittest.

Seriously though I dont feel bad for people who get attacked by sharks when they are swiming in schools of bait fish. If you arnt smart enough to stay out of the water when there are sharks and bait fish around then you deserve what you get.

I wonder how many more people are killed or maimed on the road to & from the beach than by sharks once they get there. I don't have any data to back it up, but I think time spent in traffic is more dangerous than time spent swimming with baitfish.

Oh, come on guys. Theres worse things you can do than swim with the baitfish.

Heres an example that was all over the news awhile back: http://youtube.com/watch?v=o6Yuh2RLBHo

Good thing he didn't slip his tongue in.. ;)

Back