What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has this every happened to anybody else?

• Thread starter ktulu
  • Start date
So I am sitting in my apartment making a very important phone call when I hear a knock at the door. Seeing as it is sunday I couldnt think of anyone that would be knocking at my door that would be important so I just ignored it and continued with my phone call. I hear a second time of knocking and dont think too much of it until it is quickly followed by someone turning the door handle and pushing on the door(though it was locked so they couldnt get in). I thought oh maybe its the maintenance guys and they need to check something in my apartment. So I go over still on the phone and open the door and its Jehovah witnesses and they just launch into this speach while I am still on the phone. Them knocking on my door doesnt bother me at all but they tried to just walk into my apartment. Who does that? is this kind of action like procedure for Jehovah witnesses because I found that extermely rude and very pushy. I still cant believe they tried to just walk into my apartment when I didnt answer the door. I am glad I had it locked but still its the point you dont just try to walk into someone's apartment when they dont answer the door.

What did you say to them when you opened the door? I would've gave them a piece of my mind.

xvart.

Are you sure they're JWs? I suppose that could be a cover in the event that somebody catches them trying to break in somewhere. Either way, you could just invite them in and feed them to some nepenthes.

Perhaps reporting this to the apt mgr would be good?

They are pushy!I never open the door for them!They will open someones door one day and get a bullet if they are not careful.

Jerry

Wow, I can't believe that. We had to get a "private property no solicitors" sign to make them go away.

Man I was trying to get a pair of them to come to my door! They visited everybody else but me. Fially, a duo came by and I whipped out my, "Kingdom Of The Cults" book and said, "Hold on.... J.W's... that's page..." They were a bit edgy after that. They were a bit rigid about KJV, but hey, I can translate middle english into our language.

I don't mind them, but I've never caught any breaking & entering. They used to visit my house-bound grandfather during his last years and he appreciated the company and, because of that, I go out of my way to be nice to any that stop by here. I try to be the same with any Mormons who stop by too. They mean well, whether or not I agree with them.

I didnt say much I just opened the door while still on the phone and said this call is important and the shut the door and locked it.

Had I not been on the phone I probaly would have gone off on them as well as answer the door with my Eskrima stick in hand. I was too distracted by my phone call to do much other than shut the door in their faces.

I nor anyone in the area i live in has ever had Jehovah witnesses come-a-knocking.

I don't mind them, but I've never caught any breaking & entering. They used to visit my house-bound grandfather during his last years and he appreciated the company and, because of that, I go out of my way to be nice to any that stop by here. I try to be the same with any Mormons who stop by too. They mean well, whether or not I agree with them.

I dunno. I don't take kindly to people showing up wanting to read the bible to me, asking me if I've ever been divorced, then asking if my parent's have ever been divorced when I tell them I'm just 17. Think of the precious time they could be devoting to real causes like hunger and poverty, but instead they want to read to me and try and convince me divorce is wrong and my mother should have stayed with her former crack-head husband.

BUT I'm a sucker. I see an old lady out the door and just HAVE to open it because you never know if she's in trouble. That's when her accomplice steps out from the side where I can't see them and then they ambush! Luckily a preacher lives next door and I send them to him :) That's payback for his loud religious music.

Thats pretty insane that they would try opening the door. You should of reported them to the police.

If they come back, quickly draw a pentagram on the floor and light a circle of candles around it, then strip naked and tell them to come in.

I gaurantee they'll never return.

Or maybe they'll return with the rest of the congregation for an emergency intervention.

I have a book on ritual cannibalism around here somewhere I think so I might just have to keep it by the door from now on and start saying things to them like "Did you know that the cannibals of Papua New Guinia claim that humans taste like pork and man I havent had a good pork chop in months" see how they react to that one. Otherwise I was thinking of getting a copy of the Qu'ran and seeing how well I can be at converting them to Islam. LOL.

Actully too if they come back and try it again I think I will just call the cops and give them something to do this town has like no crime its time for the cops to do something other than pull over college students.

I get Jehovah Witnesses every week at my house. I don't open the door and let them be. They always come around noon and lately it has been hot here, so they like to stay in the shade under my sycamore tree in my front yard!:glare:

I know several Jehovas' Witnesses, and while I don't share their beliefs, they're usually fairly upstanding folks. I find it very suspicious that these people tried to let themselves in - that's very, very inappropriate behavior, especially when you're soliciting like that. I would do as JRF says and report them to the police.
~Joe

Yep, what Joel and JRF said, you damn well should report that kind of behaviour.

As for the whole door-to-door proselytizing thing, it should be outlawed for everything, EVERYTHING- religious types, gas companies, vacuum salesmen.

The only folks I think should have the right to even knock on your door for a "cause" are kids doing school fundraising and politicians- I was MOST impressed in our last municipal election to see a few of the ward councillors come to my house- one who I would NOT vote for and told him as much politely, and one whom I did vote for (he lost) who actually came in for a while and had some tea and discussed a great many things with my wife and I.

I don't like anyone I don't recognize on my property, unless they have some sort of official ID such as a fireman doing a mandatory inspection or a cop or the water meter reader (tho in the first two cases, rolling up in a firetruck or a cop car and carrying guns and stuff pretty much tells you this is the real thing)

And I'm sure it's been posted here before- if you put up a "blood donor" sticker on your door, you will be "unsalvageable" to the "witnesses" and they'll leave you alone- I took the fun route to dispell them, I wasted SO much of their time and got them into SO many indefensible positions that I'm pretty sure my house has a little red "X" on the JW global HQ map :D

Earlier this summer I heard knocking on my front door. I was busy and couldn't get to the door. A few minutes later I was walking from my kitchen through my dining room when something caught my eye and when I focused, I was looking at a man peering through the French doors on my porch! Scared the crap outta me!! I ducked back and hid...and then ran upstairs to see if I could see who it was. Then I saw a couple, "church dressed", slowly walking up the street, turning onto a neighbor's sidewalk. Appeared to be some man and woman who were out proselytizing. I was livid! Its one thing to knock on my door which I can't stop unless I post my property, but that man had no business what-so-ever leaving my door and peering into my house like that. That's called a Peeping Tom in MY book. My first thought was that he was someone casing my house to break in! (I heard him say something like "Doesn't look like anyone lives here."). I almost called the cops. Then when I saw them up the street I realized what they were probably doing. I still wish I'd called the cops just so they could be told its not proper (or legal!) to peer into someone window like that. Supposed I had been nekkid?? (Now THAT woulda taught them a lesson...lol).

I don't like solicitors of any type coming to my door. I rarely answer the door as all my friends know to come to my back door. But I reeeeaaaally don't like someone peering into my house through my French doors. It really scared me.

I have had experiences where they come up while I'm working in the yard and not stop their speech when I say I'm not interested. And I have had them look in the windows when I don't answer... (Same folks that had approached me before) So one day, the main door was open but the security door was shut, they rang the door bell and the dogs went nuts... So I joined them, as in on the ground barking with the dogs. This went on prolly for a min and a half with them looking at me, then each other, then saying something, then back to me... Finally I stood up and said "huh? What'd you say?? When they starting talking church I barked again, gave them a stare and said not interested PLEASE don't come back. And they have not. I don't like being rude, but sometimes that is what it takes. It did take that in this instance, and has worked. Now I just get an occasional book by the door when I come home from work :)
Andrew

The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that they were likely just trying to leave one of their flyers in the door. When I opened the door the guy had the flyer in his hand folded in half held about 6" from where the door would open. This does not excuse his behavior but Ben I believe his name was probably meant no harm. If I talk to them I always just tell them I have a church that I am very happy with and they seem to accept this and move on. I dont tell them I follow the teachings of Agnost, the god of wonder if there is a god. But they dont need to know that.

Lol, I love stories of people harassing JW. Wouldn't it be wild if "Ben" the JW was actually a CP fan and a member here? Maybe then he could offer an explanation!

xvart.

Back