What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cicada maddness

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
So, had some interesting cicada encounters recently and thought I'd share.

First ones, found this Labor Day night while walking the dogs

P9030010.jpg

P9030011.jpg

P9030013crop.jpg

Then, while doing yard work yesterday I heard one calling in the bush next to me. Went to catch it and heard a second, low droneing buzz. Found this:

P9090001.jpg

P9090004.jpg

The hornet decided he did not like being caught on film so he dropped the cicada. to get an idea of size:

P9090006.jpg

P9090007.jpg

Couple hours later I saw this interaction:

P9090008.jpg

P9090010.jpg

P9090011.jpg

And a solo of the mantid

P9090014.jpg

Superb, Pyro!

Is that a Carolina Mantis?

Yep...the cicadas here are deafening at times. (If you ever get one in your house, it'll split your eardrums). I am starting to find dead ones though.

I also found a mantid in my house a few days ago. He was still around the next day so I helped him outside and then took photos. Unfortunately didn't get any reeeally good ones. He was cool though...would clean his antennae and waggle his mouth.

Will try to post pics at some point.

You know, it's strange, I hear cicada's all the time, but i don't think I've ever seen one until now. As for mantids, I saw one in the wild for the first time last month while working at my nursery job... Great close up's though! despite the fact that I grow CP's I still freak out if a bug is too close to me...

i also have never seen a cicada. i grew up thinking that noise was the power lines. kinda weird.

i thought they all died. there were like a million of them here in illinois in july and now they're all gone.

Beautiful shots man! Love the mantid, of course!

My kittens caught a cicaida a few weeks ago, I mysef have never seen one in person only in books and on TV. They brought it in the house and had the best time with it, they'd dance around it, it would buzz and click eventually though they swatted it too may times. I think one of them ended up eating it. :puke2:

on nice summer days i just go out around the neighborhood and catch them. caught 13 on one day!

the wasp is called a Cicada Killer. they are NASTY!!! they have like a quarter inch long stinger and they always....stalk me....

Alex

Thanks for ther ID on the wasp, was just having a conversation with someone else and neither of us knew what it was.

These cicadas are commonly called Dog Day Cicadas because they tend to emerge during the dog days of summer. Not the first I have seen but the freshly emerged one was a new thing for me. Wish I had been walking the dogs a few minutes earlier as I would have loved to see the whole shedding.

Not 100% on the mantid either. I believe it was a male Carolina but it may have been something else...

Back