What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freezing Outdoors - HELP!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Tonight for about 3 hours it will hit 32F. Do I need to bring my plants inside? Certainly not the temperates, correct? But what about the following...

D. dichotoma 'giant'
Mexican Pings
D. adelae
D. graminifolia
D. ordensis
D. Dee
D. capensis

Thanks!

~Sam

I would bring them in just to be on the safe side.

i would've brought them in beofre it dropped below 45, but yes, i'd take them in!

D.capensis won't mind, but the others might. Certainly the adelae will not be happy.

I brought the D. ordensis, D. dichotoma 'giant', and D. adelae inside. The others will have to tough it up! D. capensis should be fine, D. graminifolia is native to the USA and the Pings, well, I had them outside in similar weather when Winter was going into Spring so they should be fine.

Drosera gramanifolia is South American and tropical, leave it out at your own risk. Zone 10 plant.

Really? Well I guess you learn something new every day... I heard it was from the Southeast USA! Wow. Oh well, it's held up at around these temps in the past, it'll only be a bit colder.

It makes a little sense to do some research on the species in your collection. Especially a widespread genus like Drosera that can be found on six continents from the equator through to the edge of sub-arctic areas.

What the heck is Drosera Dee?

have you tried the search feature?

Yes and a few plant databases and the ICPS cultivar registry - no "Drosera Dee" any where that I can find.

Yes and a few plant databases and the ICPS cultivar registry - no "Drosera Dee" any where that I can find.

Drosera "Dee" Is a joke since I kept putting up so many D. something, and usually like D. dichotoma and since I was reading it aloud I thought it was getting annoying, jeesh, you take things WAY to literally! :(

I received the plant for free from my boss recently so I just put it in my bog tray.???

The use of species names shouldn't be taken lightly. That's why there are messages like these:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106333
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107548

Your Drosera Dee could have been Drosera derbyensis, Drosera dichrosepala subsp. dichrosepala, Drosera dichrosepala subsp. enodes, Drosera dielsiana, Drosera dilatatopetiolaris or their hybrids.

If we can't properly identify the plant in question, how do you expect us to help you with advice?

oh lighten up:-D

Back