Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hummingbird feeder

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    ... but how would you know? Especially if a weaker h-bird got a systemic mold infection from your feeder? With a large population of humingbirds in the area, I doubt that you'd notice:
    - a reduction in the overall population (unless you managed to have botulism in the feeder)
    - a weak bird fall down & die 200 yds from your place in the brush

It's unlikely that any damaged birds would do you the favor of croaking at your feeder for you to witness. So, the absence of having witnessed bad things happening isn't necessarily proof that it really hasn't occurred ....

Mostly because I pay attention. I see the same birds come back to the feeder day after day, week after week, year after year. There are 6 nests in the trees around my place that I can see from my front porch. I see the same birds go to the same nests and return to the feeder all the time.
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sugar water (1 cup sugar, 4 cups water) gets changed every 3-4 days. No longer. They love it. It is said that the birds can smell bad water and won't mess with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12