What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Florida critters

musta saw a thousand of these guys...only saw one green one but didnt have a camera with me....though he blended in so well i was lucky to see him so i very well could have overlooked more of them
IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

not sure what these lil guys were
IMG_0076.jpg

these toads have me stumped aswell
IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

this guy was lounging by ta lil lake at the resort.....musta been about 5 foot long..........Ozzy, what in the heck kinda critters do you guys have in the southeast.....the wife refused to let me tackle it....here reasoning being she didnt want to take the time to get me stitched up at a hospital party pooper :censor:
IMG_0033e.jpg

barking tree frog?
IMG_0083.jpg

ugly spider
IMG_0064.jpg

HEY we got these in Montana
IMG_0061.jpg

big millipede
IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

big arse snail....saw a slug as big as my thumb aswell....no camera on hand though
IMG_0043.jpg

magic mushrooms
IMG_0056.jpg

another anole
IMG_0050.jpg

might post more pics later

Nice pictures. I like the little toad! :)

Nice pics. I see tons of anoles around my place. I've seen a few green ones, but they aren't as numerous. I have no idea what that monitor-looking thing is. I'd venture to say that's not native. And that "ugly spider" is harmless. It looks menacing, but doesn't bite.

they are water moniters. let loose by people who kept them as pets. my aunt has to watch her little Papillon dogs so they dont get attacked by these guys. they also have iguanas that run wild! what part did you go to? my aunt lives in Ft. Meyers/Cape Coral

Alex

OOOH Neat! Great photos! I wonder what the frogs and insects are.

Funny i was reading the list of introduced florida reptiles a few weeks ago because the brown anole thing before got me interested in the introduced lizards in florida
Heres the best link http://myfwc.com/critters/exotics/resultsClass.asp?taxclass=R

That link has on it the Nile Monitor (Varanus niloticus) as a Established introduced species, mostly in... cape coral... with the only confirmed breeding population

http://myfwc.com/critters/exotics/SpeciesNumberResults.asp?SPPNO=291

I think the millipede is Chicobolus spinigerus. You should pick that up...put it in a small jar full of rubbing alcohol, and send it to me :D. I have to collect 50 different inverts for the museum here :/

I think the millipede is Chicobolus spinigerus. You should pick that up...put it in a small jar full of rubbing alcohol, and send it to me :D. I have to collect 50 different inverts for the museum here :/

no clue on the species.....was surprised to stumble on him at about 3 in the afternoon cruising across the leaf litter....always assumed they were nocternal. found out flipping boards and dead trees in Florida only disturbs ant nests and causes an attack.....big dang ants down there aswell....large colonies of 1/2 inch lil buggers. i thought about keeping the milli but between my camera battery dieing after those pics and the critter covering my hand with some sort of red liquid i let it get away. wanted to bring the largest toad home to be the third member of my growing toad collection but about a 1/2 second after the cameras shutter tripped it jumped out of my hand and i lost it in the leaf litter........

all the critters were found right around Kissimmee

Great pics man! That monitor would be awesome to see "just lounging around"!

I especially dig that "ugly spider", damn what a cool one to have in an insect terrarium!

I especially dig that "ugly spider", damn what a cool one to have in an insect terrarium!

im sure someone down around there can pack yah up one and send it to yah.....they were about 1/2-3/4 of an inch long from spike tip to spike tip and in the 400 yard walk i took through the woods i prolly saw a few hundred.....the first one about gave me a heart attack as i was walking looking at my feet watching for snakes and lizards.....looked up at just the right moment to see one sitting dead center in its web 6 inches from my face.......spent the next hour and a half i was in the cypress/pine stand dodging them and their webs.....they were about everywhere where the branches were just a few feet apart. usually at face level :-O

Cool pics. We have the green anoles all over the place here.

I'll try to identify some of your mystery critters. If these have already been id'ed I apologize.

The brown anoles are cuban brown anoles.
Your first frogs are [SIZE=+2][/SIZE]narrowmouth frogs. I have some pics of some on here somewhere.

First toad, I think is an Oak toad.

The second toad is either an American or Southern, I'm guessing Southern.

I also have pics on here of your "Ugly spider"

Cool pics

Fantastic pictures! Well done and thanks for sharing. I hate millipede type creatures.

xvart.

Yeh, it does, but then again a komodo dragon is just a gigantic monitor species.

Perhaps the monitor species can help reduce the chronic cat infestation plauging our nation! Heheh...

Or orchids? Especially the undomesticated kind.

I have to say I'm impressed by someone who returns from FL and posts not a single photo of DW, a beach or an alligator. I used to dread the days after school vacations when I did photo processing years ago.

Yeh, it does, but then again a komodo dragon is just a gigantic monitor species.

I know that, but since he said it was in a pond at the hotel....

when i went to hawaii, the hotel i stayed at had many ponds-each with and island or two. there were either birds, monitors, or other exotic animals on the islands...

just a guess...

And im in agreement with Manny! any cps?

no CP's............looked for wild orchids but didnt find any but my herping was limited both in time and ground covered........total area covered was less than an acre....ive got pics of Coco beach and the parks if yah want to see them....not a whole lot though :grin: was more interested in the critters around the resort.....the parks dang near killed me......6 days of walking on concrete=serious knee pain

the monitor is a komodo dragon...............pic taken at Disney's Animal Kingdom :grin:

Ahhh...you cheater! And yes...the parks can be exhausting. I've heard that there are CP on Disney property. Apparently they have set aside certain areas as wildlife refuges.

Back