What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet cable modem

• Thread starter PlantAKiss
  • Start date
Well, you can always run a long cable from the jack to your computer. I used to live in an apartment with the coax jack in one room and my computer in the other, so I got a long coax cable, plugged it into the wall jack, then tucked the length of the cable under the wall molding and traced the length of the wall all the way to my computer. It was just about as good as having the jack and computer in the same room - the only problem was when I went to move and removed the cable, I pulled on it rather indiscriminately and ended up snagging the cable on a carpet tack and tearing it open. But, replacing a $20 cable was a lot better than paying $100 or more to have someone knock holes in my wall to install a new jack.
A wireless network router is another option - you setup the modem at the coax jack, then the modem plugs into the router. The router broadcasts a signal that can be picked up by wireless network recievers (which is probably built into your computer if you have a Mac that's less than five years old.) Maintaining a wireless network is a little complicated though, so if you don't mind tacking some coax around the house - probably along your ceiling, from what I know about your pet situation - it would probably be easier to just go wired.
One thing I wouldn't recommend doing is having Comcast or someone else come in and install a new jack in your computer room. It's fantastically expensive. It's actually something most people could do for themselves with one of those do-it-yourself home maintenance books, but it's kind of a pain the first time you do it.
~Joe

PS - If you do decide to just use a long cable, it's better to get a long coax cable, as opposed to a long ethernet cable. Ordinary ethernet cables are more prone to electrical interference than coax, so you'll get faster service if the majority of the distance between your computer and your wall jack is bridged by coax. (Or you can buy an expensive shielded ethernet cable, but it's not worth the money if you ask me.) Along the same lines, it's best to use cables that are just as long as you need and not much longer; cables that are coiled over themselves actually interfere with their own signals, due to overlapping of the magenetic field that surrounds the wires when they're carrying electricity. You're paying for that extra speed, so you might as well make use of it.

The problem with Comcast (We have it down here in FL) is you must run a coax cable to your computer. In My apartment, that was not an option. The other problem is Comcast is notoriously unreliable and is out of service for hours every month.
I have had Bellsouth, now AT&T, and it has proved reliable and fast and is about $29 a month. Running a phone wire from the nearest jack is very easy to do. The modem was free and easy to hookup.
I don't care what I use...I want FAST and CHEAP.
Buy a GT Mustang. It will blow off 95% of the cars on the street. :-D

Buy a GT Mustang. It will blow off 95% of the cars on the street.

:-D

Its looking like I will have to pay Comcast to come out and run a cable. My cable is downstairs. But I wanted them to add another outlet anyway.

Doesn't ozzy live somewhere around there? Have him get off his lazy butt and come run the cable for you. Honestly, any guy and some girls should be able to do that... You find the rout to take with the cable from the old cable to the new room, measure it out... Buy a box of cable ends, cable mounts and s cable splitter (and coaxial wall plates if you wish). Cut existing cable, place cable ends on cut cable, install splitter. Install cable end on new cable and screw into splitter. Drill hole as needed to get cable outside. Mount cable neatly using nail style mounts. Drill hole where it needs to come in, install new cable end... Install modem/computer... If you get the install kit... it will have the splitter.

Or- let comcast do it :D

I wouldnt have a problem with this IF I had the cable IN the room I'm using. However, I think I'm gonna milk Comcast and get the guy to do a bunch of stuff while he's there. Its the "drilling holes in my house" that I have a problem with.

Yeah...where is Ozzy when I NEED him?? Dang it. I need all my loose electrical boxes fixed. I might die in a fire and it would be all his fault. :devil:

Back