What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Showing Carnivorous Plants in Plant Shows

pedersonplants

The Obsessive Gardener
Has anyone shown a carnivorous plant in a plant show? How do you protect your plants from people watering with city water versus distilled water. Also, how do you keep curious little fingers away from your plants?

Yes, I have. People do touch plants during a show and you run the risk of watering with tapwater, but it should be harmless over the long run. I try to keep my plants up high so they can't be damaged and I tend to keep an eye on them. I water them constantly with rainwater, so they don't appear to need water.

I suppose that you could put decorative foil over the media so the tapwater would just run off.

I've never shown plants in a show; but I have watered with tap water on occasion when I'm too lazy to go out and get more distilled water. Just be sure to flush the pot well after the show and there should be no problems with the watering it may receive. Curious fingers on the other hand...

xvart.

Generally speaking, tap water is only a problem when used frequently.

I water the greenhouse from the garden hose for six months (growing season) and rain water durring the cooler months. So far, not issues.

As for fingers - try a sign like "Carefull, I bite."

that works on my little sister. I teach her to be scared of my plants. If I take one of my VFTs and make a growling noise, she runs and hides.
try a gruesome photoshopped picture of a bloody finger with words underneath that say "handle at your own risk"

try a gruesome photoshopped picture of a bloody finger with words underneath that say "handle at your own risk"

Ha ha! I just love that!

Now the race is on to see who's gonna wind up with that as an avatar! :)

Back