What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

feed a mouse to one

johnnyfrye

I like drosera.
Has it ever occured to you that you could take a large cultivar of the venus flytrap and feed It a newborn mouse! ( those little pink things) isn't that AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!:-O

Not possible. Even if the biggest cultivars of venus fly traps were mutantly huge and could trap a baby mouse it would never be able to contain it.

I say this myth is busted.

xvart.

not even the little pinkies? ? ?

even if they were small enough mice, the trap would rot quickly.

I agree the pinky would be too big, however a baby frog would small enough, But I don’t like the thought of putting a little frog in one of my plants. (Their too cute:D )

I've fed anoles to my neps, but unfortunately, VFT traps don't get big enough for most vertebrates :'(

an interesting idea, and worth a try, but neps still hold the claim to fame for being vertebrate eaters.

I wonder why so many people think carnivorous plant growers are weird.

I think it's possible. My rat had babies once, and they are about two thirds of an inch long. And i've read some cultivars can be up to two inches long.
:nana:

The weight of the mouse would probably bend the trap so much that it would die.

-Ben

I've never seen a VFT with a trap 2 inches long nor have I heard of someone finding one in the wild or posting a photo of of one. What cultivars are you reading on with this "attainable size"?

the B52 clone can reach trap sizes of over 2 inches.

What cultivars are you reading on with this "attainable size"?

The ones that come in contact with some TGRI mutagen ooze... duh.

ooze.jpg

xvart.

Last edited:
The ones that come in contact with some TGRI mutagen ooze... duh.

:-)) Andrew, you need to activate the post rating system so I can mod that up.

More on topic: If we assume all optimal conditions, what's the best that can happen?

Let's say we're dealing with a trap that can close around the pinkie and that the trap wont be crushed or otherwise immediately damaged by the presence of the prey. What's the mechanism that you're proposing take place to facilitate the digestion of the pinkey?
Pinkies, and I believe our resident herp folks will agree, are pretty high in fat content. In the past, every time I've seen someone feed something fatty to a VFT, the trap ends up rotten (or just opens back up again.)

While I think it's highly unlikely that even under optimal conditions anything positive would come out of it, some of you may be consoled by the fact that there have been recordings from prominent members in the CP community of VFTs catching and eating vertebrates. One of my favorite examples is when one of Bob Z's VFTs caught and successfully consumed a treefrog, leaving only a skeleton. It's on these forums, feel free to search for it.

Well, it's got to be fast enough to close fast enough (damn I feel redundant tonight) to catch something like a pinkie (even though pinkies are slow...)

With great size you sacrifice speed, much like a sumo wrestler on barbiturates. Or so the old Japanese proverbs say.......

the B52 clone can reach trap sizes of over 2 inches.
Exactly. And guys I'm not sying he would digest it, I'm just saying that A PLANT COULD KILL A MOUSE. That just proves they're evil sadistic KILLERS!!!!!:rookwoot:

Okay, there may be traps long enough; but what about breadth? A 2 inch trap would not be able to wrap completely around a pinkie and even if it was it would not be able hold it there long enough for it to be "murdered."

xvart.

Of course a plant could kill a mouse. Mice/rats have been caught by Nepenthes before.

You're calling CP's "evil" and "sadistic" and that's really over anthropomorphizing them. They can not think so they can not be evil, and they do not take pleasure in the death/suffering of their prey (remember, they can't think!) so they are not sadistic. Besides, evil is a subjective term and can only be applied to human beings.

If evil can only be applied to human beings then are you calling Satan a human? (Sorry to go off topic!!!!)

I've found a baby lizard skeleton in a dying trap before so I wouldn't say vertebrates are completely off the menu for VFTs. :devil:

Back