What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Fungi from Yuggoth or... what IS this?

Something new has appeared in my terrarium. When I returned home this afternoon I find this growing on the glass-I haven't tried wiping at it, it's just weird-mabe a lichen or something?

Overall this thing is about 2-3" high and 1 1/2-2" wide
fungoid1.jpg

Looks like some kinda undersea fan!

fungoid2.jpg

is this a weird slime mold? Any ideas?

i dont know what it is but thats pretty cool.......why cant i find cool stuff like that in my tanks?

Whatever it is it's larger than it was a few hours ago when I posted the pics above! I left for Target to get some groceries and now it's bigger with two of the fan growths...

The Fungi from Yuggoth

You better watch out for those tentacles, man! Hope you make it out alive... But then, knowing Lovecraft, it may be nicer to say I hope you die quickly. ;)

If I had to make a guess, I'd say it's a slime mould. Still just a guess though.

if its growing that fast ill put money on slime mold.....not 100% sure but its my guess........

You better kill it before it gets YOU! :0o: :alien: lol

Jerry

It's prettty neat to watch since it seems to change hourly. Will be neat to see it in the morning, or if it even is still there in the morning cos it wasn't there before lights out on the tank last night.

That is pretty! You should do a time lapse video of it so we can all watch it grow hourly!

xvart.

Well there is moss and lichen in oregon everywhere that is what it looks like. There is a long local here who said there is a type of moss that will grow in the cracks of your truck the proceed to grow and spread in the cracks. Apon removal paint and some metal will come off with the moss or lichen (whatever it is) So he said don't park under lichen or mossy trees. Touch it does it have a firm structure ? If it is it is tree lichen I am almost dead sure.
I bet it is moss or lichen !

looks like some kind of mycelium. to what?, i don't know/

its not moss or lichen......growing WAAAAAAY to fast to be either......its either a slime mold or as someone said the mycelium of a fungus......

Slime mold. It's pretty! It does look like a gorgonian!

Now it's a gonian, one day in, one day out!
Had I been working yesterday I'd have missed it now there's just a yellowish stain on the glass where it was. By the time the lights went out last night it had retracted all those root looking things going sideways in the pic and the fan had turned and started upwards weird how it was able to change by the hour! I shoulda taken pics each hour. Definatley the weirdest things I've seen in a while!

just a yellowish stain on the glass where it was.

there is a condition known as overlay where white mycelium turns yellow and rots away. This is usually induced by too much humidity. Would've been cool if it had produced a mushroom

Back