What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AHHHHH! LOCUST GRASSHOPPER THINGS!!!!

obregon562

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating.
Supporter
Hi all...

i walked into my greenhouse this morning to find my prized S. alata w/ 3ft. tall pitchers total infected with little baby locust brasshopper things! every pitcher got munched some what-and i think they might be spreading! i caught as many as i could in a plastic bag and started steping on them and shking them around...but alas i only got ~50%...

Anybody have any ideas on hopw to get rid of them? i was gonna chop of all my sarracenia pitchers anyway (try some expierements with ash), but now im gonna do it just to avoid hoppers!

Any other ideas? please!?!? :hail:

i do believe the insecticide made with chrysanthamum flowers is harmless to Neps and such.......cant remember if i tried it on Drosera or Utrics though........

Pyrethrin. Should be ok for most CPs. This is a "contact" insecticide and will knock down the pests in short order. As with all sprays use with caution on Drosera.

A few geckos would clean up the pests.

hmmm...pyrethrin?

know were i could get some? :D

i think they've all gone "away"... i've killed many with my bare hands! cut a few in hlaf with my pruning scissors...

thanks for the advice-i'll check those things out...damn bugs got a couple more sarra's...errgh!

i think they've all gone "away"... i've killed many with my bare hands! cut a few in hlaf with my pruning scissors...
eh....ha

its just about time for dormancy anyways...let em munch away.
Alex

i dont want to let them "munch away"!

no free lunches!

Orthonex from Orthene - systemic, works great for scale and aphids, and I've never had a problem with it harming the plants.

I use the schultz Pyrethrin stuff on my Nepenthes and no problems at all, but I read in Barry Rice's Growing Carnivorous Plants that it can harm the flower stalks or something. Usually sarrs aren't flowering this time of year though so that might not be a problem.

get some chinese mantis adults... they love g. hoppers!...plus if they fall in its more food for the plant...win win situation for you!

locust brasshopper things...started steping on them...shking them...on hopw to get rid of them...some expierements

Spending a second glancing over what you've typed doesn't hurt and no one wins any prizes for speed typing here. It makes it easier for people to read and understand your posts if you reduce the number of typos.

Schloaty's suggestion was good. Maybe Sevin Dust?

oh my god!

i knew i was bad...but...

sorry about that...

brasshopper! god...sorry.

Thanks for the suggestions!

lol "My little brasshopper!"

:D

Back