What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant Career Choices?

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
Hi all,

I've been looking around for what I should major in during college. I have tried engineering and it's not all I had hoped for. So now, I ask you, what are some interesting careers that are plant related? It seems I would enjoy this much more than engineering. What did you guys major in and what are your jobs now? Thanks much

Biology with Specialization in Ecology and Environmental Biology

My original plan was to major in marine biology, but then I got sidetracked... I earned a B.A. in American Sign Language / English Interpretation with a minor in Educational Interpreting...

There is a critical shortage of sign language interpreters across the country; you'd have PLENTY of work. I'm currently working full-time as an interpreter in a video relay center, which means I interpret phone calls between people who are Deaf or hard-of-hearing and people who are hearing. I've previously worked full-time as an interpreter in school (middle and high school), a university (interpreting for Deaf students ranging from core classes to Ph.D. level classes), conferences (state, local, national, and international), concerts and plays, doctor's appointments and surgeries, legal proceedings and trials, mental health situations (competency hearings, addiction recovery meetings, therapy sessions, etc.), and other events (I was one of the interpreters for the grand opening of a new national park site commemorating the Little Rock 9 and the integration of Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas). I've interpreted for public presentations of celebrities.

I've been interpreting for 12 years and I LOVE it.

As far as things that are plant related, obviously botany and biology. There's horticulture, agriculture, landscaping design, etc. I think it just depends on what you want to do.

My original plan was to major in marine biology, but then I got sidetracked... I earned a B.A. in American Sign Language / English Interpretation with a minor in Educational Interpreting...

Awesome! I'm jealous! I studied sign language for 2 years (on the side, not full time). I love ASL. I think its the most beautiful language! I wanted to be an interpreter but I was too intimidated to push out into the deaf community which is how you reeally learn ASL the best. (Nothing more humbling than being a hearing person in a roomful of deaf people. lol) I gave it up when it got to Sign to Speech. I still remember a fair amount but I'm slow with it. I know enough that I could communicate with a deaf person if needed. Recently I found a thing online that fingerspells words and you can practice reading.

I would LOVE to have your job! I wanted to be a medical interpreter. They are needed in hospitals.

OH...I majored in Fine Art and I'm a graphic artist. My father was a printer so my art skills worked well with my graphic knowledge. I love what I do although I can think of a million other things I wish I had gone into. Interpreting being one! :)

Last edited:
Not to hijack the topic, but...

Cool! You should pursue ASL more if you have time. ASL is a neat language with the visual / gestural modality being so different from an auditory / oral modality that most languages have. Interpreting isn't as easy as it looks either since signs don't represent words but concepts, and the interpreter is ALWAYS behind the speaker due to the time needed to process the information and restructure the grammar of the source language to the grammar of the target language and to make cultural adjustments to the message if necessary.

I've done A LOT of medical interpreting... sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's not... you've got to be able to take a lot... nothing fun about interpreting for someone who's suffering from a gunshot wound or who's been in a serious car accident...

There are interpreters needed EVERYWHERE!

Graphic artist, huh? Cool! You should design me a logo! Just teasing. ;-)

Oops...hijack: ASL is a difficult language. Interpreting isn't easy at all and I have great respect for those that can do it. Its an amazing skill. A friend of mine used to interpret but kinda got out of it. I thought it was a shame because he was very good at it. I would have loved to have had his knowledge and skill. I don't think I could ever be a platform interpreter but perhaps in more intimate situations. I briefly worked at a printing company and I hated it there. Only person who was nice to me was a deaf printer who was thrilled I signed to him when I was introduced. He would come say hi to me. :) I never had any deaf person to practice with. :(

Sorry...its a subject I'm passionate about. Not many people share my interest in the language and community.

Back