What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Martial arts

This includes MMA, pankrachea (spellled right?) the french style that is translated as old shoe (dunno the word...sorry), kung fu, judo, karate, tkd, etc. You're experience, why you chose to study that art how long (rank if there is any), or just your knowlege on the arts themselves!

taekwondo, my parents are both blackbelts and teach the sport. Mum's a 4th degree, and my father is... higher. I dont remember exactly.

I took classes when i was younger and got several belts, but i lost interest around... 9ish? Perhaps younger, even. Afraid i dont have much knowledge of the sport- i blame familiarity of it. It was familiar, and thus ordinary for me when i was young… so I got bored. They are great teachers, but, I had more fun romping through the woods on my own time than training with them.

taekwondo, my parents are both blackbelts and teach the sport. Mum's a 4th degree, and my father is... higher. I dont remember exactly.

I took classes when i was younger and got several belts, but i lost interest around... 9ish? Perhaps younger, even. Afraid i dont have much knowledge of the sport- i blame familiarity of it. It was familiar, and thus ordinary for me when i was young… so I got bored. They are great teachers, but, I had more fun romping through the woods on my own time than training with them.

Aw man i'd rather be in a school anytime!! Course im a mantid nerd as well! :D

Ive taken Brazilian Jiu-jitsu for about 10 years, I have a black belt, but have recently had to take a break, The new baby arrived and i no longer have alot of time for it.

WHen I was younger I took Kuk Sool for a number of years. Then I quit because I realized that most of those ancient style martial arts, i.e. kung fu, karate, kuk sool, etc, aren't that useful at all (especially in the MMA world). When they teach you, it seems like for most of those moves to actually work, your attacker would have to be running around with legs spread yelling "kick my in the crotch", and moving abotu 5x slower than a normal person. Also, some of those flying kicks and whatnot are designed for what? Kicking people off horses....useless these days. Also, seeing 8 year old kids beat high degree black belts in kung fu, karate, tae kwon do, and pretty much everything else you can think of with BJJ really does some damage to those arts's reputations. I'm not saying they're not cool or useless to study, but if some hooligan comes at you with a gun, some crazy flying judo chop is going to get you killed, especially when you could bust out some righteous krav maga or muay thai and leave the attacker broken and bloody. I took BJJ for a while and picked up some Muay Thai from a room mate that had taken it for a while. BJJ + MT = unfreakingdefeatable. Had to quit BJJ because it was insanely expensive, unfortunately.

WHen I was younger I took Kuk Sool for a number of years. Then I quit because I realized that most of those ancient style martial arts, i.e. kung fu, karate, kuk sool, etc, aren't that useful at all (especially in the MMA world). When they teach you, it seems like for most of those moves to actually work, your attacker would have to be running around with legs spread yelling "kick my in the crotch", and moving abotu 5x slower than a normal person. Also, some of those flying kicks and whatnot are designed for what? Kicking people off horses....useless these days. Also, seeing 8 year old kids beat high degree black belts in kung fu, karate, tae kwon do, and pretty much everything else you can think of with BJJ really does some damage to those arts's reputations. I'm not saying they're not cool or useless to study, but if some hooligan comes at you with a gun, some crazy flying judo chop is going to get you killed, especially when you could bust out some righteous krav maga or muay thai and leave the attacker broken and bloody. I took BJJ for a while and picked up some Muay Thai from a room mate that had taken it for a while. BJJ + MT = unfreakingdefeatable. Had to quit BJJ because it was insanely expensive, unfortunately.

The original practitioners of those ancient martial arts would agree with you wholeheartedly. Today's incarnations of them are almost always a joke. Broken and bloody is exactly the result you get with the few people who've managed to keep the ancient torches lit.

the issue with most of the martial arts is they have no game plan once you hit the ground and have to grapple with an attacker........they assume you will be on your feet with the attacker.....which is how it goes for the first lil bit of the fight.....look for maritial arts that teach yah what do do if yah hit the ground if your serious about learning to fight.........seem to remember a MMA's guy talking about how he hated fighting anyone with a strong Judo background cause he knew the fight was going to be on the ground and not on his feet........

Anyone who thinks they are undefeatable… must not understand the concept. Unless you’re a proven world champ, your defeatable by somebody.

Anyone who thinks they are undefeatable… must not understand the concept. Unless you’re a proven world champ, your defeatable by somebody.

you can say that again....if you havent found someone whose arse you cant kick you havent looked hard enough :grin: there is ALWAYS going to be some one just a lil bit stronger or a lil bit faster than you are..........

Heh. Some martial art combinations and arts are better than others… but everyone will say that their combinations are the better ones. That makes sense. If they didn’t think it wasn’t the best way to go, they wouldn’t have done it in the first place. Its usually a matter of opinion.

What martial art is Jason Bourne using in the Bourne Trilogy? It seems like an interesting style.

also different styles are better for different body types.....someone who is 120 and 5 foot bare footed prolly looks at tactics differently than someone who is 6'5" and 250 solid muscle and changes their fighting style and training accordingly........

few things tought to me by an ol' street fighter......most ppl who arent hardened fighters cant take a solid hit to the jaw......keep hitting who ever is after you till they hit the ground......and most importantly, someone who cant breath cant fight.......

Muay Thai is one of, if not the best thing to use when on your feet in MMA or a street fight. BJJ is undisputably the best when you're on the ground, hands down (not great for a street fight though). If you think otherwise, watch UFC.

Ever heard of the Gracie family? I rest my case.

(Either Royce or Rorion Gracie (can't remember which) was invited to a championship some insanely rich sheikh had in (IIRC) Saudi Arabia or Dubai. The sheikh payed scouts to go to pretty much every country and seek out the toughest and best fighters. After the tournament, whichever Gracie it was had won, therefore, making him the toughest/best fighter on the planet (at least at the time). AFAIK, another tournament like this hasn't been organized since, which means he still holds the title)
Of course, that was back in the day when the Gracies had just barely invented BJJ and no one knew what it was or how to deal with it. Now, if you wanna fight UFC, you have to know BJJ or some sort of grappling, or else you more than likely won't make it past your first fight unless you get a lucky shot in that KOs the guy immediately.

ppl get slow as they age...........someone will pop up that can beat them......tis the way things work.....failure to understand that concept is simple stupidity

Uhhh obviously. My point is that if two equally matched fighters fought, and one knew MT + BJJ, and the other knew i dunno...tae kwon do and kung fu, the first guy would win. As I said in the first post, BJJ triumphs even over gross mismatches. I've seen 120 lbs BJJ guys take out 280lb boxers in seconds, etc, etc, etc. There are about 10 different martial arts studios in Lubbock...the BJJ teacher has routinely beaten the teachers of all the other disciplines. I could go on and on. Obviously, guys who are solely BJJ get beaten (especially these days), but that combo is pretty unstoppable unless you're up against someone who knows the same.

"I'm Royce Gracie... Some people never learn." In response to Ken Shamrock's prediction of defeating the legend of the Gracie family at UFC 3

boxers aint fighters....they are boxers.......seen a dang good boxer get his rear handed to him by a street fighter with zero formal training

Boxers (and especially kickboxers) are fighters. One of the reasons why when people go to watch boxing, they say, "I'm going to watch the fight" ;). If you saw a boxer get beat by someone with 0 training that didn't cheat (no board in the head while he was turned around or something), then that "boxer" was either 1) the stupidest boxer on the planet 2) the worst boxer on the planet. Also, see my first post. There's a whole hour or two long video that was put out (either by the Gracies or some BJJ assc.) that shows those little kids dominating.

a boxer and a kick boxer are two COMPLETELY different fighting styles, not even in the same league....boxing only works if there are rules and both play by them...........i said the street fighter had zero formal training....had been in more than enough brawls to know how to fight....a boxer knows how to box, not how to fight......a kick boxer stands a chance in a real fight..

Boxers can duck and weave, and hit insanely hard...what more do you need when you're on your feet? Nothing.
two COMPLETELY different fighting styles,
Yep. Fighting styles.
a boxer knows how to box, not how to fight
But...you just said...

Outsiders71 said:
What martial art is Jason Bourne using in the Bourne Trilogy? It seems like an interesting style.

I think it's Kali, mainly. Filipino.

phissionkorps said:
Uhhh obviously. My point is that if two equally matched fighters fought, and one knew MT + BJJ, and the other knew i dunno...tae kwon do and kung fu, the first guy would win. As I said in the first post, BJJ triumphs even over gross mismatches. I've seen 120 lbs BJJ guys take out 280lb boxers in seconds, etc, etc, etc. There are about 10 different martial arts studios in Lubbock...the BJJ teacher has routinely beaten the teachers of all the other disciplines. I could go on and on. Obviously, guys who are solely BJJ get beaten (especially these days), but that combo is pretty unstoppable unless you're up against someone who knows the same.

Be careful about parroting the stuff floating around the MMA groups. It isn't always true. There are two reasons MT/BJJ guys always look so great.

The first is that a very high percentage of the people who study those arts are doing the real thing. BJJ was developed very recently so it hasn't been watered down. Conversely, a very low percentage of people studying ancient arts are doing the real thing, or anything that's even effective. Keep in mind those arts, the real arts, were used to survive in battles more brutal than anything you and I can conceive of. The few practitioners left who are doing the stuff that isn't watered down are scary. None of the deadliest people (deadly as in having literally caused numerous deaths) I've ever met have spent much time studying the arts being hyped by the MMA people. So, given those percentages, you pick a random MMA guy and a random traditional martial artist, and the traditional guy is almost certainly going to get destroyed.

Second, and this is mostly true of BJJ, these arts are extremely competition-friendly. I've heard people say that UFC fights are virtually the same as real combat. They aren't. In a match, you know the other person isn't going to kill you. And you don't want to kill the other person. That makes all the difference in the world. So how do you fight someone with death removed from the picture? You tie him up. Or you beat on him. The MMA styles are awesome for this. Of course they always win. But I can't tell you how many times I've watched a UFC match and the guys are tangled up on the ground, and both of them have easy access to each other's eyes, throats, necks, etc. Or fingers waving around just asking to be snapped. If all these targets were fair game, certain unbeatable people would start finding themselves in trouble, I think.

Seriously. I don't know why the MMA guys are so blind to this, but the people they're crushing don't represent the ancient arts. The real deal are right there with you, looking at those "masters" and just shaking their heads.

Back