What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Hottest Pepper

they are ebay. go for it! but go for it at your own risk... haha

my dad gave me 100$ cash for eating a ripe hab whole with out the use of milk or other dairy products. i could drink all the water i wanted though it didnt help at all(because the pepper chemical is hydrophobic :D) anywho...i think my taste buds have a tripple reenforced wall on them. hot foods dont bug me anymore. but ill never....ever....ever eat a whole hab again. however i do always put pieces(when i have them) in chili and my mom substitutes jalapeno for habanero in her pepper jelly when its a good year :D

Alex

JLAP, BLACK pepper? RED pepper flakes? JALEPENOS?!?

That's hot?!?

:-))

If you want to kick it up a notch, don't got straight to habenero. That's suicide.

Start with a step to, oh, cayenne or hot wax. Those are hotter than jalepenos (except corky jalepenos. Anyone ever had those? They make the regulare jalepenos look like ice cubes). If you're REALLY daring, go for a tai chili (the regular kind, not the insane tai chilies).

Been there, done that. Except that it was the NEXT DAY while I was putting my contacts in.

Now that musta SUCKED!

I can see this new variety of pepper quickly becoming the key ingrediant to new breeds of pepper sprays! :grin:

I was under the impression that all hot peppers originated in Central American and were then spread to other parts of the world. Does anyone know if that is correct?

I buy fresh habeneros at my local grocery store, dry them in my toaster oven and then grind up a few when I need some “heat" for cooking. Great for chili, corned beef and Hungarian Goulash. Sprinkling a bit on pizza adds a whole new dimension to Italian food.

Rubbing your eyes after handling hot peppers is one thing but I once tore the stems off a bunch of fresh habeneros and placed them in my oven to dehydrate. I then made a quick trip to the bathroom. THAT will ruin your whole day. :0o: :censor:

I'll admit Schloaty, that's hot to this wimp lmao. I'm no on your level and am humbled by your daring! My mom grew habaneros once, and my dad ate one in the middle of the night thinking it was just a banana pepper, so he popped the whole thing in his mouth and ate it. Then he rubbed his eyes lmao. He thought he needed to go to the hospital lmao (for real real, I'm not joking!)

SOUP dish? More like chili = whatever meet you have around, some beer, and a couple tomatos.

Oh sorry...I just grabbed some words to use to distinquish the food from the plant. Here: Chili = "ground beef and chile peppers or chile powder often with tomatoes and kidney beans." That's not to say you can't make chile with other ingredients. :)

I was under the impression that all hot peppers originated in Central American and were then spread to other parts of the world. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Your absolutely right, even though this pepper's botanical name is Capsicum chinense, it is "a complete misnomer, as this Chile variety has absolutely nothing to do with China" - the plant was mistaken to have come from asia. Just like our common milkweed was mistaken as coming from Syria (Asclepias syriaca). However that area of the world uses the most Capsicum (sp) in more of its food than almost anywhere else, so there is a lot of selection pressure for new types there- they are obviously capable of creating new varieties to suit local tastes.

Ha. It's not chili without the beans.

PAK, why don't you just say

Chili = the dish you eat
Chilie = the pepper.

Chili = the dish you eat

I don't eat my dishes. I used them to serve my chili. :-))

When I make chili, I'm rather light on the beans. I don't like really beanie chili.

I DO like navy beans with ketchup on 'em. Yum!

I grew alot of thai chili my brother took some then ate them,
he screamed for hours not my fault :D
I had a ton of pepers mostly jalepenos some plants were very hot while some were very mild,I usualy make salsa with onions,tomatoe,salt,jalepenos,cilantro and some other stuff very chunky salsa. In hawaii I had a ton of thai chilies there was this chinese guy who used to use my chilies(hot thai) on his salads in large amount as a salad topping the same ones that made my brothers scream for hours. Next year I wanna grow a large variety of hot pepers not atomic but warm and flavorfull for salsa.
Peppers and tomatoes grew very well in hawaii thuse they were easy for me.

Thanks for answering my question Finch. I did a little research and found the following:

The Origins of Chile Peppers
By Eric Vinje, Cosmic Chile

Christopher Columbus didn't just sail the ocean blue and discover the New World in 1492 while trying to find a short cut to the East Indies. He sampled a plant, thought it was a relative of the black pepper, and dubbed it a "pepper."

So began several hundred years of misinformation about chile peppers. Unlike what Christopher Columbus thought, they aren't related to black pepper and they didn't originate in India.

Hot chile peppers actually came from somewhere in South America. There they were known as Aji (technically there should an accent over the "I" leaning towards the right). Chile peppers, which hail from the genus Capsicum are not related to black pepper. Instead they are members of the nightshade (Solanaceae) family and are related to tomatoes, cherries and eggplant.

"Well into the 19th century, most Europeans continued to believe that peppers were native to India and the Orient, until Alphonse de Candolle, a botanist, produced convincing linguistic evidence for the South America origin of the genus Capsicum," states MSN.com's Foodies Corner.

Whether you call them aji or chile peppers, these plants were likely first cultivated as early as 5000 BC. By 1492, Native Americans had domesticated at least four species. In the West Indies, Columbus found several different capsicums cultivated by the Arawak Indians.

Columbus might not have been right about the origins, but he did help popularize chile peppers. (A chile by any other name will be just as hot, right?) He brought back samples to the Iberian Peninsula and they quickly spread about the world. And if you think that today's hot sauce explosion is amazing, check this out. According to the Foodies Corner of MSN.com, roughly 50 years after Columbus brought home peppers, they were being cultivated on all coasts of Africa, India, Asia, China, the Middle East, the Balkans, Central Europe and Italy. Peppers spread faster than kudzu.

And although Columbus brought peppers to Spain, it was the Portugese traders who actually spread their use and cultivate, according to the Foodies Corner. Portuguese trading partners in turn spread peppers to Asia and the Arab world by the early 1500s. The Turks reportedly brought the chile pepper to Hungary in the mid-15th century.

That’s really interesting. I never knew the mistake was cleared up with linguistic evidence.

For anyone who’s interested, there is a really good site on spices with an emphasis on its uses on asian cuisine here- its really detailed, so it migt be more than you wanted to know, but its really interesting and probably the best source out there- history, uses, biochemical composition etc/

Gernot Katzer’s Spice Pages http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/index.html

With really good detailed articles on chili/ hot peppers
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Caps_fru.html

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Caps_ann.html

Back