What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sensitive People

joossa

Aklys
I have a bit of a rant. I would also like to hear your thoughts on the matter and similar situations.

I was at the mall yesterday. I needed new shoes, so I decided to stop by there. I’m not much of a shopper… I usually have an idea of what I need, I go in, get it, and pay.

I find a really nice pair of shoes at the department store, and I get in line to pay... I am not sure if others stores do this, but there are registers all over the store, usually a couple in each department. The store I went to had large circular desks, with the cashiers inside the “circle”. Each desk has a designated area where customers form the line. Instead of having a line form in front of each available cashier, there is a single line. The area is designated by a sign that states, “Line Starts Here”, which is found adjacent to the desk. So, people get in the line and as a cashier becomes available he/she calls “next” and the next person in line gets to go up and pay.

I’m better at drawing things than using words to explain certain things, so I made a picture:
Departmentstore.jpg

There was no one in line, but all the cashiers were serving customers, so I got in the designated line area. One of the lady cashiers turns to me and calls out “Next”. Her spot on the desk was the farthest from the line (as shown in the picture) so it took some seconds to walk up to her. As I was walking up to her, this guy and his woman-friend (the blue star on the picture), who were right in that area, walk up to her as if they were next in line. We almost got to the cashier at the same time, but they got to her first.

Just then, all hell breaks loose:
Cashier to the couple: “I’m sorry, but he was next.” (Referring to me)
The Guy: “WHAT!? Are you serious?”
Cashier: “Yes sir, the line starts over there.” (Points to the line area.)
The Guy’s lady-friend drops her shoulders as if she’s surprised.
The Guy: “OMFG! Are you serious!? I can’t believe this. We were waiting here.”
Cashier: “Sir, you are going to have to get in line.”
The Guy: “OMG, I can’t believe this. You know, I’m never coming back to this store again. I was waiting here!”
The Guy’s lady friend: “Come on.”

All this time I am just standing there, next to them at the desk. The lady-friend walks towards the line and the guy turns around at me, shaking his head and walks away, leaving his lady-friend in the line. I pay and leave. This whole time the line was empty.

It’s not in my nature to correct anyone or suggest anything to anyone, especially people I don’t know. But this guy really pissed me off! He knew the line was completely empty. When the cashier told him that he had to wait, he completely acted like his rights were violated!!! What a :censor:!! All he had to do was wait for like 3 minutes and the next cashier would have been available. God! And it’s not like he couldn’t read the sign, for it was on a tall pole and contained large legible font.

I have experienced several scenarios where this happens, and it always boils my blood! If only some people could be a little more understanding…

While it sucks when people do that, you should be glad you had such a responsive cashier! It's worse when you have to try to fend for yourself while the cashier just sits and watches.

Just be glad you're not involved with that relationship at all. LOL

I wrote the following but never clicked submit.. :( hehe

I've had the exact scenario. EXCEPT! The star person walks up as the last person leaves, and as I get there say "I was next in line" and the cashier refers ME back to line and helps the star person... I once had a cashier take 3 (yes THREE) walk up people while I was standing in line. I spoke with that person's manager and I never saw that person there again.

I dunno dude...whenever stuff like this happens to me, I'm never afraid to assert my dominance. Yeah it might piss someone off, but they were 100% in the wrong, and it's not like you'll ever see them again :D

I don't think it was sensitivity, I think it was the sense of entitlement. American retailers have turned consumers into spoiled child-gods. "The customer is always right" was a bad, bad idea.

Better than German retailers which have a mentality of "I'll help you when I want...IF I want"

A "perfect" hotel rule :D
"We deny no guests,even the most ridiculous request"
Where that phrase come from ?

i don't really have anything relevant to contribute. i'm still smiling that you actually took the time to make that picture with the legend and everything. :jester:

at least no one got punched.

oh boy...im full of them. im a bagger/cashier at Kroger( supermarket for those who dont have one). we have crazies come in all the time.

one lady comes in and everytime she buys only 2 things. beer and another item. and every single time she complains about item #2. so she gets a 24 pack of COCA-COLA and she says "wait a minute....that coke.....is 8.99. its suppsed to be 4.99?" and i say yes it is 8.99. "are you f****** kidding me!?" i say "no mamn. and it isnt on sale either" so she says "WHAT!!! WHERE THE HELL IS YOUR MANAGER!? THIS THE DAMN MOST EXPENSIVE STORE IN THE ENTIER STATE FOR COKE!!!! IM GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE YOU AND YOU(my bagger...) FIRED!!" so manager comes down and a price check is done..... 8.99. so i ask her "look mamn. its 8.99. do you want the cokes or not?" so she says" well if im not going to get a discount or anything, im NOT getting them" took her beer. and left. later i went back and checked and what she tried to get was a 24pack of coke for the price of a 24pack of Big-K(coke generic brand).

next story. lady comes through. i was a bagger this time. total is taken up and she tries to pay with a check. check dosent go through and a second ID is needed(being a drivers liscense) she spent 10 mins looking for it and said "oh no. i left it at blockbuster!(right down thew street)" so we said we couldnt accept the check nad also "we cant accept it for your safety" so then it started.... "SAFETY! THATS WHAT I HAVE INSURENCE FOR!! i cant believe this! i need your name(three peoples names including the co-manager haha!) i will have you fired for treating me like this.... and it went on. and she still does the same thing to this day.

Alex

I enjoy that eposiode,
Id watch the simpsons but well that won't happen............
In hawaii most people are jerks,unless there locals and the nice people are a rarety. Well atleats for the big island. Your treated like gold in the hotels if your a tourist.

HAHAHAHA dude I used to work at Kroger for like 3 years. I've got soooooo many stories. But yeah working there = worst job EVER

well. Kroger = first real job. and it pays money :D money keeps me satisfied.
Alex

Same...got the job 2 days after my 15th birthday ahaha. I got in so much trouble there. Had a real problem with peopl ethat were 35 years older than me but had the SAME EXACT JOB (cashier) telling me what to do. I always told them if they knew what to do, they wouldn't be in their 40s and working as a cashier at Kroger haha

The Analope vally mall? I lived in Mojave CA for 12 years and went to palmdale alot as it was pretty close. That mall is very infamous! I think that there is a group of people that try to piss other people off, as they have me on several occasions, and over such stupid things such as cutting in line. Very annoying!

Alex, how could you stay so calm when that lady was yelling at you. Very good. I simply cant stand people like that! Thats why I dont work in retail.

The Analope vally mall? I lived in Mojave CA for 12 years and went to palmdale alot as it was pretty close. That mall is very infamous! I think that there is a group of people that try to piss other people off, as they have me on several occasions, and over such stupid things such as cutting in line. Very annoying!

Alex, how could you stay so calm when that lady was yelling at you. Very good. I simply cant stand people like that! Thats why I dont work in retail.
Yes! I've only been there like 5 times in the past three years and never had any negative experiences... Maybe I should stick to the Glendale Galleria?

One thing I have learned is that you cannot let people get to you. I believe that there some people are placed on this planet just to make others miserable. They are purely egocentric and if you allow them to get to you, then you lose. I'm with Alex; if you stay cool, calm, reserved, and use logic, then you end up as the better person.

I have a cool story..

Right after college I worked at a Moto-Photo..a chain of photo stores.
the stores also had a small portrait studio in them.

We had package deals for school photos, like 2 8X10's, five 5X7's 10 wallets, for a certain price..

So this guys comes in with with his highschool age daughter and wants the portraits taken,
but he wants them in B&W, not color..he is told there is an extra charge for B&W, because it takes special processing..he is told how much it is and why, he says fine. (it was like $10 more)

A few weeks later he is back to pick up his pictures..
"that will be $29.99 sir"
"WHAT?! the sign clearly says the package is $19.99!"
"yes, but we told you it was more for the B&W"

He throws a major fit..says he wont pay.."I demand to talk to the manager!"
manager isnt there, he will be in tomorrow, etc..
the store employee says he cant take the photos without paying the full price.
(I was watching all this, I wasnt directly involved)
"sorry sir, but I cant let you take the photos for $19.99, you will have to talk to the manager"
Finally the guy slaps a $20 on the counter, grabs the photos, and walks out!

next day, he calls the store to speak to our manager, probably assuming he is going to get an apology..

I cant hear what the guy is saying, but I can hear Ryan, our manager, talking to him..the call ends with Ryan saying: "I dont appreciate the way you treated my employees, and you took the product without paying the full price, which amounts to theft..I dont ever want to see you in my store again." *click*

woo!! :-O

then..years later, I run into my old boss Ryan, he is now working at a local bookstore, im talking with him while he is at one of those computer stations the bookstore employees use..this woman walks up to him, chatting away on her cell phone, she briefly interrupts her phone conversation to ask Ryan a question..he says "I will be happy to help you when you are finished with your phone call"..she gives him a strange look and walks away.. :-))

he said he does that all the time..there is no need to accept rudeness from customers.
maybe store employees are starting to "fight back" more..thats a good thing!

Scot

I'm a Park Ranger for New York State Office of Parks out of Wellesley Island State Park. Man, the STORIES! WOW. We had a guy that was drunk and beligerant. We got a call out fo our patrol truck radio about it. Get down to his area and campsite, at like 12AM (quiet hours start at 10) this dude is just cussing and throwing crap around. We told him he had to knock it off and either shut up or go to bed. Told us to go :censor: ourselves. So I told him if "Sir if you continue, you will be put under arrest." Laughed in my partners face, got in his truck and said "Arrest this." Did like 5 donuts in is truck out in the soccer field. Needless to say he was locked up, family was evicted from our park and they paid for damage to state property.

MAN I LOVE MY JOB!

LOL I gotta admit, I love the picture with the legend and all... that is awesome. This guy must have really got to you. As for similar experiences, I used to work at Ralph's (grocery story), and then later Macy's (clothing store), and I never had customers get to that point. I gotta agree with phission here... as long as you exert your dominance, people back down. Too many Americans believe they are number 1, and you just gotta put them in their place. I think the biggest issue I had with working retail (at Macy's at least) was all the beautiful women. Apparently they all talk and know who is dating who lol... That never ended well.

how do i stay so calm? cause if i flip then i get fired. i can handle stuff like this to a certain point...after that it lets loose. but i can control it in Kroger for some reason....good thing too.

Alex

Back