What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 20 Weirdest Things Ever Sold on eBay

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
I found two lists haha

List #1:

10. Item #191367029: The Internet

If people can sell plots of land on the moon, then why can't someone sell the Internet? Someone did just that, for the bargain asking price of $1 million. Of course, it was all just a gag and it's unlikely that this Pay Pal transaction ever went through. But still, it would have been the deal of the century-the buyer was even throwing in free Internet access.

9. Item #277481422: UFO Detector

A prototype manufactured by a Brazilian company, this modified magnetometer is supposed to pick up UFO activity and was proven to work when red and orange balls of light appeared in the skies over Sao Paulo. Unfortunately, it wasn't 100% guaranteed due to the fact that "the propulsion systems of UFOs are not the same." Why would the seller want to part with such a unique item? It's okay-he had two. Final sale price: $135.03.

8. Item #248619068: The Meaning of Life

Someone finally figured it out, and they put it up for sale on eBay. Even with eight bids this incredible find didn't fetch much, but it was probably the best $3.26 the winning bidder ever spent.

7. Item #1178647016: Russian Test Space Shuttle

This one-of-a-kind item was once offered by a Russian company for $2 million, but was posted on eBay for "a fraction of that." It's not known how much they wanted for the scaled-down Bor-5 VKK spacecraft, because the reserve price was never reached. Bidding topped out at $25,200, but perhaps it was the $5,000 shipping price that scared off potential buyers.

6. Item #2961640885: Vampire Killing Kit

The stylish vampire hunter would love this late 1800s European "vampire killing kit," which included a crossbow with four silver-tipped arrows, an ebony wood stake, a large bottle of holy water and various surgical instruments, among other things. A solid mahogany wood box kept the items secure until they would be needed. Final bid: $4,550.

5. Item #289158639: Real Shrunken Head

Straight from the Jivaro Indian tribe in the jungles of Ecuador to the world's largest electronic marketplace, a total of 26 shrunken heads were put up for sale. Only 7 people bid on them, with the top bidder paying just under $25. It is assumed that he or she got first choice of the heads, which ranged in color from dark brown to gray.

4. Item #2931457201: Ghost In a Jar

As the story goes, the seller of this item found a rotted wooden box while metal detecting. Inside were two glass jars and a journal. One of the jars was accidentally dropped, causing a black mist of some sort to be released. The other jar and the journal were taken home, and the seller proceeded to be haunted by something he could only describe as "The Black Thing."

Wishing to pass the jar (and the ghost) on to someone else, he put the still unopened jar on eBay, insisting that only serious bidders would be considered. People must have loved the story, because there were well over 60 bids placed.

Unfortunately, not all of them were serious, because the selling price topped $90 million. No word as to who finally wound up with the jar, or if they too had supernatural visitors. Since this auction, there have been many, many more "ghost in a jar" items posted on eBay.

3. Item #150118191: USAF Hughes AIM-4D Falcon Missile

Yes, a real missile was auctioned off; fortunately, it was disarmed prior to the sale. The bidding reached $3,950, but the reserve price was never met.

2. Item #127658711: Serial Killer's Fingernails

In 1979, Lawrence Bittaker and Roy Norris cruised southern California on a killing spree that resulted in at least five victims. And now, the fingernails of Roy Norris have been sold on eBay for only $9.99.

Taped to the back of a Christmas card, they were accompanied by a penned note from Norris himself, signed and topped off with the serial killer's black thumbprint.

1. Item number not known: "Stricken Life" Painting

A rather macabre-looking self-portrait of a man known only as "Harold," this painting is believed to be haunted. The artist was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer in early 2001. Knowing that he could no longer care for his Multiple Sclerosis-stricken wife, he put a double-barrel shotgun against her head while she was sleeping and squeezed the trigger.

He then went into the den and put the shotgun in his own mouth. The house where the murder-suicide took place was eventually sold, and the new owners found the painting. Strange things started happening, such as the family dog sitting in front of the painting and howling, so Harold had to go -- on eBay, of course.

List #2:

#10 - Girlfriends: Some girls auctioned their services as ‘imaginary girlfriends’, who would send the winning bidder pictures of themselves and loving letters, which they could use to pretend they had a girlfriend.

#9 - Wedding dress: Nothing strange about selling a wedding dress, you might think – but this was the guy’s ex-wife’s wedding dress. And he modelled it, as well as writing a long screed about his ex-wife in the description. It sold for £3,850.

#8 - TV part: Producers on the TV show Ally McBeal once used eBay to auction off a walk-on part on the show.

#7 - Kidney: One man tried to sell his kidney on eBay – after all, you only need one, right? Unfortunately it’s illegal to buy or sell human organs. Good thinking, though.

#6 - Toenail clippings: A girl once sold her toenail clippings on eBay, one clipping from each toe. She got a $1 for the set – a low price for the years of joy they no doubt provided to the buyer.

#5 - Britney’s gum: Someone picked up Britney Spears’ chewed gum at a London hotel and decided it’d be a great thing to sell on eBay. Oddly enough, they were right – they got $263 for it. A Britney fan probably has it framed in their house.

#4 - Ghost: Yes, a ghost. In a jar. Well, why not? The ghost was, apparently, ‘terrorising’ the man who owned it, and so he decided to capture it and sell it on eBay to someone who might be able to give it a better home.

#3 - Virgin Mary sandwich: A seller offered a grilled cheese sandwich upon which the Virgin Mary had appeared to her – and the strange thing is, she genuinely seemed to believe it. This item, unbelievably, sold for $28,000. Some people just have too much money to waste, don’t they?

#2 - Virginity: An 18-year-old British girl sold her virginity on eBay – but it was bought by a businessman who kindly agreed to give her the money without actually taking the ‘service’.

And at #1 - Fighter jet: A state brokerage in Virginia sold a U.S. Navy F/A-18A Hornet jet fighter on eBay for just over a million dollars. It was, unfortunately, in pieces and so unusable, but they offered to put it back together and make it ready to fly for the low, low price of just another $9 million.

OK, So, to get a new computer or a better LCD Monitor I should:

A) Hawk my Kidney on eBay
B) Chew up some gum, throw it on the ground, then pick it back up, sell it on eBay and say it was Britney Spears'
C) Grab a bunch of Halloween Kits, mix them together, throw an old wooden crossbow in it and sell it as a Vampire Killing Kit

Now I know!

Strangest Thing I Myself Have Ever Seen on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AN-AUTHENTIC-HU...ryZ16710QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Why'd he wash it out? I wouldn't need to go to the deli if he didn't.

um... yeah... quit trying to sell empy jars on e-bay. :grin:

i can't believe there's actually someone stupid enough to pay for crap like that. funny, though.

I found out single-handedly what happened to the jar. I talked to the guy, it's in his closet locked up still.

The wedding dress one I saw on eBay and it was hilarious!! That guy had his 15-min of fame because he was on a number to talk and radio shows.

I remember the possessed rubber ducky. It was an obvious copy to some other things and not long after that sold...he mysterious had a second possessed rubber ducky...

BTW....if I remember correctly, Capslock briefly had the Virgin Mary sandwich in his office...or something like that.

Back