What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your thoughts on this photograph

• Thread starter Drosera36
  • Start date
I took this photo today, and I'm thinking of bringing it with me to this photo club that I think will meet in about a week, and then enter it into a competition they have. But I want people's thoughts on this pic, since I haven't really shown it to anyone yet. But whether or not it's really all that good, I'm not sure. I like it though.

DSCN6153.jpg

I've titled it "Reflect" but I might come up with a better name later.

Thanks,
-Ben

I'm no photographer, but I think it's pretty cool. I would suggest, however, that you cut the base out of the pic if possible. Either way a cool pic :).

Thanks. I've never edited any of my photos, except one, which was to make it black and white. I guess I'm a 'purist'. But, I'll think about that.

-Ben

Perhaps you can retake the photo, with the base cut out?

That might be pretty difficult, cause the reflection may not come out the same. But whatever, I'll just leave it.

-Ben

It could use more contrast. Muted has its place sometimes, but this would be more interesting and have more impact if it wasn't all middle tones.

You're prolly right. I should of taken this in color, because the liquid is a dark green color. Maybe I will retake this, after all.

-Ben

Are you telling me that's not photo shopped, but a natural reflection of a tree? Dude that's hella nice. What is that? A glass gazing ball or some lab ware or something?

Great photo. You'll have to be the judge of it, but I'd see how it looks if you cut off the bottom 1/4, at the bottom of the "bubble", so the tree isn't centered vertically. If you maintain the proportions, that'll take a lot off the sides. Maybe that's too much, so you might also see how it looks if you take off the bottom ~10%, at that segment in the column. And I absolutely would not do it in color - a shot like that begs for B&W.

Are you telling me that's not photo shopped, but a natural reflection of a tree? Dude that's hella nice. What is that? A glass gazing ball or some lab ware or something?

Yeah I didn't touch it. I dunno what it's called. Like when you put your hand on the bottom, water moves up it. I took some more pics along with that one, but they kinda show what it is.
DSCN6152.jpg

DSCN6146.jpg

Great photo. You'll have to be the judge of it, but I'd see how it looks if you cut off the bottom 1/4, at the bottom of the "bubble", so the tree isn't centered vertically. If you maintain the proportions, that'll take a lot off the sides. Maybe that's too much, so you might also see how it looks if you take off the bottom ~10%, at that segment in the column. And I absolutely would not do it in color - a shot like that begs for B&W.

Thanks. I'll try editing it and see how it looks.

-Ben

Looks great! Hey, all photographers "edit" their photos - it doesn't compromise the piece at all. Especially an "art shot". Make it look the way you want, however you want. Keep it up - you have some talent.

Capslock

Yea this photo definetaly deserves to be edited. Nice capture!
I did some editing on Lightroom cause i don't have much of any thing to do and i havent taken many pictures lately Ive been pretty busy.
Hope you dont mind.
1973615349_8bb127d479_o.jpg

sharpened it, added some contrast, darkened the shadows a bit upped the exposer a little..

... very nice! I definitely prefer that one.

Your edit makes my original photo look like crap. Lol, now whenever I look at my pic, it's all fuzzy. Ah well, thanks for editing it.

-Ben

Last edited:
That's a nice edit, but it would have been impossible without your original. You saw something most people would never see. That's art. Keep working on the art and on the craftsmanship of photography and you'll do fine. Plenty of people get the technical part, but the art is what separates the great photographers.

Back