What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Computer help

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I've been thinking of updating my computer for a while, but everything has changed and I can not just buy a few parts to upgrade like I have the last 2-3 time I've done upgrades.
I was forced to upgrade earlier this week, with a whole new computer, when not only a power supply died on my computer, but my main hard drive died as well. (I've gotten very bad in backing up info and lost lots of pics I was organizing on that drive to back up which are gone forever now. :-( ) Makes you want to :puke:
I also lost lots of emails. I was on vacation the week before and had not looked at / answered many I received. Again, it was way back when I backed up my last email messages and address book. :blahblah9xm: :blahblah9xm:

So any way, now I'm learning a new OS, Vista, and since I was installing software I was downloading the latest and greatest versions.
The one thing I have noticed and not sure why, is I have the latest version of FileZilla to upload my webpages. I updated a page on my computer and then uploaded it to the server. When looking up the page in a browser, nothing is there. When I look at FileZilla connect to my server the page with the new time is there, but it has 0 for the file size.
When I upload it again and check the tab in FileZilla for Successful Transfers and it shows 4,209 on the file size, but when I refresh the info on the server the file again has the new time and 0 on the file size.
I'm not sure if this is something I'm doing incorrectly, a problem with the server I upload my info.
Something just hit me while I was typing this...firewall. Check that out and looks to be configured correctly with FileZilla. This is also a new program for me. I usually like to try different ones out and this is the first time I've used CA Internet Security software. So maybe I'm missing something in there.

Just seeing if anyone has any suggestions. :confused:

This is the page:
http://mysite.verizon.net/elgecko1989/gecko_4_sale.html

It is something in the firewall.
I disabled it, uploaded the page, and now it's there.
I'll have to mess around with that some more. Maybe when I figure that out I'll figure out how to get uTorrent to work through it. Never had any problem with the other firewall I used.

How do you like Vista so far? The only time I used Vista I was not impressed with it.

Jerry

I've never used Vista before but I rant about it in my YouTube videos, watch out dude, you'll be bound to run into MORE problems then a little firewall problem with FileZilla ;).

idunno squat about vista, I'm still in denial of its existence but....

You comments here triggered a thought.

my main hard drive died as well. (I've gotten very bad in backing up info and lost lots of pics I was organizing on that drive to back up which are gone forever now. I also lost lots of emails. I was on vacation the week before

I have seldom lost a HD I couldn't get to run again...at least long enough to get my data transfered to another HD.

I leave a PC shut down in Florida for about 5 to 6 months of the year while I am else where.
Every year when I return I'll have at least one of the four HD's in it lock-up. I keep it running, let it generate some heat and I can get it to turn again. I have pulled the covers off the tower and put a heater on it before and had success getting it to run. I'm sure this is due to dampness, sitting idle, etc.

Don't give up too quick on that old HD, just plug it in to you new PC and let it sit there and on occasion give it a try and see what happens. It's taken up to a couple weeks for mine to come back to life again. I've even had one run as soon as I fired the PC up after sitting for months just to quit after a few days and then run again a few weeks later.

Needless to say, I back up everything. I keep a terabyte of HD's (four, 250 gig's) just for storage. They are just standard HD's that I stuff in a external hard drive vault when I need them. They are real handy to have along with me when away from home for extended periods.

Just a thought................................

Mac. :)

How do you like Vista so far? The only time I used Vista I was not impressed with it.

Jerry
Nothing is really impressive about it. As long as it is stable and compatible with my programs I will have no issues with it.
Like all the other OS I ever used I had to make tweaks to my liking.

NeciFiX said:
I've never used Vista before but I rant about it in my YouTube videos, watch out dude, you'll be bound to run into MORE problems then a little firewall problem with FileZilla .
The only problem I've had so far has nothing to do with Vista. It is the Firewall that I installed.

Igrow said:
Don't give up too quick on that old HD, just plug it in to you new PC and let it sit there and on occasion give it a try and see what happens. It's taken up to a couple weeks for mine to come back to life again. I've even had one run as soon as I fired the PC up after sitting for months just to quit after a few days and then run again a few weeks later.
I did try that. When I hook up the hard drive on the new computer it just makes the system restart over and over again.
I tried to remove the board under the HD and replace it with another one to see if any chips went bad on it. The problem, even all the HD's I have are WD's, is that I do not have another HD that is a 200Gig. The board is keyed and the others I have will not fit.
Just a good eye opener to me to back up my info like I used to do.

PlantAKiss said:
What kind of gibberish is that. :-))

Last edited:
Only problem i've had with vista is bad motherboards from ASUS... Now i'm back to DFI LanParty and every thing runs beautifully and quickly :D

A Microsoft OS is never ready to be used until the first service pack at the very earliest.

Back