What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sad

:-( :-( :-( :censor: :censor: :censor: :nono: :nono:
In Japan they are killing dolphins for a sport and to eat ! That is cruel save the dolphins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love animals so if you like cps too than think of the suffering animals like cps getting poached for fun :-( :-( :-( :censor: not good

Yea I heard about this... Supposedly it's a Japanese custom, and efforts by foreigners to stop them have been met with aggression by Japanese fisherman. The authorities even protect the fishermen by fencing areas off, to block the view of the killings. Some mountains and hillsides are completely blocked off, so as to prevent people from taking pictures of the kills. They also tent off the areas to cover the blood red water. Some Japanese tradition...

if its a tradition or a custom. i dont see it as cruel at all. its part of your culture. you wonder how people in japan see us when we kill millions of turkeys for one day and eat them. you cant "hate" on culture until you look at some of the traditions and cumtoms in your own...
Alex

EDIT: another example. the Inuits(eskimos) in the arctic hunt the endangered(am i right?) Narwhal. we may see it as cruel...but to them its just about as normal as us when its deer season.

No different than killing a chicken or a cow, morrally speaking.
What Glider says is true; its all about culture. To them, dolphins are probably just big, aqautic chickens.
What is sad is when people kill animals for a sport. That to me is wrong. It's ok to kill dolphins for food, but killing them just for fun and wasting the bodies is messed up.
I just hope they aren't doing it so much that they are endangering them. They probably are, which encourages me to go and do some more research.

Edit: Yes they are....stupid people.:censor:

Dolphin is a fish,a Porpoise is a mammal.So which one is it,it makes a differance.

Jerry

I guess the difference to me is that animals like cattle, chickens and turkeys are raised on farms specifically for the food market with breeding programs to replenish the supply. Dolphins on the other hand are just being taken from the sea, depleting their numbers.

China ranks as the number one country for importation of endangered species because of the "culture" of mystical medicines (ground tiger paw, elephant feet, rare turtle shells, etc.). The black market is rife with cruelty that would never be tolerated in the U.S. Their government looks the other way because is medical tradition. :-(

dolphin=mahi mahi, phission korps :D
Alex

dolphin=mahi mahi, phission korps :D
Alex
Bingo! ;)

Anyways, I don't really like the idea of Dolphins (the mammal) being slaughtered for food, and especially not for fun. Maybe my reasoning is faulty, but they're really intelligent animals and have been known to aid humans. In fact some tribes in Africa have a mutualistic relationship with them. I kind of see it as slaughtering a pack of dogs.

But theres really nothing you can do, the Japanese are going to do what they want/need in their own waters, especially if its part of their culture.

Mahi mahi is also knows as dolphin, but it's not literally a dolphin. Very ugly fish if I say so myself. Very tasty, too.

http://www.torpedotours.com/images/mahi.jpg

To me, it's wrong because they are so intelligent. But sort of not. It's like, what kind of person could kill an elephant or a monkey? Not one that I'd like to meet. Then again, pigs are more intelligent than dogs, yet we don't eat dogs and pigs aren't man's best friend. Except truffle farmers (naturally.) Morally? I don't have a problem with it....from an anthropological perspective I guess. Practically? They are too cute and smart to kill. That's the reason I can't eat lamb or veal. I don't have a moral problem with it, I just can't stand the thought of eating something so cute and innocent. It's interesting that I just said the word "innocent." Look at how I just anthropomorphized the animals, when in fact they are no better or worse than any other animal. Except for the sloth, of course. They're evil, you know.

Reminds me of a joke I heard on TV. It's something like A vegetarian is helping a dolphin trapped in a net, and while doting over the dolphin he keeps saying "Get out of the way, you stupid tuna!!!"

Look at India. The cow is sacred there, and it's just livestock here. That is a perfect analogy between the views of almost everyone in the west and the people who do this in Japan. IIRC, The Japanese also kill whales in the name of "research" but I think they end up being consumed and/or only being killed for their ambergris. Some loophole I saw on some documentary that I'm FAR too lazy to research right now. Technically, killing a dolphin is no different than killing a cow, but to us it seems unthinkable because of differences in our culture and theres.

All of the above is assuming no endangered/threatened species are being killed. I'm, of course, strongly opposed to that.

who the hell calls mahi mahi a dolphin? Not only is it not a mammal but uhhh its allready got a name (mahi mahi). I've spent 19 years living in coastal cities, and mahi mahi is always referred to as (you guessed it) mahi mahi

depends where you live i guess. my uncle down in Apalachicola, FL calls them dolphin. and he calls dolphins bottle noses. its like that every where around him.
Alex

I just want to clarify that I too have no problem with killing most animals. My problems with the dolphins being killed however, are that many are already endangered, and that they are not being raised for slaughter as are many other animals. It is for this same reason that I do not approve of the overfishing of many species. I definitely won't eat farm raised fish either, but that is because of the high mercury content. I'm all for eating some tasty meat. That's what we humans were meant to do. We're omnivores, not herbivores. I just don't think we should destroy the delicate ecosystem balance any more than we have.

People in the deep south have lots of strange words for everything. I need a translator to understand them :D

Im afraid I don’t have much sympathy for this culture for killing dolphins… Japan has been whaling endangered species under the excuse that its ‘scientific’ but no other country kills hundreds of whales a year for ‘research’… when marine biologists say that it is unnecessary, I believe them.

People in the deep south have lots of strange words for everything. I need a translator to understand them
What? Go any farther south than Texas and you hit Mexico. What do you consider “deep south”?

The deep south is GA, SC, AL, and MS. Some consider the states bordering those to be part of the deep south. Texas is in the southwest. Actually that's stupid since if you look at a map it's pretty much directly in the center on the southern side, but I digress.

As a side note, I've never seen it called dolphin either. I had to look up "dolphin fish". It's a very unappetizing name. They don't call veal baby cow, so they made up a word lmao. I've always seen it called Mahi Mahi and comes in these thick "steaks." Good stuff. And FYI no one I've ever met in GA calls it Dolphin, either.

Back on topic. What was it again? Oh yeah, Dolphin murderers.

The common dolphin-fish is an iridescent blue, green, golden colored fish distributed throughout the warm ocean waters of the world. It is considered very good eating and is listed as a game fish because of its’ fighting ability…great fun to catch and eat. It is known as "Dorado" in South American. Restaurants here in Florida use to list it on the menu as “locally caught fresh dolphin”...served baked, broiled or sautéed in garlic butter almadine style…$7.00.
The PC people were horrified that people were eating Flipper. The restaurants now call it by the Hawaiian name, Mahi Mahi. Served baked, broiled or sautéed in garlic butter almandine style they now charge $14.00.:-))

My above post made me sound vicious and evil, but even though I said it was "okay" to kill dolphins for food, I could never dream of doing it myself. Probably has something to with the intelleagence that dolphins have and the culture I've grown up in.
Its also a good point that they aren't raised on farms for slaughter. I was thinking more in terms of "people need to eat," but after pursuing the issue more thoughrally, it is clear to me that they the number of dolphins killed each year does not mach whats neccassary for human survival. I mean, they do have grocery stores in Japan that sell "normal" foods, like chicken and pork, and obviously we don't need to eat meet at all.
Still, at least they being used for food. They should illegalize dolphin killing sports that waste dolphin lives just for fun. Or have they already and it's going on anyway? Back to wikipedia....

Back