What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do they sell an "arial water trough" for lizards?

Hey folks,
I've added some new driftwood in my anole terrarium and there's a depression in the new piece which holds maybe a couple tablespoons worth of water if I mist heavily. I noticed the anole soaking in it tonight but being such a small amount it doesn't last long once he gets in it so I was thinking that maybe I would get a water basin. I'm wondering if they have one that has suction cups ir a hook to allow for being suspended for arboreal lizards? I wanted a hanging one cos he's never on the ground except to nab a cricket, he doesn't even swallow it until he gets back on his perch so I figure he'd likely be more interested in it if it were up by his perch near the lights.

anoles like drinking mist more then from a basin.

i had to put a minute air bubbler (more like blaster) in my water bowl to get them interested... and mostly they drank the splattered water drops.

Yes, I understand that anoles drink mist from plant leaves, I won't give up misting his tank (the plants love the twice daily rains) so he'll be able to drink "dew" as usual.

But what I was saying is that lately my anole has been liking to soak (not drink) the water that gets caught in the depression in the driftwood from misting. So I thought I'd get him something that held more than a tablespoon of water so he could really "get his feet wet" when he felt like it, and I figured a water trough to soak in that was above ground might keep the crickets from finding and drowning in it.

Anwyay, I posted this quetion like a week ago so I've had time to hunt around local pet shops and I haven't found any water troughs that have suction cups for wall mounting so It looks like I'll be making my own or buying a generic one.

Only just noticed this or I would have replied earlier.

Check kingsnake.com under the classified section, they have a bunch of reptile equipment type things, might find something there.

Cheaper alternative is to get a piece of plexi And get it cut at as a right triangle and then silicone it into the corner at a slight upward angle. Not very natural looking but you can spread silicon over the surface and then "glue" sand or peat or gravel to it first.

At a local pet store a couple weeks ago I saw a rain dripper thingy in the reptile section. It was like a 6 x 4 x 4 inch tank with a nipple on the bottom and some tubing and flow restricters. I guess it's similar to a drip watering system. If it works as advertised it might be easier than misting by had twice a day.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752587

Yeah, my cousin has a veiled chameleon and she got one of those drippers however you still gotta have a water basin to catch the drippings or you flood the bottom of the tank. I also have a big wooden hood full of lights over the tank that inhibits anything being set atop the glass.

I like mistng anyway cos sometimes the anole likes the "rain" and comes out to get a shower, he looks so contented with his eyes shut and head to one side when he allows being misted. I can officially call it a "he" cos yesterday he was dancing (bobbing?) and expanding his neck flap at a mushroom or some kind of rounded orange fungal growth (that really more or less resembled a kenel of corn) that had popped out of the new driftwood in his faveorite perch spot.

Yes, the interactive element certainly makes the activity of misting enjoyable.

Actually I was thinking of picking the dripper up to use on my Darlingtonia. I could probably pick the parts up for around $3.00 DIY but the trick would be finding them.

check out Home Depot's drip irrigation section (at ours it's on the end of the plumbing aisle) they have all sorts of 1/4" connectors, drippers, and small valves (and multi valves too). They have a Toro set in a small tackle box like kit that has a few pieces of everything for only about $10.

Back