What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Computer Question

• Thread starter ktulu
  • Start date
Ok I am looking for some advice on getting a new desktop computer since my last one's hard drive fried. I was wondering if anyone call tell me if I will get better performance out of a 3.0GHz standard processor or is the 2.0GHz Dual-Core processor will be better. Both of these chips are AMD brand and the other components are essentially the same. I am planing on up the RAM for both to at least 2 GB and more than likely 4 GB.

I am essentially wondering if the dual-core technology all the chip companies are pushing is truly any faster or if its all hype. And if there is a difference how much better are dual-core chips.

Depends on if you play a lot of computer games. Even though 2.0 dual core has more processing power, most games don't support use of both cores, and thus they run slower. I don't play any computer games, so I just got a laptop w/ a dual core...

Does AMD even make a 3.0 Ghz Single-core?

I've seen that it's getting harder and harder to find a high-end single-core processor.

The question is: What are you going to use it for? If you have a specific reason why you would require even 2GB RAM, then that's fine, but the vast majority of the time I've seen someone wit more than 1GB the majority is left unused at all times.

I've been using a dual-core for a bit over a year now and I'm as happy as a clam; also satisfied with 2x512 DDR2 RAM running in dual channel. If you're going to pick up new hardware there are some things I'd take in to consideration:

You should get a SATAII (really SATA) harddrive. It makes a difference; a big one. Things will boot faster, there's less wait time, and by golly is my SATA harddrive quieter than my IDE one.

There's generally not much point in having more than 1BG of RAM, though getting even 2 gigs is cheap enough (just a few more bucks than getting 1, so there's not much reason not to.)

Power supplies: Expensive =/= good. Do some real searches about how much big of a power supply you will need. 500 watts is more than enough unless you're doing something very much outside of the norm. I believe that the first wave of cheap modular power supplies have recently hit the market. I remember Tiger Direct having some awesome deals on them (I believe they were Ultra brand.) Modular is nice because you only use the cables you need. New power supplies support SATA harddrives out of the box, so you shouldn't need to worry about adapters.

CPUs: AMD is generally cheaper and more power efficient but the high end AMD cannot compete with the high end Intel. Do not compare Ghz between the two, they use a different system (which irks me to no end.) If you're looking for value, I believe the AMD 3800+ dual core is the best bang for your buck (though there isn't necessarily THAT much bang.)

$$$: Always be on the lookout for bundles, rebates, and be sure to check the Sunday paper. Since AMD + ATI recently merged, you can find some good combo deals from them (say, a CPU and video card combo.) If you send in rebates, be SURE to make a copy of everything you send in. Tiger Direct is nice because they actually send you an email updating you (I just got a $50 rebate back.)

I hope you find what you're looking for. Just remember that you don't need to spend some obscene amount of money to get what you want.

Rrr, and to reiterate: I've had good experiences with dual core machines.

Thanks for the responses. I do play games once in a while to let off some steam, but I dont I dont usually play games that need that much computing power. The main reason I was going to put in 2GB of RAM is because I am buying these as packages and they come with Vista, which I am not crazy about, but my experience with my laptop tells me Vista runs better with 2GB of RAM than it does with 1GB of RAM.

As for Tiger direct I wont buy form them again I got my last computer from them and had a bad experience with their rebate program which cost me ~$150 and they made no attempt to remedy the situation so i will not buy from them again. If anyone has suggestions for other places to get a good deal on a computer please pass it along.

Back