What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am going to college next year (hopefully UGA), and I want to take my cp's with me. I MIGHT get growing space in one of the university greenhouses (UGA has a CP greenhouse), but if I don't I will have to grow my plants in a tiny, closet-like dorm room. I am a terrerium/grow-light stand grower and I have been in dorm rooms before and have seen the space (or lack thereof) available. However, even in the smallest dorms I have seen, there is plenty of room for a small-medium sized grow shelf provided you use space efficiently and have a friendly room mate:poke: I grow mexican pings, rosetted sundews, and will be getting a the components for a lowland nepenthes tank for my birthday (tank, fogger, heater, small neps like N. belii, N. ampullaria, N.tomoriana) I hope I can take these with me to college, I don't trust my parents (who are excellent gardeners, but. ...) with my cps

Does anyone here grow CP's in a college dorm?

You'll need to make sure dorm rules allow for something like that Nep tank. University administrators tend to get paranoid when they see that word "heater".

You'll want to definitely talk to your roommate first and set out some expectations based on the lighting and space. Your roommate might think differently about running florescent lights 12 - 15 hours a day. I would also talk to the hall director or whoever oversees your building operations and let them know what you would like to do so they are aware and when that dang rumor mill gets started about you growing weed in your closet the housing staff is already aware and can respond appropriately.

xvart.

I know a grower that got his home collection "raided" by police. They found him because of suspicious consumption in his basement. The police broke in only to find dozens of heliamphoras and ultrahighland nepenthes. When he arrived home the police were very embarrassed.:-))

I've already taken this into account. If I need to, I'll do without a heater. I will be in a centrally heated dorm anyway. I might have to switch from small "ultralowlands" like N. bellii, to small intermediates, like N.gymnamphora in the worst case scenario. I will probalby have something covering the terrarium like a large towel or something if the light proves problimatic (which it will).

I know a grower that got his home collection "raided" by police. They found him because of suspicious consumption in his basement. The police broke in only to find dozens of heliamphoras and ultrahighland nepenthes. When he arrived home the police were very embarrassed.:-))

HAH! I guess maybe we all do look a little bit dazed and confused. Can't grow carnivorous plants without seeming a little medicated.....

Back