What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I crazy?

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
OK...don't answer that. hehe :rolleyes: :crazy:

Warning...long rant.

I just want to know if I am the only one who is horrified by some of the "toys" being made for small children (poisoned Chinese toys aside) and especially being pushed this Christmas. My coworkers think I am crazy. This is the first year I have seen SOOOO many of these kinds of toys.

:rant:

1) We're collectingToys for Tots so we all look over what is being dropped in our office box. Someone donated a MCDONALDS cash register toy with faux McD food. When you push keys on the register, a voice says things like "French fries!"..."Hamburger!". I think this is a horrible toy! One...its promoting a specific brand which means the buyer is essentially paying to advertise for McDonalds. Two...its imprinting children towards junk food (McD's in particular) making it "fun" and appealing when we have an epidemic of obesity in children from high fat/carb junk food and lack of exercise. How about an unbranded cash register with just some basic play money for fun.

2) I'm seeing all kinds of little computers for kids...not like 7-8 yr olds but toddlers!! They have all kinds of cutesy names and the commercials make it sound like a parent is helping their children learn with these "educational" toys. One commercial was for a computer for a child that didn't even look a year old! She was a baby! C'mon...whatever happened to the PARENTS working with their young children with shapes and colors and sounds, instead of dumping your kid in front of a computer and handing them a brightly-colored mouse? Sure computers are part of our culture now and those skills need to be learned at some point. But...too many young kids sit in front of computers endlessly playing (usually violent) video games. Ok...here it comes....when I was a kid, I was outside playing!! I had toys but I also used my imagination with sticks and acorns and mud. These early computer toys just train kids to find their entertainment sitting in front of a computer screen.

Am I nuts for thinking these things are VERY BAD toys for children? Why not give kids crayons and paper, jump rope, bouncy balls, tinkertoys, playdough, chalk, roller skates, bubble liquid, alphabet blocks, cards, ant farms, board games for families to play together.... *sigh* Children don't need to spend every moment being "educated" in a 2-D environment. Kids can learn by PLAYING. Exercise, imagination, creativity! Make up your own games! What about "Mother May I", "1-2-3 Red Light", "Swing the Statue", "I See Something", "Hang Man"?? All "little kid" games I played with my mother involving interaction, action and creativity.

I see these "toys" as nothing more than a marketing ploy to guilt parents into thinking they aren't doing right by their kids if they don't buy these so-called educational toys. What is the parent's role nowadays in tot education? To sit them on the floor and hand them a mouse? A mouse to me was the little red mouse in the MouseTrap
game where you had to construct an amazing working contraption that moved a silver ball all over a playing board in order to trigger the mouse trap.

I remember my mother helping me learn math with flash cards. Now kids play "educational video games." No parents involved. Parents can go do something else while the kids are kept entertained on the computer.

Nooo...I'd much rather have my one year old sitting in front of a computer slapping at oversized buttons and my 3 year old learning to dole out french fries at McDonalds. And can you see it...after playing with their french fries and hamburgers the kid looks up at Daddy and says "Can we go to McDonalds?" They sure won't be asking to go to Burger King. Score a big one for McDonalds in passing off advertising and influence as a TOY.

Like I said...my coworkers don't see anything wrong with the McDonald toy. They thought it was cute and I'm nuts for being horrified.

I have seen at least 3 different "computers" for small children advertised in the past couple of weeks--a terrible trend...in my opinion.

Off my :rant: soap box now. So...how many people think I'm crazy for thinking these toys are not good for toddlers?

You make good points, and make me want to get those tubes that the marbles went in and out of.

Dont worry we all know your crazy!

Dids do need exersize, thats what DDR is for! I cant sit and play a video game for 4-5 hours, i get bored. I wanna do something with friends run around be crazy.

We have one (or 2?) of these early learning systems. First of all, they will not work with just the TV and the baby... You sit there with them and help them through it.. you see the red star on the tv... you say "red star.. see it? the star is red! push the red star." and you move their hand to the red star. (a generic example.. but shows how the parent is needed to help with them) So I see this as just a modern flash card,book, or other learning tool. We also have those for our kids. To flop between the different forms of learning ("old" school and "new" school) is good I think. And both take parent interaction. There is that great commercial out about talking to your kids. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XomEA2ChjeE ) The bottom line is, we're all VERY busy... But when you have kids, make time for them. They need you.

Are there some that are marketed for just for kids? I don't know.. maybe older kids. But surely not the younger ones (or at least they won't "work".)

As far as the Mc. D. toy... It doesn't sound like something I'd let my kids play with. And for the parents that do decide to let their kids play with it, should be good adults when the kids say they want to eat there, remember to pick proper foods from the menu AND don't go "there" (to fast food places period) too frequently.

IMO, they arent great, but I also think you are over-reacting by quite a large degree.
I dont see how they are VERY BAD.

A McDonalds cash register is probably a very boring toy for most kids, and will be virtually ignored..and I also dont see the problem with these learning computer things, because as was mentioned, parents need to use with with the kids..

IMO just having a TV in the house is much worse for young children than these toys.

Scot

I totally agree. I'm not that old, but when I was a kid I was always outdoors. I had a Nintendo, but balanced that with baseball, manhunt, and other active outdoor activity. I don't know about "swing the statue" though. Sounds a little too intense for me.

My gripe is with the new "dolls" that are out for kids. Barbie was bad enough, an unrealistic woman for girls to strive to be. But now we have Bratz. Just what I want, my daughter to idolize something that looks like a friggin prostitute!! I swear that is a company run by pedophiles!!

My daughter is not going to be one of those kids. Last year she got a tool play set. This year she gets a microscope set.

early learning systems
. Ooops...I called them a toy! 'Scuse me. Early learning system. :D

I guess my point is...I learned all the stuff I was supposed to learn at the proper age and I didn't need a "computer" or "early learning system" to do it. I played with blocks and tinker toys and playdough. I don't feel kids NEED these things in order to learn "red star". Can't you cut a red star out of red paper and say "red star"? I think there is a certain "brainwashing" to make consumer parents think these "early learning systems" are necessary if you are going to give your kid an educational edge. Basic child's play IS learning. No one was forcing "learning" down my throat when I was only 1 year old and I turned out OK. ??? (Well, some might argue that. lol )

My daughter is not going to be one of those kids. Last year she got a tool play set. This year she gets a microscope set.
Good for you Travis! I hate gender stereotyping with kids. I was always drooling over my brother's rock kit, microscope, chemistry set. I was sneaking rocks out of his rock set all the time (the sulfur and galena). heehee Eventually I did get a microscope which I loved.

Recently there was a Dr. Phil show on those Bratz dolls. I'd never heard of them. But there was a woman on there who's 8 yr old twins were obsessed with them and even dressed like them. The mom didn't think it was a big deal but Dr. Phil said studies showed that young children definitely ARE very influenced by the toys they play with. There were even studies done with the Bratz dolls in particular. They showed the dolls on TV and I know MY kids wouldn't have them.

Oh yeah, Travis' post about tham "Bratz" is bang on- the whole aesthetic is appaling to me, and I don't even HAVE kids.

I also think anyone who would buy their young daughter a pair of "shows the underwear" pants with words we can't even POST here emblazoned on the butt should be taken in for evaluation of some kind.

You have a problem with computers for kids, but not a game that involves hanging a person for getting the wrong answer? I mean I know it's not a big deal, but if we over analyze we can find something wrong with almost anything. I don't think your concerns are invalid, but I don't think they are worth being "horrified" over. They can get the same commercial propaganda at school, walking down the street, on TV, in movies, and at home.

As far as Bratz dolls, I don't really see the big deal. Sure they look a little slutty, but they can see the same thing at school, walking down the street, on TV, in movies, and maybe even at home. At least Barbie had jobs and inspired women to be independent. To be fair, Bratz are supposed to be children (very slutty children.)

The proportions on those Bratz dolls are pretty bad. Their head must easily be 3 feet in diameter of they were real people. If anything, I'd be worried about the parents who'd let 10 year olds play Grand Theft Auto.

I just think its ironic when parents think they are helping their children by getting them these "educational" toys and think they are helping their kids get "smarter". Have they been to a public school in the last 10 years? Because they dont want to make anyone feel like they aren't as smart as someone else they make everyone dumb. Seriously making your kid the smartest 1st grader in the world wont mean anything by the time they are in fifth grade as they will have been "dumbed down" so that everyone can keep up.

I also see these "early learning systems" as a warning that we should all be look at. If we have no faith in the education system to take these children and teach them so we go out and buy stuff to teach them at home doesnt that tell us something. People buy these things but when it comes time to raise taxes to pay for improvements to schools they vote them down. I dont want this to turn into a debate on taxes so please dont make it one, I am just pointing out the strange ways people prioritize things.

Oh and for McD. toy, well only in the fattest nation on earth were 2/3 of our adults are overweight would a toy that advocates eating extremely fattening food seem like a good idea. Do I think it will convince kids to want to eat at McD's well, no they all pretty much already want to due to the advertising on TV and our general culture of eating more is better. I find all of these toys McD's one and the early learning system an indication that we need to take a serious look at our culture and consider changing it.

I agree that the Mcdonalds toy is going way too far, but the Education systems actually work quite well, they require both child and parent to be interactive with the system and eachother wich is good.
Downside tho, it contributes to setting television and electronics as free time standards (unless you control the hours they watch television, etc)

As far as Bratz dolls, I don't really see the big deal. Sure they look a little slutty, but they can see the same thing at school, walking down the street, on TV, in movies, and maybe even at home. At least Barbie had jobs and inspired women to be independent. To be fair, Bratz are supposed to be children (very slutty children.)

That is just the thing Clint, yeah they can see "sluts" all over but when you witness a 6-7 year old girl on the MARTA train turn to her mom and point to a very obvious prostitute and say "Mommy, she is so pretty, just like my Bratz doll. When I grow up I want to be like her!" Then you have a very obvious problem. When you teach your child it is appropriate to be a prostitue how can you expect her to value herself as she grows older??

Last edited:
I don't think I said anything about necessary... Or they wouldn't learn these things without the systems... And I think we're talking about different age groups. Cause I can't tell my 3yo to go outside and play baseball, haha. Sure there is outside time... But playtime can't be all the time. I absolutely believe learning begins at home. No reason to make them the "smartest kid in the neighborhood" But there is nothing wrong with a head start.

I mean, do any of us need alot of the the things we have?? That nice new SUV, that brand new computer, an oven??? (fire in a pit works great right?) As time goes by everything changes, that doesn't mean everything is worse, or everything is better... But I don't see the big hub-bub over a kid learning their ABCs and 123s from an electronic device, or blocks made from trees. Either way, the parent needs to sit down with them, and go through the motions... And I still don't think a combination of "old school" and "new school" methods isn't the way to go.

Andrew

They can get the same commercial propaganda at school, walking down the street, on TV, in movies, and at home.

Exactly! I don't think that's any better. :-( Why ADD to the plethora of sex and violence soaked magazines, TV shows and movies.

As far as Bratz dolls, I don't really see the big deal. Sure they look a little slutty,

The deal is the dolls are supposed to be children...who are dressed slutty. And the children who are playing with them want to emulate them. They think Bratz are wearing the latest fashions, not HO clothes. Barbie was an adult so at least Malibu Barbie was balanced with doctor Barbie.

Cause I can't tell my 3yo to go outside
lol No, but you can hold her hand and take her for a walk around the block. :) When I was a little kid I loved going to visit my grandmother "in town." She'd take me for a walk around the block and I just loved it. All along the way she'd stop and chat with her neighbors. She was the one who took me into her gardens and taught me about deadheading and things like that. I was only like 4-5. She taught me Chinese checkers and we played that all the time.

No parent is perfect and there is no perfect toy. I just think that too often these days parent's buy what's "hot" on TV and don't give it much thought.

Its a good thing I don't have kids. I'd have no gun toys, no violent video games and no dolls that dress like sluts and do nothing but go to malls. Tinkertoys, Lincoln Logs, and playdough! :D Oh yeah...and a microscope. hehe And an ant farm.

Surely you didn't hold hands and walk around the block all day long! haha We go to the park quite a bit... Which is over at my parents house... wich is where my g/h is.. (which is the house I take over in about a year :D )so we're over there ALOT. But, at some point, you have to sit down and do some learning... I'm just saying no matter the method, if you do it, you're on the right track.

So far, my kids only chew on lincoln logs and tear up what I build, but that just makes them tri purpose! soon they'll figure out to copy daddy and build stuff... Then I can be the monster and destroy it all!!!! bwahahahhaha

I have more of a problem with all the "educational" programming (read cartoons) than I do with the toys you're picking on. Thes "shows" are made to drop your kid down and let them "learn". THAT is a waste to me. At least 4 hours a day of it... :0o: I don't see a problem with it every now and again... I got just a little bit of the big bird when I was a kid too...

That is just the thing Clint, yeah they can see "sluts" all over but when you witness a 6-7 year old girl on the MARTA train turn to her mom and point to a very obvious prostitute and say "Mommy, she is so pretty, just like my Bratz doll. When I grow up I want to be like her!" Then you have a very obvious problem. When you teach your child it is appropriate to be a prostitue how can you expect her to value herself as she grows older??

Touché lol. I guess it also depends on the individual child and you'd have to put things in the proper context for your kid if you let them play with the dolls

Touché lol. I guess it also depends on the individual child and you'd have to put things in the proper context for your kid if you let them play with the dolls

Yes it probably does depend on the child and the parent as well. Unfortunately more and more these days there are fewer and fewer real parents. They are more just "breeding pairs"...

just for fun :D

My future home, showing neighborhood park and elementary school. That picture doesn't show my green house :(

Last edited:
Yes it probably does depend on the child and the parent as well. Unfortunately more and more these days there are fewer and fewer real parents. They are more just "breeding pairs"...
Ditto! The Bratz dolls are nothing more than trash.

Learning computers for kids are fine with me as long as they do not replace the parents. My 7 year old brother uses my ancient V-Tech Learning Computer that I used when I was his age. It is great for getting him to practice and reinforce his math, spelling, and reading instead of watching TV during free time.

Back