What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the hell is this on my sphagnum???

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

I was as usual carrying my usual chore of spraying the plants when I suddenly notice this::

2095886975_a98fdf34e4_b.jpg

2096654654_c2e07c569f_o.jpg

I cut off as much as I can.... and this is a closer look

2095875597_0a11309619_o.jpg

lOoks really strange. I washed it off the sphag...but it was hard to remove without spillting the sphag itself into pieces. Under washing it was mostly like brownish/yellow dirt particles. I waited and observed for a while and ensured taht there was no movement among the particles.

Now...my question is... is this a sort of fungus?? is it fugal spores?? I cut off as many of the sphag shoots that had this hoping that it wouldn't go rampant if it was something.

It doesn't look like dead sphagnum. IT SEEMS LIKE SOME SORT OF DEPOSIT.

Now...my water is distilled water only. So as u can see... I am perplexed in this situation. My rajah also grows in LFS + bark in the outer reaches of the pot...so there is no peat.

Just curious.

thanks,

V

Well there is one thing I can tell you for sure, you have your macro photography and complimentary lighting down pat.
Nice images!
As for what the oddity is with your sphag, idunno....

looks like some type of algae.
just cut off all you can find.
great macro, what camera are you using?

lmao!!! lol! rofl! THis camera is a canon powershot A95. lol! There is a macro function....but its not too hawt. I am infact thinking about getting a real DSLR camera as this is my parents camera. :p

I
SPECS

<table><tbody><tr> <th>Camera Type:</th> <td>Point & Shoot</td> </tr> <tr> <th>Megapixels:</th> <td> 5.0 Megapixels </td> </tr> <tr> <th>Optical Zoom:</th> <td> 3.0 X </td> </tr> <tr> <th>LCD Size:</th> <td> 1.8 in </td> </tr> <tr> <th>Media Type:</th> <td> CompactFlash</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_a95/

lol! no complimentary lighting....no stand... just hand taken. Had to take like 10 snaps for each as I increase the aperture size to like 1/20 to get good light inside the enclousure of my neps.

Its a decent camera....waay better than a cell phone cam or something..but I wouldn't buy it if it was up to me. I would use flickr's camera finder.... see the top few cameras, check their quality, look for a camera with removable lenses and then get that one. Here is another "SHOT AT A MACRO". this points the weakness as I cannot go any closer. THIS IS IT. :(

As u see I wanted to take a nice shot of the flower..but this is as close as it allows me to go at good quality. The results u see above which seem closer is becos I "CROPPED a 2500 px image to select only the relevant parts".

2098491734_0180617d16_o.jpg

hope this helps.

thanks again. I never expected that anyone would say that. lol! I personally think my pics stink. lol! Good to hear otherwise. :p

Hey..check this out. Its a full uncropped pic. I actually thought that this was personally one of my best pics seeing how beautifully the moss came... i.e, translucent and sharp :p
But, once again..this is as far as i can go to the moss. Hence, I wouldnt compare this to a REAL macro.

2097730839_0f240715e3_b.jpg

Back