What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting better macro shots with your crummy camera

DrWurm

Californian in DC
This thread is for those of you with compact "soccer mom" digicams, not 8000 dollar DSLR, SEM, ASDF cameras.

So, I stumbled across this on the interhighway today, while not undergoing buyer's remorse, but maybe buyer's disappointment over the unimpressive macro setting on my 97 dollar camera.

http://www.photocritic.org/2006/macro-with-compact-cameras/

And boy, am I glad i didn't go out and buy some crazy SLR cam like these other crazy people :jester:

The only magnifying glass i had around was this scratched plastic thing:

I was not expecting much, but dayyyyyyyyyyyam, much much improvement. This shot is impossible without my mag glass.

That's a binata unraveling there. The top coil of the dew leaves is about as thick as the edge of a dime.

Here's a before and after of an immature N. Ephippiata pitcher.

I'm not sure if this is just something everyone already knew and just never told me, but i figure i might help the one person out there as oblivious as me.

The conclusion being, before you rush out and buy a big expensive camera with your rent money, why not pick up a magnifying glass for a few bucks?

lol! I do this as well. :p especially when taking pics of my ceph's growth point. :p

This thread is for those of you with compact "soccer mom" digicams,

your buying the wrong "soccer mom" digi cams...................i took some kick arse macro shots with my point and shoot on a regular basis........$300 should get yah a good point and shoot that can take good macros

your buying the wrong "soccer mom" digi cams...................i took some kick arse macro shots with my point and shoot on a regular basis........$300 should get yah a good point and shoot that can take good macros

Well, I'm 17. So I can't go around making 300 dollar purchases without adversely affecting my quality of life.

lol actually a $300 purchace for something like a camera isnt an off the cuff type purchase for me which is why even though my camera died a month ago i still havent replaced it. however i aint going to buy $150 camera that wont do macro just to have a camera when a $300 one will......ill just do without a camera for awhile till i can buy what ill be happy with.....

Meh, I think I'll survive

if it works for you great.......ive just spent thousands of dollars on various equipment through out the years just so i would have something right now instead of holding out and buying what i wanted and waiting awhile.........speaking from experiance, holding out is almost always better........

all the shots i make are with a non modified point and shoot....it has a setting called digital macro....its supposed to be blury....but heres a few nice shots to show :)
IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

people keep saying its the digital zoom thatll kill anything....but i think i have a miracle camera ;)
Alex

what's that in the first pic?

S. leucophylla lip on a dewy morning

Back